PDA

View Full Version : stringing yourself

a guy
11-14-2005, 02:28 AM
what equipment would u need if you was going to re-string a racket yourself? How would you work out the tension etc?

I ask because I don't know of anyone at my club who can string rackets so what am I suppost to do..

didier
11-14-2005, 03:50 AM
use a stringing machine.
it has all the buttons and dails you need

David Pavlich
11-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Go to http://www.racquettech.com/index.html and search through the menu. Somewhere in there, you'll find a section to help you locate USRSA members in your area. It will also point out Certified Stringers and Master Racquet Technicians.

David

a guy
11-14-2005, 06:58 AM
Go to http://www.racquettech.com/index.html and search through the menu. Somewhere in there, you'll find a section to help you locate USRSA members in your area. It will also point out Certified Stringers and Master Racquet Technicians.

David

I don't live in the USA though. We probably don't have much like that in the UK :rolleyes:

The stringign machines cost around the one grand mark don't they? That's waay too much!

maddog2020
11-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Stringing machines start at around $120 and go up from there. I just bought a good drop weight machine (Gamma X-6 FC) for $469 and am very happy with it. I figure that breaking strings on one racquet a week, at $20 labor for stringing, this machine will pay for itself in 6 months or so.

There are lots of decisions to make when buying a stringer. There are plenty of sites out there to provide good insight if you are considering it. To summarize (this is from me, a relative beginner):

Tensioner type:

Drop Weight - inexpensive, mechanically simple (durable, reliable), constant pull (a good thing to keep a consistent string job), a little less convenient to use than other types (takes a bit longer to string).
Crank - more expensive, more complex, faster to use, not constant pull
Electric - most expensive (although there are good priced machines like the eStringer), least effort to use, more complexity, lots of bits that could go wrong (although they seem to be reliable).

Racquet support system:

Essentially measured in number of mounting points, the more the better. Varies from 2 (head and throat) to 6 (head, throat and 4 others). The more you have the more stable the racquet will be, and the less stress you will put on the frame.

Clamp type (and quality):

This boils down to type (floating or fixed) and manufacturing quality. The quality is pretty subjective, lots of research to do here on the boards. Type is simple, either the clamp is loose (floating), or fixed to the base. Fixed is quite a bit easier to use, and seems to be easier to get a more consistent tension in the stringbed. Floating is quite a bit less expensive. I spent about $200 more for my stringer because I really wanted the fixed clamps, although others will swear by floating clamps.

Anyway, good luck. Stringing your own sticks is the best way to have noone but yourself to blame when you play badly.

Ian

CheapStrings
11-14-2005, 08:09 AM
One of your club players has to know someone that does stringing. Regarding your question about the cost of a machine, go over to the Stringing Machine board and do a SEARCH for "cheap" or "low priced" and you'll find plenty of info. A machine good enough just to string your own racquets start around $150 USA dollars.

David Pavlich
11-15-2005, 05:25 AM
I don't live in the USA though. We probably don't have much like that in the UK :rolleyes:

The stringign machines cost around the one grand mark don't they? That's waay too much!

Sorry! I didn't look at your profile. Well, there's always the ERSA (European Racquet Stringer's Association). Give them a try!

David