PDA

View Full Version : Help me design my Hybrid

JAustin
11-11-2005, 05:52 AM
I'm ready to take the plunge into natural gut for the first time. For durability and value reasons, I'm thinking about starting with a hybrid, although if it can be considerably better to go all gut, I'll consider that too.

About me:
- Yonex MP Tour-5
- Techifibre NRG2 17 strung at 55lbs feels good to me after a couple of weeks
- Good SW forehand with a lot of topspin
- 50/50 1h slice backhand/2h topspin backhand

From what I've read, I've decided to go with Babolot VS for the gut, but I'm not sure about the guage. I haven't been a big string breaker in the past. I know high guage=more spin. Will lower guage be easier or harder on the arm?

I have also seem some information about Yonex recomending different tensions in crosses vs mains, but I'm not sure exactly.

I'd appreciate any feedback on cross strings and tensions to try. Also, should I use string savers?

thanks

samster
11-11-2005, 06:43 AM
JAustin,

I use MP-Tour 5 and I string it with a gut/poly hybrid. My setup is Klip Legend 17 (main) at 55 and Klip K-boom 17 (cross) at 53 lbs. For all the yonex rackets, you are supposed to string the crosses 5% less tension, but I just lower by couple lbs. The strings don't move too much with this setup; spin is better with this setup because the mains don't move. If I would do it all over again, I would probably string the poly the same tension because I think the poly does seem to lose tension faster than the gut. So at the end, the cross ends up couple lbs less tight anyway. The VS gut is an excellent string, I tried the 17 gauge before and I would say it has more power than the Klip Legend 17 gut. If you want spin, I would recommend thinner strings.