PDA

View Full Version : Broke 2 strings: same spot, approx. same time, WHY???

asintu
11-12-2005, 05:27 AM
I went to indoor clay courts yesterday for the first time and was very excited to try my newly strung Volk V-rex 16L...I loved it for the first 40 min...but then I mishit the ball, i think the ball hit the grommed/frame some weird way and the string broke into two.
The first part of the string is here:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31508225297.jpg&s=x2
The second looks like it was cut with the razor/scissors.
Veeeery weird...right??!!!

I then played for aniother 30-40 min with a 6hr. old Tecnifibre Spinfire Maxipower. Same kind of misshit..grommet/frame/string !!!
First side of the string is here:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31508214127.jpg&s=x2
Second side looks like it was cut perfectly with a razor blade.

Neither string was thin where it broke...or at least that's what I think.
Question: WHY did they brake???? Cause of the clay, misshiting, grommet, bad stringing? HEELLPP!!!!

wonder_wall
11-12-2005, 05:52 AM
I went to indoor clay courts yesterday for the first time and was very excited to try my newly strung Volk V-rex 16L...I loved it for the first 40 min...but then I mishit the ball, i think the ball hit the grommed/frame some weird way and the string broke into two.
The first part of the string is here:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31508225297.jpg&s=x2
The second looks like it was cut with the razor/scissors.
Veeeery weird...right??!!!

Did you string the racket? If not, did a friend do it, a sports store or a reputable place. Do you know what kind of machine they used? (This last is just for me to get some kind of factual idea about the place where you took it.)

The pictures don't clearly show which part of the racket head these occurred in. It's clearly in a cross both times, but is it a cross that's closer to the head side or throat side?

Can you take two wider pictures showing the whole racket head (that way we'd have complete information along with your 2 close-ups).

Masamusou
11-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Very clear that they are both up towards the head, if they were to the throat there would be the yellow Babolat stripes in the picture. You can see part of the Aero Drive wording on the inside of the frame in picture one, that's how I can tell. My guess would be standard shear breakage, probably quickened by the clay. Usually on clay the balls tend to get a bit heavier as they pick up particles, so a hard mishit is easily enough to cause that kind of breakage. Past that, I can't tell you if it's because of a bad stringing, bad grommet, or what, but I can tell you with quite a bit of certainty that it was just a fairly normal shear break. The first picture of the Volkl string looks a bit like a bad grommet, or the string got weakened in that area somehow.

wonder_wall
11-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Very clear that they are both up towards the head, if they were to the throat there would be the yellow Babolat stripes in the picture. You can see part of the Aero Drive wording on the inside of the frame in picture one, that's how I can tell. My guess would be standard shear breakage, probably quickened by the clay...
Here's what I was thinking:

Possible failure by the stringer to ensure the grommet strip stayed in during the pull. This causes the string to get pulled hard against the hard edge of the frame and I believe can cause this kind of breakage. This tends to happen I think mostly in the throat-side corners where the grommet strip ends. (Any stringer have experience with this happening on the head side corners?)

I certainly think it's quite unusual to break two rackets so quickly in such a similar way, mishit or not. If you tell the stringer you mishit, he'll blame you immediately I think. I don't necessarily buy that.

I'm not clear on what kind of string though - what is it?

Other opinions?

asintu
11-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Few replies for you guys:

I got it strung at Kunstadt..a sports store here in Ottawa, Canada.
Not sure what machine they used to string it
They were bith mains..at the top of the head. They broke exactly at the top grommet..a bit to the side.

wonder_wall
11-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Few replies for you guys:

I got it strung at Kunstadt..a sports store here in Ottawa, Canada.
Not sure what machine they used to string it
They were bith mains..at the top of the head. They broke exactly at the top grommet..a bit to the side.
Hmm, so they're not crosses at all...

I see which string type it is now, I thought you were giving a racket model - so that's a poly and it broke that quickly? Doesn't that seem odd to people?

