PDA

View Full Version : Is Toa Leoina 77 16g any good? Is it a synthetic gut or nylon?

Young Pete
11-14-2005, 08:09 PM
please let me know...........

is it just some cheap nylon string like gosen protuff?

or is it a descent synthetic gut like psg ?

diredesire
11-14-2005, 08:29 PM
it's a "tournament nylon" but it's basically a basic grade syn gut, IMO. There is a very fine line that distinguishes one from the other.

It's got a classic feel that some people really like. It depends on how you want to use it, but i think it's a nice basic string. However, i don't string it as there are better alternatives for the price, IMO.

tguru
11-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Pete, 77 is an old string. It has a lot of texture, is a double wrapped center core(like Leoina 66)as I remember, and is low powered(not terribly elastic). All that texture is probably not going to provide much durability if you are a string breaker.

TheRed
11-14-2005, 08:36 PM
It plays better than gosen pro form tuff, mainly b/c it's a bit softer and a little more reponsive. I agree w diredesire that it is a fine line that distinguishes syn gut and "nylon" but if i had to designate Leiona 77, I'd say it's a soft syn gut that loses it's playability a bit faster than most syn guts.

volklguy
11-14-2005, 08:54 PM
i think Leoina 77 is a 16 guage form of Leoina 66, which is 15L.

i received a reel of 66 w/ my stringer, and have been pleasantly suprised w/ how it plays.

theace21
11-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I was decent in the early 80's, but their are many choices better now. I still have one guy that I string for that uses the Leoina 66. I carry it just for him. He has been using the string for over 20 years, and nothing feels like it to him. If I remember correctly it loosens quite a bit once strung.

Young Pete
11-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Whats Better.....synthetic Gut Or Tournament Nylon?

SteveI
11-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Pete, 77 is an old string. It has a lot of texture, is a double wrapped center core(like Leoina 66)as I remember, and is low powered(not terribly elastic). All that texture is probably not going to provide much durability if you are a string breaker.

Tgura,

You are right on in all respects.. but one "low powered..not terribly elastic". The last time I strung this stuff on my stringer (Dropweight), I had to keep pulling the string multiple times to get the correct tension. The stuff is very elastic and is quite powerful. I used this string for 2 seasons.. and have done 15 or so string jobs. It plays close to Gamma Pro Plus 16 IMHO..and I have played both. Deuce.. played this string.. insights?

Regards,
Steve

LoveThisGame
11-15-2005, 04:39 PM
I've strung Leoina 66 since I began stringing in 1984. I've got two customers still who like it. I think one also likes the price ;) . It and Ashaway Liberty are the two best nylons in my book.

That said, I have but a total of three customers for those strings today, and one of those has knees so bad he's at or near the end. (He once had a motorcycle accident which started the damaged knees. Too bad, because he has won a bunch of tournaments over the years, playing with the cheapest racquet and cheapest strings possible:) .)

Radical Shot
11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
To me it was a nothing special kind of string. Strung on my Pro Staff 6.0, it lasted about 2 hours....

Deuce
11-15-2005, 10:13 PM
As has been mentioned already several times in this thread, Leoina 66 is a string that grows on some people, as it is rather unique. I used it for close to 20 years.

Leoina 77 is the thinner version of Leoina 66. Same string, different gauges.

Yes, it has quite the elasticity to it, resulting in a comfortable, non-jarring feeling. Plenty of feel, as well. While today's kids might or might not like it, us older folks quite like it, because it reminds us of the strings we grew up with. Hell - it IS one of the strings we grew up with.

SteveI
11-16-2005, 01:12 AM
As has been mentioned already several times in this thread, Leoina 66 is a string that grows on some people, as it is rather unique. I used it for close to 20 years.

Leoina 77 is the thinner version of Leoina 66. Same string, different gauges.

Yes, it has quite the elasticity to it, resulting in a comfortable, non-jarring feeling. Plenty of feel, as well. While today's kids might or might not like it, us older folks quite like it, because it reminds us of the strings we grew up with. Hell - it IS one of the strings we grew up with.

Deuce,

"Comfortable" is also a key word here, You used the string for 20 years and you are still playing. How many players that use polys will be able to make that claim in 20 years? Have a great day!

Steve

theace21
11-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Deuce,

"Comfortable" is also a key word here, You used the string for 20 years and you are still playing. How many players that use polys will be able to make that claim in 20 years? Have a great day!

Steve
None. 20 years with a poly and your arm will be shot.

gokou703
11-17-2005, 02:17 AM
i played with this string for many years ever since i was a young kid until i was a freshmen in college. has great feel, i still miss the textured feel, expecially on my backhand slice. i would definately recommend it for $$ purposes. the only draw back is the durability. (reason why i switched) i hit quite flat, lasted me about 4 days of tennis practices(3 hours long)

oh yeah!! i forgot my grandfather 79 years old 4.0-4.5 player back in the dzay! =) still plays with this string!! no arm problems at all.. he's been using this for string for DAYSSSS...probably since before i was born haha...

Aeropro joe
11-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I was decent in the early 80's, but their are many choices better now. I still have one guy that I string for that uses the Leoina 66. I carry it just for him. He has been using the string for over 20 years, and nothing feels like it to him. If I remember correctly it loosens quite a bit once strung.
yea i just strung up a pog os with it and it did loosen up a lot

tguru
11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
SteveI, have to disagree with you. For a center core it may be somewhat "soft" at impact but I don't automatically equate soft with elastic. The two can be mutually exclusive. I have played with NRG2 17 for many years and before then found 77 low powered. I suppose if you come from Prince Nylon, Prince Endurance, Pro-Blend, etc. or are particularly powerful or play with a stiff, powerful racquet you might view 77 as an elastic string.

Deuce
11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
SteveI, have to disagree with you. For a center core it may be somewhat "soft" at impact but I don't automatically equate soft with elastic. The two can be mutually exclusive. I have played with NRG2 17 for many years and before then found 77 low powered. I suppose if you come from Prince Nylon, Prince Endurance, Pro-Blend, etc. or are particularly powerful or play with a stiff, powerful racquet you might view 77 as an elastic string.
I don't play a power game, and I've always played with very flexible, low powered racquets... and I've always found both 66 and 77 to be soft, comfortable, and to have much elasticity.

SteveI
11-18-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't play a power game, and I've always played with very flexible, low powered racquets... and I've always found both 66 and 77 to be soft, comfortable, and to have much elasticity.

I have to say Ditto to what deuce just posted. I have also always played with flexible low powered rackets.. have found the same when using 66 and 77. I know for a fact if you string the 77 too low the ball will fly off the strings. I found using the 77 at higher tensions provided great control.. nice pop, comfort and playability. In addition as stated before.. since I have stung this stuff many times..I know it to have much elasticity. When using a dropweight, you can really see that quite clearly. You have to keep doing extra pulls to get the correct tension. The only strings that I have seen with more elasticity were Gamma ProPlus 17 or FlexCore 17.

Regards,
Steve