PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Strings (Again)

zorg
11-13-2005, 07:53 PM
I heard JMac talk a lot about how Luxilon strings hurt your arm. I know he says a lot of false things, but, is this correct? Because I have a FP Radical MP I want to put ALU Power Rough 17 @ 57, will this be hard on my arm, and should I soften it up a bit with something like XCel? Or will it be fine?

One a side note: Does the tension 57 sound good? I am used to the power of an nCode 90 @ 55 (which isn't that small I must say), will this be similar power?

PrestigeClassic
11-13-2005, 08:48 PM
It depends. If you've had arm problems in the past or are used to natural gut like JMac, then I would first try it only in the crosses depending. I see that you're wanting to string each frame at the middle of each recommended range. In that case, how about stringing the Radical at 51 pounds, which takes into affect Luxilon's recommended 10 percent lower tension. Luxilon seems spot-on about that recommendation if you look at reference/actual tensions or whatever it is called. It is truly stiff string, stiff stringbed, has its merits and bad points like everything else. Definitely worth a try, I'm sure even JMac did.

OnyxZ28
11-13-2005, 11:58 PM
I have Lux BB ALU 16L in the mains of my PCXL @ 48 lbs, Sensation 16 in the Xs @ 50 lbs. Ouch. Just. Ouch.

Gaines Hillix
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I've played with Lux ALU in full and hybrid jobs in PK Laver Type S frames @58 lbs. I've also played with it in a PS 6.0 95 @ 58 lbs. and a POG Mid at 63 lbs. I've never had a hint of arm problems with it in any of these frames, but I don't play every day for several hours like pros do. I like to be able to take full cuts at the ball, but maintain control and this seems to do the trick. I noticed that with ALU mains and nat gut crosses the feel is softer as expected without much loss of control. In a frame with an 18X20 pattern the stringbed is gong to be stiffer to start with. Since you are used to 55 lbs. in a 16X19 pattern I wouldn't go above that with the FP Rad MP. I'd be inclined to start at 52 lbs. and go from there.

Jonnyf
11-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Gaines i have actually experianced pain from Luxilon (however it was in a PD+ and APD and LM Radical ) i feel that for a short period the string rocks then IMO (or atleast for me) slight pain arises. Maybe it's just that i'm a kid so my tendons etc aren't developed properly.

And on a side note if you aint busy you should e-mail me i think you'd like it :-)

zorg
11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
I want the same power I got from the nCode 90 with a tension of 55( using ALU Power Mains and Gut crosses). They are not the same power, so why would I string it at 55 as well? I think the Radical has more power right? If so, around 57, if it has less, around 53 then. Can anyone tell me which has more power, nCode 90 or FP Radical MP?

Jonnyf
11-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Tw has
ncode 64
Lm rad 72
(i personally hated the LM radical OS put me off an OS

zorg
11-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Anyone else have any insight on if it is harmful for your arm?

thejackal
11-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I dont know for sure, but I played with a friend's n6-1 strung with full hurricane 16 and hated its boardyness. On the other hand I use hurricane 18 hybrids with no problems.

doriancito
11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
no matter what string, what tension, what racquet it is! as long as you hit the ball against the strings with the sweetspot you will NEVER have arm problems , but if you are one of those players who keeps on hitting the ball with the frame you will have arm problems

zorg
11-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Last question- The ALU Power is really powerful right? Its not like other Luxilon strings?

ambro
11-14-2005, 07:09 PM
No polys are really powerful. It bothers me when people say/assume that, just because it has power in the name. It is not by any means a powerful string.

zorg
11-14-2005, 07:32 PM
How come I got so much power with a luxilon/ gut hybrid on my ncode 90? Was it the gut that made it powerful? Ok, not a ridiculous amount, but good.

VGP
11-14-2005, 07:49 PM
no matter what string, what tension, what racquet it is! as long as you hit the ball against the strings with the sweetspot you will NEVER have arm problems , but if you are one of those players who keeps on hitting the ball with the frame you will have arm problems

I disagree. If a racket is strung too tightly, or is too stiff, even if you have proper technique a racket can give you arm problems.

Jonnyf
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
hey you can also feel pain from a grip thats to small

zorg
11-15-2005, 07:54 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-ALUPR16.html Says Power Oriented...

PrestigeClassic
11-16-2005, 07:06 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-ALUPR16.html Says Power Oriented...

. . . relative to Luxilon's other strings.