PDA

View Full Version : Why do tennis balls come pressurized?

Zoroaster
05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Is it just to protect them during shipping? or what is the point? there is more pressure on the balls while in an unopened can than in atmospheric pressure - what gives?

Brad

Deuce
05-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Buy some balls in a dollar store that come wrapped in plastic to find out why balls are pressurized.

PHSTennis
05-28-2004, 12:22 AM
They are under pressure so the balls stay hard... yeah the ones in a dollar store that are not in a bad are dead... there must be a reason to do through all that work right? Or else wouldnt hard cardboard or something like that be easier than having to pressurize it? Do the experiment... what Duece said -_-

Cypo
05-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Gases move from high pressure to low pressure. By having the can pressurized, the pressure is the same inside and outside the ball, so the gas in the ball stays there. Once you have the ball out side the can, the gas slowly leaks through the walls of the ball and the ball goes flat.

The Tretons (sp?) balls don't need to be pressurized because they are solid inside.

Zoroaster
05-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Could you build anything to keep them pressurized then? I wonder if you could just put them in a freezer in an open container then close the container and let it warm up? I suppose that wouldn't be high enough pressure, but it might slow down the degradation.

Brad

ProStaffTour90
05-28-2004, 11:11 AM
you can buy things which go on top of the can and you pump air into the can to increase the pressure, it isn't the same as the ball and so they still go flat just nowhere near as quickly!

ismashall
05-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Is it just to protect them during shipping? or what is the point? there is more pressure on the balls while in an unopened can than in atmospheric pressure - what gives?

Brad

Have you ever taken a basic science class? ... say in middle school?

PHSTennis
05-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Yep I learned this from my 7th grade physics teacher :P

perfmode
05-29-2004, 08:46 AM

Brad

Have you ever taken a basic science class? ... say in middle school?

lol seriously

Cypo
05-30-2004, 02:18 AM
Actuallly, it's the second law of thermodynamics, which I don't believe is covered until Jr. year. At least I think it was Jr. year when I failed that.