PDA

View Full Version : Experience with string saver usage in full gut stringbed

dr4hand
11-12-2005, 05:12 PM
HI there,

DO you guys put in string savers only after you see fraying in certain strings and only to the spot where the fraying is or you put the saver in for the whole sweetspot once it starts fraying?

Thank you.

jack mckinney
11-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I put them as soon as i string the racquet. That way i seem to get more play time out of it before it breaks.

wonder_wall
11-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Agree that you put them in when the racket is strung, and I know apparently Gaines and diredesire don't agree with this, but to me doing it their way makes no sense. The idea is to protect the strings and you do that *before* they're messed up. Why would you wait and do it *after* they're frayed in a spot?

Their way, the effect on your string lifetime I'd say would be insignificant.

The string savers prevent the strings cutting into each other as well, so how are you going to selectively enable that aspect of their use putting them in here and there. Quite obviously, you can't.

diredesire
11-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Agree that you put them in when the racket is strung, and I know apparently Gaines and diredesire don't agree with this, but to me doing it their way makes no sense. The idea is to protect the strings and you do that *before* they're messed up. Why would you wait and do it *after* they're frayed in a spot?

Their way, the effect on your string lifetime I'd say would be insignificant.

The string savers prevent the strings cutting into each other as well, so how are you going to selectively enable that aspect of their use putting them in here and there. Quite obviously, you can't.

I'm not saying it can't be done any other way, but string savers CAN change the feel of a string bed, and many people don't like that, and play with straight gut for a reason. Inserting string savers after they begin to fray can help limit the fraying in a given area, and attempt to maintain the playability characteristics of the string bed for as long as possible. Clipping off the fraying loose ends (when they're starting to unravel) can also help the durability. It all depends on your criteria, really. I don't think most people have utmost durability on their mind when it comes to gut. Trying to keep them in your racquet as long as possible while negating some of the benefits it gives is IMO not the best idea.

I'm not saying it's best to do it this way, because it all boils down to personal preference, but if you have the right criteria in mind (utmost playability) then i think it makes sense to me.

Heck, if it made sense to pistol pete, i think i can stomach the notion.

dr4hand
11-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Thank you for sharing that.

I indeed wondered if it is possible to fill in patches of fraying to prevent breakage and maintain feel. SO your experience diredesire aswered that part.
ON the other hand in my other racket I still had my older Head Intellitour 17 g strings in that pplayed great for about 2 sets and then lost tension to the degree of unusability. NOw, I have put some savers over there to basically get accustomed to putting them in. Guess what,- as my daughter says, the strigbed stiffened up again due to the savers and the racket feels great now.
Back to gut, when I first played with gut 3 days ago, it first lost some tension so that the strings moved a little (pain in the neck since it was a humid day and I had to use a towel alot to adjust strings and p[revent sweat to drip on them). Next day though the strigbed stiffened back up a little bit and, I am yet to find out if the gut stiffened back up enough to prevent the movement during competitive play as I did not play a match since.
The point however is that I can understand wonderwalls point as well. It is conceivable that if you put in the savers right after the stringbed and before playing then the full gut job will feel a little stiffer but still incredibly playable and will let down some tension and stiffen back up- all with a consistent change in feel and savers in place. I assume BTW that the savers will stay in place better since the stiffenning process would wedge the savers into place real well. This should not be a problem to those of you who likes stiffe seeling stringbeds. (I am not one of those).

Does this all sound reasonable to you?

In a word, personal preference and feel may dictate which way is better to whom.

Thanks for your valuable input as allways.

You should feel guilty for creating another gut using monster here.

NOw some closing comments from my other daugheter who just can't help not to say something here: 6ttttttttt6t67fff67555555555555555rrrrrrr777tyyf e.

My older daughter wants to share her experience now too. At least she plays tennis somehow...: "I can not fix the problem.SORRY- You know what I
mean. Dont you ?"

Gee, what is she's going to say when she'll turn 14...

Best wishes to all readers and players