PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the feel of TNT strings?

Kevo
11-15-2005, 09:48 AM
I have been studying strings of various types looking for the best combination of feel, control, power, and durability in that order. I have tried something from every category. The only thing I haven't tried that might be different is the TNT line from Gamma.

What I am looking for is a pronounced pocketing feel. From my experience that feeling is more pronounced with highly elastic strings. I've gotten that feeling to a minimal extent with multis, some more than others. However I've noticed that many multis have a limit to their stretching ability. It seems that if you tension them to high the feel goes away, too low and the power is way too high. The best feel so far has been Babolat Powergy which when strung around 60lbs is stretchy enough to give good feel for the ball, and low enough powerwise to allow hitting out with good control. Funny thing is that Powergy is a double wrapped mono, more like a synthetic gut than a multi.

That led me to look for other similar constructions which Gamma has a couple. According to Gamma literature the TNT process increases dynamic resiliency and elasticity. What I'm hoping that means is you can string it high enough for some control, but you still get good feel due to higher elasticity. So now that I've run on for a while, can anyone who uses or has tried something like TNT, Prodigy, Gamma Gut 2, or TNT Pro Plus comment on the level of feel for the ball that the strings had. Also, if you could note the tension you strung it at and what gauge you were using, and any other positive/negative things that stood out.

Thanks a bunch.

Jerry Seinfeld
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
There's not much luv for Gamma on these boards. The TNT is an average solid core string. I suspect you will not find the pronounced pocketing you are seeking. The best string for pocketing is natural gut. If feel is that important to you, go ahead and make the investment. Don't waste your $$ on the Gamma strings.

Kevo
11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
I was hoping to find someone who actually uses TNT and can give some specific insights into how it plays. I am going to try some since I think solid core strings is where I need to go for feel, comfort, and control, but there is a big selection, and I want to get some feedback from someone who uses the string. It is always voted highly in the USRSA survey, so I know some people must be using it for some reason. I would just like to know what the reasons are and how people are using it.

Flatspin
11-15-2005, 03:29 PM
I thought the Gamma's Prodigy played nice @ 60lbs in a ncode 90. Firmer than alot of synthetics ..... nice pop and so far holding up good. felt, however, Prodigy is slightly over priced.

Kevo
11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Flatspin, can you describe what you mean by firmer? How was the feel for the ball? Could you tell precisely where the ball contacted the string bed, and did it seem to dwell on the strings a little longer than normal?

SteveI
11-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Flatspin, can you describe what you mean by firmer? How was the feel for the ball? Could you tell precisely where the ball contacted the string bed, and did it seem to dwell on the strings a little longer than normal?

Hi,

The only string that I have really enjoyed from Gamma is the TNT ProPlus 16.. the 17L was great also.. but look at the cost. You might as well play gut. The TNT ProPlus 17L just broke so fast.. it just was not worth it. TNT2 16 is very overpriced. Played crisp right after it was installed, then lost tension and played soft.. but with little power or feel IMHO. The best I can say is that it broke quick. There are many better strings on the market than the TNT2 for the price. Happy hunting.

Regards,
Steve

bookem
11-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Kevo...

I've been using TNT2 PP17s for approx 3 years, particularly because of its feel. There are some other posters on these boards who like the feel but are discouraged by the cost and durability, both characteristics of which there are a load of mostly negative comments which are somewhat deserved.

If you are prepared for the relatively short lifespan (I break monthly) and are OK with the cost (I get them much cheaper than even the supposed Gamma preferred pricing), you're rewarded with a string which indeed gives a nice feel, "pockets" the ball, and is sufficiently lower in power that the ball does not get away from you.

I use the 17s on my RD-7 :p at 60/57 and can generate my own power and still get some awfully sweet "plowthrough" with the ball. The pocketing feel of the RD-7 is also enhanced with the PP17. Furthermore, nearly all of my hitting partners (I'm a 4.5 allcourter) acknowledge the heavy balls generated by this combo. The TNT2 has better feel at 17 rather than the 16, IMO.

