PDA

View Full Version : BDE Performance 16 vs. KLiP Legend 16

armand
11-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Couldn't find a thread dedicated to the comparison between these 2 strings so I've created one. Please, thrill me with your acumen. Thank you.

Rabbit
11-15-2005, 08:21 AM
The Klip is a bit livlier string IMO. BDE has a more solid feel, muted. Both strings are excellent values for the money and in my experience, have comparable durability. I don't think you could go wrong with either or if pressed, tell them apart in a blind test. (That would be interesting.)

theace21
11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I agree with Rabbit. Both are excellent choices. I use BDE usually, but at times TW was out and I used the Klip. Playability, I could not really tell any difference....

Steve Huff
11-15-2005, 07:00 PM
The BDE is a little easier to string in my opinion. The Klip has a stiff feel, while the BDE is soft. I'd rather try to force the Klip through a tight hole though. Both play well. I've just recently (in the last few months) tried Klip Legend. BDE is sometimes hard to get in 16g. When I order natural gut, I usually order a few sets of both since I have a hard time deciding if one has an advantage over the other.

bcaz
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I agree with Steve. The Legend is a tad more crisp while the Perf plays a little softer. Both are excellent strings, offering the same 16g/17g tradeoffs.

Rabbit
11-16-2005, 06:20 AM
I will only add that the durability of the 17 gauge in both exceeds any gauge in multis with respect to playability and tension maintenance.

armand
11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm trying natural gut for the first time and strung my RDX500 Mid with the KLiP 16 Legend @ 62\60.5. But I found a little too much power and not enough control after the initial (small) tension loss.
I'll be stringing next using BDE 16 and I was hoping to use the exact same tension so I can properly judge which string I'd like more. So should I use the same tension? Or can I go up a few(2) lbs and still be able to judge accurately of which string I'd like more?

Steve Huff
11-18-2005, 11:28 AM
To judge fairly, you need to keep the variables the same. So, if you're really trying to find out which gut you'd like in the long term, keep them the same. If you're just trying gut to find out what it's like, but intend to go back to something else later, I'd go up a few pounds, just as I would go up a few pounds if I strung with Klip again.

armand
03-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I think I like KLiP much better than BDE. KLiP is livelier, seems like it never frays and has the best rating for tension maintenance(even better than VS).
My BDE is already beginning to fray after 2 hours and I can barely tell the difference in performance between it and NXT.

Waimea_Boy
03-26-2006, 09:37 PM
You should also look at the Tonic+ which is less expensive than either BDE or Klip.

bumblebee
03-09-2008, 11:01 AM
so is klip legend better than BDE performance?
ive heard so many mixed reviews about KLIP, that im a bit nervous about trying it out later

Valjean
03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
....KLiP is livelier, seems like it never frays and has the best rating for tension maintenance(even better than VS). .....
I'm wondering what you are relying on; in a playtest the USRSA conducted several years back of six natural guts, Babolat VS and BDE Performance had better tension maintenance scores, and that's the only comparison like it.

Valjean
03-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I will only add that the durability of the 17 gauge in both exceeds any gauge in multis with respect to playability and tension maintenance.
I would add that you have to be specific about which multi you mean just as you have to be with a natural gut you are discussing--there are currently at least four multi "tiers" to deal with. Some of the assumptions going around in this forum about "multis" are pretty dated now, going back at least some 15 years.

nickb
03-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I would add that you have to be specific about which multi you mean just as you have to be with a natural gut you are discussing--there are currently at least four multi "tiers" to deal with. Some of the assumptions going around in this forum about "multis" are pretty dated now, going back at least some 15 years.

Even the latest top priced "new technology" multis do not hold tension/playability any where near as well as natural gut..IMO they are still terrible at that.

Nick

Valjean
03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
My tests says otherwise; you can't get away with that. Why you keep commenting like this when you can only use PSGD and apparently only have the game for it too is a puzzle to me.

Rabbit
03-10-2008, 05:08 AM

Well, to be fair, someone resurrected this thread from two years ago! I will concede the mutlis are making gains, however, they are becoming as expensive as gut.

I'll try to be more clear. When your strings become important to performance on court, natural gut performs more consistently over time and has much less of a drop off in performance than any multi I've tried. Right out of the gate, it is true that multis perform and feel as good as some guts I've played with. Even older multis like Tecnifibre's TR Pro SPL were great at that. But, after a few hours, natural gut is still a better performer than any multi.

