PDA

View Full Version : Very stiff strings on very felixible frames

Bobo Lat
11-14-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm starting to hate springy strings, but am afraid that stiff ones could harm my arm. I know there are many kinds of intermediate strings out there, but I'm curious about the really stiff ones. So, I've been thinking that my arm could still be ok, as long as I use a flexible raquet... My question is: What does a very flexible frame with very stiff strings feel like?

Edit: Btw, I tried Nadal's setup, Tour Duralast strings on AeroPro Drive and liked it quite a bit, but with the very high stiffness rating of the APD, I wouldn't want to use this anymore.

BreakPoint
11-14-2005, 11:33 AM
A basic mono syn gut like Gosen OG Sheep Micro or PSG feels great in flexible frames. Just check out this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75672

avdiscolo
11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I think it greatly depends on the string tension.

I string my FP Tour with kevlar mains and syn gut crosses. I like Gamma Fusion Plus 19 mains at 53lb with Gamma Revelation 17 crosses at 59lb, but I am experimenting with many other combinations. This setup is very comfortable on my arm.

basil J
11-14-2005, 12:10 PM
I have been using Klip adrenalin, Klip harcore and Ashaway crossfire in an 03 tour at 62# with no arm issues. These new racquets have a lot power and a stiffer string helps eliminate some overhitting if you don't use extreme grips or heavy topspin. I really like the Ashaway right now. I have 16' crossfire in the mains and wilson sensation in the crosses and it is pretty comfortable. Lots of spin and excellent control. People on this forum seem to think that anything over 60# with a poly or kevlar string is excessive, but I am used to stringing at higher tensions with synthetic and natural gut, so 60-62# does not seem high. Try any of these and I think you will be happy...

LafayetteHitter
11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
The Liquidmetal Prestige mids I have are very flexy. I have found they play great with Monogut or Lux alu mains with syn gut (e.g. Gosen og micro, Prince syn gut w/dura) crosses. Usually I don't care for polys but with this flexy frame the polys feel awesome.