FWIW, I experimented with NRG2, Lasers, PSG w/ and w/o Dura, Babs, TiMO, BB, Wilsons, and others ad infinitum in both 16 and 17 and always came back to TNT 17s. When the TNT2s came out I thought they were a vast improvement over the TNTs. Nearly all my 7s are strung similarly; I have one with Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro at 60/60 which I use when I feel frisky.

Some posters have commented that, for the cost, gut is a preferable alternative; I don't have that as a viable possibility due to the high humidity in the tropics.

What you haven't mentioned are your current playing stick and your type of game. These are crucial to maximize your expectations of the string.

Hope this helps and apologies for the long post....

Flatspin
11-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Kevo ... I thought that Gamma's Prodigy was not mushy ( like some ) but seemed to pocket the ball nice with a crisp feel and nice pop. Strings seemed to stay put ...for the most part. I think, however, Prodigy is slightly over-priced ...... but most Gamma strings are over-priced! Durability ... don't know ...... too early to tell. Not a bad string!

bluegrasser
11-16-2005, 02:32 AM
In my neck of the woods Gamma is considered a good string and very popular, as far as TNT ? a soft string, but not too soft w/ good feel.

diredesire
11-16-2005, 09:09 AM
i personally feel that 85+% of gamma products are severely overpriced. I didn't like the TNT series, except for the abovementioned PP strings.

An alternative suggestion... If you string yourself, try this out:

String your frame at about 35 lbs and report back on your "Pocketing" findings. You may be surprised :)

Kevo
11-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I use the 17s on my RD-7 :p at 60/57 and can generate my own power and still get some awfully sweet "plowthrough" with the ball. The pocketing feel of the RD-7 is also enhanced with the PP17. Furthermore, nearly all of my hitting partners (I'm a 4.5 allcourter) acknowledge the heavy balls generated by this combo.

This is encouraging. I ordered several sets of strings to try out. I ordered a Gamma Gut 2 since it was cheap and similar construction as the TNT Pro Plus which I also ordered. I got a plain TNT2 and a Prodigy as well. I also ordered 1 set of each of the Gosen AKs that TW sells since I read some people like them as a cheaper sub for TNT. So I will be reporting back on my results in a couple of weeks.

I play with an RDX 500 mid, so it's probably similar to the RD-7. Maybe not quite a flexy and a tad lighter. Mine are over 12oz. with the leather grip and overgrip.

Valjean
11-16-2005, 11:57 AM
For me, the effect the Gamma's TNT processing has is equivalent to pre-stretching a string. Their TNT series has never effectively escaped the complaint that, from the first, the string plays tight, then rather quickly loses the limited resiliency it has--leaving a stringbed that, to me, is like hitting with a piece of tightly-woven wire fence. Subsequent versions, from Live Wire to TNT2 to Prodigy, were in fact dedicated to overcoming that very trait.

If you want to try the best of the line, you needed to get its Fat Core and Flex Core iterations (when you can find one in). As to how Gamma does on the USRSA annual survey--many shops use the TNT line when stringing for casual, recreational customers who have no choice of their own. The line is well-promoted, with lots of extra string thrown in, which is how it got its name (and why the string is priced so high to you and me). After playing with it, ask yourself if you can think of why no professional player worth his or her salt will use the stuff; you should know why, by then, too...

Kevo
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
After playing with it, ask yourself if you can think of why no professional player worth his or her salt will use the stuff; you should know why, by then, too...

Well if we went only by what pros use, we'd all be using poly or gut. And, I can understand why they use them. I play great with kevlar and poly. They are low powered and aid in producing spin. So you can hit the snot out of the ball and have it land inside the lines all day long. Throw some gut in there to soften it up, and take away 10-12 years of age, and I'd be golden. However, I am over 30 now, and I still hit the ball hard enough to injure myself in a serious way if I always use a stiff string, so that won't work for me.

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite string?

bookem
11-16-2005, 03:54 PM
As I said, much depends on your expectations of the string and, obviously, your game.