And, with the prices multis run now, I think natural gut is an even better value.

nickb
03-10-2008, 05:11 AM
My tests says otherwise; you can't get away with that. Why you keep commenting like this when you can only use PSGD and apparently only have the game for it too is a puzzle to me.

You dont know anything about my game...

Who says I can only use PSGD?

Those are some really strange comments...what are you trying to say..that decent plays dont use cheap strings?

You can use your beloved KGut Pro and Xcel Power all you want...im guessing you will still be that same old 2.5 player...

nickb
03-10-2008, 05:13 AM
BTW what tests?

lol please share with us...

Pro_Tour_630
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Even older multis like Tecnifibre's TR Pro SPL were great at that. But, after a few hours, natural gut is still a better performer than any multi.

And, with the prices multis run now, I think natural gut is an even better value.
I do not have this problem (my main strings are under 1.20mm) since I break strings so often and I restring so often, i always prefer a fresh setup every time I go out to play especially. So playability in regards to consistency in tension over a long period of time is a NON ISSUE for me. Just like some people prefer a fresh synthetic gut or a fresh ALU for the first few hours. I prefer fresh NRG18g which is only $10, I can string three fresh NRG18g for the price of one BOW 18g. Had I play 17g and above, I would not be saying this. Again that is just me and I may be the only exception to the general rule that NG is better than Multi.

Rabbit
03-10-2008, 11:01 AM
^Man, you may be the first guy I've ever seen who might find golf cheaper than tennis!
:)

Valjean
03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, to be fair, someone resurrected this thread from two years ago! I will concede the mutlis are making gains, however, they are becoming as expensive as gut.

I'll try to be more clear. When your strings become important to performance on court, natural gut performs more consistently over time and has much less of a drop off in performance than any multi I've tried. Right out of the gate, it is true that multis perform and feel as good as some guts I've played with. Even older multis like Tecnifibre's TR Pro SPL were great at that. But, after a few hours, natural gut is still a better performer than any multi.

Well, to complicate you some more, then you can think that even Titan, Grand Slam and BDE Rallye, say--not to mention other inferior gut--qualify? How about Gamma's natural gut? That, too? And these all are clearly better than, say, again, even just Wilson's more advanced and graduated NXT strings, NXT OS, NXT Max, and NXT Tour? Truly? And, how would they be, again!??? I'd think you want to *play* these, at least, before making such sweeping statements.

Valjean
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
You dont know anything about my game...

Who says I can only use PSGD?

Those are some really strange comments...what are you trying to say..that decent plays dont use cheap strings?....
PSGD was plainly your considered preference, and was even openly said to be, as part of your *signature*, until just now! People who use PSGD and the Fischer racquet you do (did that just change, now, too?) advertise the game they play, and what they value string for. That's a flexible racquet meant for people who provide their own power, and the string says the same. And so it's pretty unlikely you could be found choosing to play very often with *any* string that adds power and promotes comfort. That even rules out the best natural guts, too. If you want, we could remind you how you prepared a series of comments on polyester, though, too; if that doesn't say pretty clearly which stringbed you want, I don't know what could. I'm just as sure you try everything out--once, anyway!

What's pretty striking to me and anyone looking in at you is how you choose to rap both the best gut and the better multis so often and in such a polemical way, where all you can deal with is "guts" and "multis"--as though both, to begin with, don't come in a significant variety of flavors catering to a like variety of tastes in play.

stormholloway
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I do not have this problem (my main strings are under 1.20mm) since I break strings so often and I restring so often, i always prefer a fresh setup every time I go out to play especially. So playability in regards to consistency in tension over a long period of time is a NON ISSUE for me. Just like some people prefer a fresh synthetic gut or a fresh ALU for the first few hours. I prefer fresh NRG18g which is only $10, I can string three fresh NRG18g for the price of one BOW 18g. Had I play 17g and above, I would not be saying this. Again that is just me and I may be the only exception to the general rule that NG is better than Multi.

So the guy who complains the people are buying too much expensive natural gut spends more on strings than gut users?

Oh the irony...

nickb
03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
PSGD was plainly your considered preference, and was even openly said to be, as part of your *signature*, until just now! People who use PSGD and the Fischer racquet you do (did that just change, now, too?) advertise the game they play, and what they value string for. That's a flexible racquet meant for people who provide their own power, and the string says the same. And so it's pretty unlikely you could be found choosing to play very often with *any* string that adds power and promotes comfort. That even rules out the best natural guts, too. If you want, we could remind you how you prepared a series of comments on polyester, though, too; if that doesn't say pretty clearly which you want, I don't know what could.

