PDA

View Full Version : Gut Like Sting under $10?

TripleB
11-14-2005, 06:56 AM
I recently had my RDX-500 Midplus strung with some Bow Brand Natural Gut 15L that I had bought in order to hyrid it with some Luxilon polyester. Didn't really like the feel of the poly/gut hybrid so I didn't use the other two sets of natural gut that I had.

I friend of mine (who is a teaching pro and my stringer) bought a brand new stringing machine and was anxious to use it so I gave him a set of natural gut to put in my racquet. I had never played with an all natural gut stringing and thought it might be a nice time to try it.

I played a full set with it yesterday and really loved the power and feel/touch I got with my RDX-500 MP using the natural gut. One area that wasn't improvement over the Luxilon was spin. I couldn't quite get that heavy dipping topspin I'm able to get using the 16L Luxilon.

Anyway, after taking a look at the strings after that one outing I realized that the natural gut strings aren't going to last long for this heavy spin player. Therefore I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

From everything I've read the Yonex Tour Super 850 16L string seems to be leading the pack in my "sythetic natural gut" string search.

Any other strings you would recommend that are even better than the Yonex Tour Super 850 16L?

Am I correct in saying that even though the Yonex Tour 850 Pro Spin 16g is thicker than the Tour Super 860 16L, you still get more spin with the Pro Spin? Am I also correct in saying that the Tour Super 850 16L will play more "gut like" than the Pro Spin?

Thanks for the help.

TripleB

Jerry Seinfeld
11-14-2005, 08:06 AM
The spin potential on both of the Yonex strings is similar. Not much difference. Neither will provide as much spin as the Lux. The Tour Super 850 will play closer to gut, but I would not describe it as "gut-like." It's a very nice string, but it is a different animal than the natural gut. IMO the Tour Super 850 is the better playing of the two.

monologuist
11-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Try :
Yonex Tour Super 850 (non pro version)
Signum Pro Fiber High Tex EXP
Laserfibre Supreme (over 10$ though)

Kevo
11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
You should try Babolat Powergy. It sells for less than $10 on some sites. TW sells it a bit higher. It has a really nice feel to it. I don't think that you'll get the same kind of spin with it that you can get with poly, but I don't think there is any string besides Kevlar that can give you quite the same kind of spin you can get with a poly. I loved the wicked spin I got with Luxilon Ace, but the feel was not that good, and I think you can win more points with consistent placement than you can with massive spin, so I moved away from the Ace. So far, Powergy is my favorite string, but I am still looking...

fastdunn
11-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Try Laserfibre Supreme on mains and Ashaway Dynamite on crosses
at under $9.50 per string job.

modula2
11-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Is it even possible to create a gut like string for so cheap?
To me it seems like you're looking for something that does not exist.

Richie Rich
11-15-2005, 03:58 AM
I played a full set with it yesterday and really loved the power and feel/touch I got with my RDX-500 MP using the natural gut. One area that wasn't improvement over the Luxilon was spin. I couldn't quite get that heavy dipping topspin I'm able to get using the 16L Luxilon.

I noticed the same thing when i used my backup racquet string with babolat fibertour. increased comfort over lux hybrid but the spin potential was much lower. oh well. hard to string a backup racquet with lux when it loses tension just sitting in the bag.

Valjean
11-15-2005, 04:04 AM
When looking for spin in a multifilament, your options are quite limited. You could try the Laserfibre Supreme.

And, Tecnifibre's TrC...