PDA

View Full Version : Next NG Try

bruce nissenbaum
11-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Did not like Titan 17 for my first ever use of NG. Don't think experience with Titan should be basis of any decision to stay away from NG. So, want to try another NG in my PSC 6.1 95 at mid #. Would like to choose something in $25 category: Bab Tonic +, Klip Legend, or BDE Performance. I've read a lot of generalizations about each string on these boards and, frankly, I think I could easily try any of them on that basis. However, can anyone provide any info to support a preference specific to the PSC 6.1?? And I am willing to consider $35 for top-o-line Bab with specific info that this would be the one to use in the PSC 6.1. For reference, I am using primarily LF Supreme 17 and testing Bab Syn Brio 17, both of which I find significantly better than Titan NG. I also like Rip Control 17.

Rabbit
11-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Take one step up and try any of the first three you mentioned. Tonic, Legend, or Perf are all about equal and provide a very good value for $ spent. If you really like them, then spring for the higher dollar gut. Based on my experience, I don't think the additional $s are worth the top end gut.

Cruzer
11-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree with the previous comment regarding Babolat Tonic, Klip Legend, or BDE. All are very good strings and the difference between them and VS, other than price is negligible. I personally think Babolat Tonic is the best value in a gut string.

Richie Rich
11-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Tonic + would be a good choice for you since it's 15L guage and your racquet has a pretty open string pattern and will go through 16/17 gut pretty quickly. also use stringsavers to extend the life of the gut when you first notice any fraying.

i've also heard good things about klip and bde but have only played with the babolat line of gut (touch and tonic)

Keifers
11-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I've had good experience with BDE Perf. Not so good with Klip Legend, which starts off feeling quite stiff and un-NG-like. I've asked about a break-in period with Legend, but have gotten different answers. Your PSC 6.1 is a stiffer-playing racquet, imo, so...

Kevo
11-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Based on what you say you like, I'm going to guess that you won't like NG. However, you didn't say specifically what you didn't like about the Titan NG?

bruce nissenbaum
11-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Based on what you say you like, I'm going to guess that you won't like NG. However, you didn't say specifically what you didn't like about the Titan NG?

Kevo, you may very well be right, but I want to try at least one more NG.

I reviewed my experience with Titan in the following thread,

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74898&highlight=titan.

All responses to this point greatly appreciated.

Kevo
11-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Well, from your description of Titan, you should definitely like Klip better. I thought it was very comfortable to hit with, and had good feel. I didn't like the tension loss and associated increase in power. I strung it at 60/57 in my RDX 500, and it was pretty good for a few hours. Maybe I should have done a heavy prestretch, or strung it several pounds tighter, but at the tension I strung it at I like Babolat Powergy a lot better, and you can find it for $9, so I doubt I'll go spend another $25 on gut for a while.

bruce nissenbaum
11-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Well, from your description of Titan, you should definitely like Klip better.

Coated or uncoated?

bcaz
11-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Bruce --

Several good suggestions here. Bab Tonic Ball Feel is a good value but you can't buy it any thinner than a relatively thick 16g. Klip Legend is excellent string in 16g and 17g -- haven't tried 18. I have a set of uncoated but haven't tried it yet. BDE Perf is also a terrific choice -- it seems a mite softer, slightly less crisp, than the Klip. I have a set of Rallye but haven't tried it -- I'm guessing it would similar to Ball Feel, and it's cheaper. As for Bab VS, it's very good but I failed to see any advantage over BDE or Klip. If anything, I've found VS to be less durable, and it's a drag to break $35 string, even when stringing yourself. OTOH, Tonic Ball Feel is quite durable. Overall, I find a big difference in durability between 17g and 16g natgut. I love the feel of 17g but sometimes I string with 16g instead to extend the string job's life or to reduce the power.

Kevo
11-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Coated or uncoated?

I hit with the coated, but the uncoated supposedly has better feel. It is a little bit less durable and more difficult to string though.

bruce nissenbaum
11-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Thx for all the responses. I've eliminated Tonic+ Ball Feel because I have a preference for 17g, and I've decided to try BDE Performance because it is listed slightly thinner than Klip and I've never broken a syn gut, multi or mono.
I'll post my experience. Thx again for all the help.