PDA

View Full Version : scary experience

FaSteStSeRvE1613
02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
A couple of days ago, I was stringin a costumer's Prince TT Scream MP with Let r' Rip 16g.He had provided the string. I have a Laserfibre MS200ECO and have strungs 100's of frames on it. Well, so I started, and when tensioning like the 4th main, the string (poly) snapped. It was really loud and the whole tensioning unit came out of the machine. The base of the machine and the turntable were the only things left. The drop weight along with the arm barely missed my xbox.SoI checked everything, clamps, mounting, tensioner, and everything seemed to be right. So I went ahead and told my costumer about the string being defective. He complained to Prince and got a refund. But I still lost one of my most valuable costumers... just thought I would share with you. By the way, I dont think the machine had anything to do with it. But man, I got soooo scared, especially because I thought I had finally broken my first racquet (which I didnt)

Deuce
02-27-2004, 01:43 AM
"The drop weight along with the arm barely missed my xbox."

That's pretty funny. Good to see you've got your priorities straight.

Someone will inevitably ask the pertinent question - so it might as well be me: What tension were you pulling? (Be honest.)

topspin
02-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Poly has been known to snap like that. I'd suggest pulling tension a little slower for polys just in case.

Jerry Seinfeld
02-27-2004, 09:33 AM
I don't understand how you lost a customer? It sounds as if you handled it professionally. If you had provided the string I am sure you would have replaced it at no charge. Bad strings sometimes happen. Just an occupational hazard of providing your own string to a stringer. (Which I have some issues with anyway!) In the future try to make your customers aware that if they provide the string you can't guarantee it won't snap.

Glad to hear the X-Box survived!

Stinkdyr
02-27-2004, 09:44 AM
I restrung with used Poly, it snapped pretty soon into the job. Was strung first time at 60 and second time too. It had 10 hours on it, so string was already notched. Just wanted to experiment to see if it could be reused. Answer: nope.

FaSteStSeRvE1613
02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
I was stringing at 62. I also offered him a free replacement string but he refused...

David Pavlich
02-27-2004, 06:48 PM
I had that happen with Rip Control. The first one was in the racquet and about a third of the way through the crosses, the string popped. I thought it was my fault because Rip Control doesn't take well to an inadvertant kink.

So I grabbed a second package. After I prestretched it, I ran my fingers over the length of the string. Darned if I didn't find a bad spot. When I looked at the Rip Control on the slat wall, I found that the next package had what looked like a pinched spot. But the rest of the stuff was ok.

So, while rare, a bad package can happen once in a while. I've never had a poly break in the stinger, but I always slow my machine down when stringing the miserable stuff.
David