What's pretty striking to me and anyone looking in is that you choose to rap both the best gut and the better multis so often and in such a polemical way, where all you can deal with is "guts" and "multis"--as though both, to begin with, don't come in a significant variety of flavors catering to a similar variety of tastes in play.

I have changed my signature because I dont use PSGD all the time so there is no point having it there...

I do use multi strings actually...I have got some sets of NXT Tour that I will be using up over the next week and also some head RIP Control, Head Fibergel and Pro Supex Maxim touch. I like some of the multi's but I dont think they are worth the money compared to natural gut.

If Tecnifibre X-One Biphase was half the price I would use it more often...so dont think I hate natrual guts and multis.

I do make comments on polys here because ive hit with them all many times but right now I dont use polys and dont see myself using them in the future. I value my health and when coaching full time/playing I want to be sure I can carry on well into my 60's and hopefuly beyond.

Nick

Rabbit
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, to complicate you some more, then you can think that even Titan, Grand Slam and BDE Rallye, say--not to mention other inferior gut--qualify? How about Gamma's natural gut? That, too? And these all are clearly better than, say, again, even just Wilson's more advanced and graduated NXT strings, NXT OS, NXT Max, and NXT Tour? Truly? And, how would they be, again!??? I'd think you want to *play* these, at least, before making such sweeping statements.

I really don't have a problem saying that Titan, Grand Slam, or BDE Rallye keep their playing characteristics longer than a multi. And $ for $, they are a better bargain.

Pro_Tour_630
03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
^Man, you may be the first guy I've ever seen who might find golf cheaper than tennis!
:)
it is all relative, even if golf was for free I would never play the game.

bumblebee
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
so since y'all can't answer my first question, i have a second question,
would 62~64 lbs be too tight for Legend?

fastdunn
03-11-2008, 05:14 PM
To me, natural gut(value) hybrid with poly or nylon easily beat best multi's in terms of playability for the given money and playing time. In fact, I feel like it's twice as good on dense string pattern of my FXP Prestiges.

Disclaimer: String preferences are highly subjective. When I post things about strings, they are descriptions on my experiences. Please do NOT take it as "you should feel the same", or "Something is wrong with you if you don't feel the same", or "I'll kill you if you don't feel the same way I do with this string",.... ha ha ha...

stormholloway
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Not at all.

bumblebee
03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
o sweet thx!!!

scotus
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Is it too tight that it might snap on the stringing machine?
--I don't think so although I have only strung it up as high as 58 lbs. Legend is a quality gut.

Is it too tight that it might feel stiff and boardy?
--Possibly. It feels stiff and boardy even at a much lower tension if you prestretch it beyond a certain point (I recommend that you not prestretch it at all unless you know exactly what you are doing). But if you don't prestretch it, it may feel fine.

scotus
03-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Hope a mod reads this thread and blows it up. Once again a perfectly friendly discussion goes haywire because of ONE person. Nothing changes.:(

OP..not that you may ever read this, but I am planning on puirchasing BDE Perf very soon . I hope I will be able to tell between Klip Legend and the BDE...I may like a softer stringbed more..guess I will wait for my next string job.

In my experience, I felt more ball pocketing with BDE Performance. It also felt softer. Having said this, it gets much more hairy (you will need to clip the excess hair frequently) and is nowhere as durable as Legend. Let me know what you think.

Azzurri
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
In my experience, I felt more ball pocketing with BDE Performance. It also felt softer. Having said this, it gets much more hairy (you will need to clip the excess hair frequently) and is nowhere as durable as Legend. Let me know what you think.

ooooh, it gets really hairy? does that give it a more spin feel?
I am going to order towards the end of the month. I just put in the Klip and it should last a while, so I will play them until...I don't know, pigs fly?

scotus
03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I chose the word "hairy" because if I had said it "frays" a lot, then you might be misled into thinking that it would break right away.

I guess the difference is that the coating on Legend is much thicker than the one on BDE (Come to think of it, I don't even know if BDE has any coating on it).

So you will see much more gut fibers peel off from BDE. I do not think it contribures to spin generation.

Azzurri
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM
I chose the word "hairy" because if I had said it "frays" a lot, then you might be misled into thinking that it would break right away.

I guess the difference is that the coating on Legend is much thicker than the one on BDE (Come to think of it, I don't even know if BDE has any coating on it).

So you will see much more gut fibers peel off from BDE. I do not think it contribures to spin generation.

maybe it is the reason for a softer string bed?

scotus
03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
maybe it is the reason for a softer string bed?

Probably....