PDA

View Full Version : Tried a full natural gut job-fantastic, now help me add some power to this set up

dr4hand
11-11-2005, 10:05 AM
All of you who has told me it is going to be great, you were right.

I played with a Gamma natural gut 17 g, strung at 55 lb in my Head Composite professional, 18X20 and it was fantastic.

Now, the down side of the experiment, gut dropped some tension after braking in however I can tell it will "rebound" a bit and stabilize the stringbed so that the strings will move less as during the first set that I have played with the racket. IN other words after I rested the racket overnight the stringbed "settled" and stiffened up a bit. HOwever the strings did move around and if you consider play in humid weather and a player that swets then manual string adjustment between points will directly mean getting the gut wet unless sombody is patient enough to use a towel after each exchange.

3 questions:

1. Would putting stringsavers decrease (screw up) the feel and playability of the stringbed? And how.

2. How can I increase power and stay close to gut with a set up that would loose very little tension over time? SInce my rachet is low powered I clearly need some help in the power department, hybrid is the answer ?

3. I am on my way to trying Klip legent natural gut after this set up brakes. DO you think klip or other gut brand would give more power a priori? Or I am destinned to enter the hybrid club here if I seek more power then a full gut job can provide?

Thank you in advance.

dr4hand

MTChong
11-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't know how you'd get more power because Natural Gut is already the most powerful string on the market and a hybrid would only decrease it; lowering the tension may be a viable option.

SageOfDeath
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Natural gut has a couple qualities that makes it desirable. It its known to hold its tension longer than other strings and lose less tension. It is known to be very powerful. It is known to have excellent comfort and feel.

I don't know how you want to gain more power without reducing string tension, other than maybe trying a different natural gut that might be more powerful.

Kevo
11-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I just cut some Klip gut out of my frame today. The feel of the hit was nice, and control was good in the beginning, but this gut seemed to get more loose and more powerful every time I played. Oddly when I cut it out, there was very little resilience left. Only the first string snapped back about 2 or three inches, and that was it. All the rest stayed in place. I've only seen that happen with old nylon strings before.

Anyway, if you want power this gut has it. I could hit the fences with a half swing if I didn't put a boat load of spin on the ball. This gut was much more powerful the the Babolat tonic + I had tried in the past. I strung it at 60/57 in my RDX mid. I am switching back to synthetics again, because I just can't stop smackin' the fuzz off the ball, and I need it to stay some where inside the fence at least. ;-)