PDA

View Full Version : severity of crossovers

thevillageidiot
11-12-2005, 01:29 AM
I'll start by saying that I did a search before posting this new thread, but I did not find anything regarding how serious crossovers were in stringjobs. I only saw cautions to not do them.

I have just strung my first two racquets after receiving my gamma x-2 in the mail. After looking over the manual a few more times, I realized that I actually performed a crossover on one side of the racquet. I was wondering how serious the abrasion would be on a crossover, and if it was something worth having to restring the entire racquet over.

Many thanks for any response in advance.

@ce
11-12-2005, 02:13 AM
It really depends on where the crossover is located and if you tend to scrape the court in that area.
Is is worth restringing the entire racquet over??? Unless it is a customers racquet, I wouldn't. What is the worst that can happen?? You go out and break the string and have to restring anyway or maybe you don't break the string at all.
Either way, you've learned to check more closely when restringing next time.

thevillageidiot
11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
thanks for the reply

Richie Rich
11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
it's no big deal if you are doing your own racquets. i've even misweaved a cross when not paying attention and it doesn't effect playability. just looks silly.

LoveThisGame
11-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Crossovers are something to strive to avoid.

That said, I've know frames, mostly years ago when string patterns had more possibilities for this to happen, where at times you simply could not avoid a crossover because of the grommet holes having bias from previous stringings.

There is a racquetball frame today, a high price one, where you can not guarantee no crossovers due to the racquet design.

maddog2020
11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok - here is a dumbass newbie question - What is a crossover?

Ian

thevillageidiot
11-13-2005, 10:37 PM
it's basically when you're going to tie a knot, and the string goes over one that is already on the grommet and makes an "x". I was trying to find diagrams, but no luck on the net. I found it in a pamphlet that introduced the startings of stringing that came with my x-2.

TN1
11-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Okay, so I just started stringing too. I did a crossover on one of my racquets when I was doing an ATW pattern. Anyway, what's soo bad about a crossover besides it looking bad. I'm assuming it weakens the string underneath it????

thevillageidiot
11-14-2005, 12:01 AM
basically there is more abrasion between the two strings. in extreme cases, it might be the cause of string breakage.

Steve Huff
11-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Add a small piece of racket head protection tape over the crossover. Gamma, Babolat and Unique all make it.

wonder_wall
11-14-2005, 09:02 AM
basically there is more abrasion between the two strings. in extreme cases, it might be the cause of string breakage.
Thanks for starting this thread. I believe you're talking about abrasion from something other than racket contact with the court, correct? You're saying there is more abrasion from string movement where those two strings are on one top of the other instead of side by side? I'd guess some people out here would disagree with that, as to me also it would seem like those strings *outside the frame* are not particularly moving. But perhaps I'm wrong... What exactly are you saying here?

thevillageidiot
11-14-2005, 05:17 PM
i think abrasion between the two strings and from contact from the court are both possibilities when talking about crossovers

wonder_wall
11-14-2005, 09:49 PM
i think abrasion between the two strings and from contact from the court are both possibilities when talking about crossovers
A little more info I just found because I was very curious about this: a reference to crossovers at tennis.com. In a guide on what to check for after a string job, they say you should look for crossovers at the 10 and 2 positions. This would seem to imply that at the 4 and 8 positions they don't really matter (since those areas can't possibly contact the court while playing).

It'd be interesting if you were correct about the abrasions between the strings, but intuitively it seems hard to imagine....