Gamma has been maligned quite a bit on these boards. My opinion, FWIW, is choose what works for you. No one string is a panacea for everyone, despite persuasions to the contrary (remember how everyone practically waxed ecstasy over TiMO?)... All I can say is: TNT2 works for me, I tried a lot of other strings (and bordered on being a string w-h-o-r-e in the process), and have a wallful of 4.5 NTRP trophies as backup.

Bottom line: use what works for you.

spirit
11-16-2005, 04:49 PM
I use the TNT2, and before that the TNT, and now have my racquet strung with the TNT fat core. They all play with a crisp feel and are durable enough for my game. Of course, I prefer the VS Team natural gut (3 times the cost of TNT), and even the Klip natural gut, multi hybrids (two times the cost of TNT), but I can play with the TNTs OK. Currently I have TNT fat core in one of my racquets and the Klip Lightning - a natural gut/multi hybrid in another.

bcaz
11-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Flatspin, have you abandoned your beloved i.Prestige mid for the nCode 90? Say it ain't so! or are you demoing?

tlm
12-06-2005, 02:29 PM
tnt pplus2 is the best synthetic i have found so far.And i have tried a lot of strings.The best thing i found was good feel, excellent control,with power + durabillity.I did like the 17g the best. If you want to feel one of the best string jobs out there go with pacific tough gut 17g in the mains+pplus2 17g in the crosses.With the crosses at least 4lbs tighter than the mains.I really dont like synthetic strings, i am a gut user but if i were to use one it would be pplus2.I have been through all the synthetic crap,in a tight string pattern the gut+syn. combo i showed will last most people 2-3 months to me cheaper in the long run, when i was using syn. string some were ok but only for 3-4 matches.I wasted a lot of money wading through the syn. string junk, trust me go at least half gut + you will find out what string is really supposed to feel like.

fishuuuuu
12-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm not quite sure what it is. But I've been peddling out sets of TNT Fatcore to racquets I string to the local kids whom I string for. I finally decided to try a set ... my thoughts are that it is pure crap. Harsh, stiff, and generally boardy feeling ... at 51#. Not only that but it broke very quickly for me ... and also broke quickly in the sets I strung for others ... good for business ... bad for playing with.

You cannot be serious!

Kevo
12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
You should try stringing it up at like 62lbs. I recently discovered that Ashaway Dynamite is softer feeling at 62lbs. than it is at 53lbs. I have wondered if other strings also behave that way. The TNT strings are supposed to have good dynamic elasticity due to the TNT processing, so they may have similar traits to dynamite in that regard.

TheRed
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I was once sponsored by Gamma so I got to try every string they had, including Live Wire Pro. What did I end up using in my Iprestige mids? TNT Pro Plus 17L. As a synthetic string, it is bar none the best out there. It is elbow friendly, crisp, pockets the ball well, provides excellent control and tension maintenance. It's a synthetic string that doesn't try to be gut. By the way, I could've gotten Gamma's nat gut for free as well.

I also used regular TNT. I agree with the majority of posters here. The string is way overpriced. It's a soft string, but dies quickly and is only medium powered. ProPlus for some reason feels softer and crisper. For regular TNT, I'd play with it if they cost $5 a set.

Now, if you prefer the feeling of gut, there are probably more cost effective strings or combinations out there. I've tried X1 Biphase and a host of other multis because of my elbow problems. I've tried Titan and VS gut. Nothing is like gut, with the exception of NXT for the first 30 minutes. However, I don't like gut. I grew up on tournament nylon and prince synthetic gut. Nat gut just feels too soft and too powerful for me. Many times I feel there's such a preference for gut on this board because many posters either grew up using gut or played during a time when gut was a far superior string. I never had the luxury of using gut so I never really got used to that feeling.

So what I'm saying is, do you prefer the feeling of synthetic strings or gut? Gut is gut but if you want the best synthetic strings out there, TNT Pro Plus is the best.