I can't see a stringer error argument here now, though I still would suspect it.

How hard do you hit the ball?

How long do strings generally last you?

Was this a rare occasion playing on clay?

asintu
11-12-2005, 09:02 AM
The longest lasting string for me was Pro Hurricane at 8hrs.
It was my first time on clay this year, yes.
I hit the ball hard and with tons of spin.

diredesire
11-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Hmm, so they're not crosses at all...

I see which string type it is now, I thought you were giving a racket model - so that's a poly and it broke that quickly? Doesn't that seem odd to people?

I can't see a stringer error argument here now, though I still would suspect it.

How hard do you hit the ball?

How long do strings generally last you?

Was this a rare occasion playing on clay?

It looks to me just like a shear due to a mishit. If someone hits the ball very very close to the frame right on the string, it will snap because of the extreme angle and resistance from the frame. It typically just cleanly snaps. I would rule out a grommet strip popping out because that typically only happens on the lower "corner" on the crosses. Also, babolat frames have flared grommets, securing the bumper guard further.

I would only suspect grit/dirt/sharpness in the grommets, but IMO there is not a real definitive reason to suspect this.

Another thing i would suspect is a knot crushing the anchor string, but neither picture looks like it broke exactly on the knot.

A final thing to look at is if you bumper guard is worn down, it may expose the string, so it wears down quickly due to court rash.

With a stiff string like a poly, it is not unusual to shear the string(s) on a mishit. It doesn't happen everyday or anything, but it is a fairly common occurrence. In fact, a friend of mine shanked and broke his CROSS (syn gut) just last night. Chalk it up to bad luck, i suppose, because it happened to you twice in a day ;)

doriancito
11-12-2005, 09:15 AM
very funny!, but both racquets are the aero drive and he stated he used the volvkl then a technifibre

modula2
11-12-2005, 09:22 AM
very funny!, but both racquets are the aero drive and he stated he used the volvkl then a technifibre

Not really, because he meant his strings. Racquets and strings can be different brands you know...

doriancito
11-12-2005, 09:22 AM
oh.....i thought he meant the racquet

LoveThisGame
11-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Just backing up diredesire. Shear fractures are not strangers, particularly with polyester string and windshield wiper heavy topspin swings in which there is some variability in the contact point on the strings. They can happen at any time, including right after re-stringing.

One of my well playing junior customers was having shear breakage problems as well as hitting too short. He has changed from his recently adopted western grip to sw with positive results.

asintu
11-12-2005, 03:44 PM
thanx for replies guys...from all your comments i came to the conclusion it was because of the mishit...oh well..better luck next time for me i guess! :)

wonder_wall
11-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Just backing up diredesire. Shear fractures are not strangers, particularly with polyester string and windshield wiper heavy topspin swings in which there is some variability in the contact point on the strings....
Yes, I think dd summed it up fine, it doesn't seem like there's any easily detectable stringer error. One last ditch thing to suggest would be look for signs of wear near the edges of the OTHER strings, this might indicate clamps too tight. Probably unlikely though...

Jon Hampton
11-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Looks like a shear break to me, which is when one of your grommet holes is sharp and saws into the string, causing it to break. Used to happen with me on my old racket when I served. The top of the grommet was really sharp and on a single hard serve it would snap. Get your grommet things replaced.

diredesire
11-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Looks like a shear break to me, which is when one of your grommet holes is sharp and saws into the string, causing it to break. Used to happen with me on my old racket when I served. The top of the grommet was really sharp and on a single hard serve it would snap. Get your grommet things replaced.

I'd like to add that the grommet strip does not NEED to be worn down or sharp to create a shearing breakage.

volleys_tennis_master
11-12-2005, 07:42 PM
That kind of string breakage happens alot on babolat drive racquets. It happens all the time with my bro's and my friends racquets. Tell your stringer about it, and if he knows what tubing is, he/she will use it to protect the strings from future breakage.