Flatspin
12-06-2005, 05:36 PM
BCAZ ......no I haven't left the i Prestige mid. It's my go too stick. And yes ..... I've hit a bit with the ncode 90 tour. I always search ....... by the way ... the ncode 90 is a great frame. The stick I played with for a number of years was the PS 6.0 85 ...... the ncode felt like an old friend! Loved it!

stephan edberg
01-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I have been using TNT2 17 @ 62lbs.in my Liquidmetal Radical MP racquet for a year now and have no complaints. I get the control & touch I am looking for and the durabilty is perfectly fine. I hardly ever break strings, so the later thought may not have a lot of weight behind it. I have not had a lot of success figuring out one string from another- I seem to play about the same with any 17 gauge string.

tlm
04-14-2006, 09:26 PM
To me the 16g. isnt that good but the 17g. is sweet.

Kevo
04-15-2006, 03:48 PM
It's hard to find a 17g that isn't a poly that will last more than 8 - 10 hours. I like the thinner strings, they are great for feel and control, just don't last long. So far the only non-poly 17gs I've played longer than 10 hours are FXP and Klipper Zyex. FXP just barely, and the Zyex almost 20 hours IIRC.

tlm
04-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I use 17g. toughgut in the mains+ 17g. tnt2 proplus in the crosses+they hold up fine as a cross string.

Lindros13
03-18-2008, 03:47 AM
TNT2 has been my favorite non-gut string for a while now. However, it only lasts me between 6 and 9 hours of playing time before it snaps. And then I have the hassle of restringing. I find it to have excellent pocketing where the strings really grip the ball. It feels good on the arm, it's not mushy or dead like many multis, it has a real nice sound off the stringbed, and I think the power level is higher than most other synthetics but without loss of control. All in all, I like TNT2 (16g) a heck of a lot - and I string it at the center of my racquet's recommended tension range = 55 lbs (which may sound low, but it still plays crisp). But 6-9 hours before it breaks is too much of a hassle for me.

I tried out a few other hybrids with TNT2, but I'll post those details in a separate thread.

Oh yeah, I saw mention of Gosen OG Micro as a comparative string to TNT2. I'd say no way, or at least not at all when I tried it. I felt the Gosen to be a boring string, with no pocketing or grip to it whatsoever. Maybe I just had a bad experience with it, but I specifically cut out the string and re-strung it. Others around here like it though, but I think it's the price that attracts most.

uabucks
03-18-2008, 06:06 AM
I have also tried a lot of strings, and also go back to
the tnt strings as old reliable. They are crisp, resilient,
and pocket the ball well--not springy like many strings.
I hate springy strings.
I don't break strings often, so they last 2-3 months for me.
I like the entire range of tnt2 and proplus strings.
I have not tried prodigy.

TNT16
03-19-2008, 06:19 AM
TNT2 has been my favorite non-gut string for a while now. However, it only lasts me between 6 and 9 hours of playing time before it snaps. And then I have the hassle of restringing. I find it to have excellent pocketing where the strings really grip the ball. It feels good on the arm, it's not mushy or dead like many multis, it has a real nice sound off the stringbed, and I think the power level is higher than most other synthetics but without loss of control. All in all, I like TNT2 (16g) a heck of a lot - and I string it at the center of my racquet's recommended tension range = 55 lbs (which may sound low, but it still plays crisp). But 6-9 hours before it breaks is too much of a hassle for me.

To avoid early breakage especially on the 17 try some well placed stringsavers - solves the problem.

I like the Gamma ones in the plastic applicator (similar to Babolat ones but in white).

soyizgood
03-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi,

The only string that I have really enjoyed from Gamma is the TNT ProPlus 16.. the 17L was great also.. but look at the cost. You might as well play gut. The TNT ProPlus 17L just broke so fast.. it just was not worth it. TNT2 16 is very overpriced. Played crisp right after it was installed, then lost tension and played soft.. but with little power or feel IMHO. The best I can say is that it broke quick. There are many better strings on the market than the TNT2 for the price. Happy hunting.

Regards,
Steve

I had TNT2 17 gauge installed in February on my #2 racquet. The string broke a month later!! This isn't even my main racquet and the string on the 8th main broke hitting a high ball with medium topspin. And I'm not even a string breaker type player. I replaced it with Gamma Crush 16 and so far that seems to play okay.