PDA

View Full Version : Signum Pro Poly-Plasma: Any experiences from fellow players?

samster
11-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I see that the 17 g and the 17L g of this new string are all sold out. What is everybody's experience here with this string? There was quite some hype about this string several months back. Thanks. How's the playability, tension maintenance, spin, power, durability?

mellofelow
11-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Love the string. Very durable and holds tension well. However, I use it only in mains with syn gut in hybrid setup to give it a little more feel.

IMO, it's a good control string for powerful racquets.

BreakPoint
11-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Has anyone tried both the Signum Pro Poly Plasma and the Prince Polygut and can compare the two for playability, bite, comfort, softness, power, tension maintenance, elbow safety, and durability? Thanks.

Midlife crisis
11-16-2005, 12:47 AM
My order from TW with the Poly Plasma 1.28 should arrive later today, but I'm also playing today so I don't know if I'll have time to restring before heading out. Definitely, I'll restring before I play again this coming weekend.

I've read a lot of the threads and the concensus seems to be to string the Poly Plasma at about the same tension as a regular synthetic gut, so that's what I'm going to do. In this racket, I've used 16 gauge PSGD prestretched at 63 and before it loses tension it plays well. On the same racket, I've used Problend with the kevlar at 56 and that plays a bit stiffer even though the string is almost used up. I'm going to try the Poly Plasma at 63 mains, 61 crosses, with just a light prestretch.

Jetson
11-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Love the string. Very durable and holds tension well. However, I use it only in mains with syn gut in hybrid setup to give it a little more feel.

IMO, it's a good control string for powerful racquets.

Do U have some tip for syn gut for this hybrid?

Jerry Seinfeld
11-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Midlife Crisis - - Prestretching the Poly Plasma is not recommended. Just a head's up. Treat this string gently while installing and you will have no problems.

muellerhp
11-16-2005, 04:45 AM
@JayK

The Pro's Pro and the Signum Poly Plasma are not the same, they just look similar. The Signum is an excellent Polyester string which has excellent playing characteristics and holds the tension well. The Pro's Pro is a cheap standard Poly, well behind the Signum in terms of playability and durability.

I play the Signum Poly Plasma 1.23 for quite some time now, didn't find a better Mono gut yet.

TripleB
11-16-2005, 08:51 AM
I have used the 16g once and found that I had very little control with this string....was it just me and possibly the tension I had it strung at or have others experienced the same thing with the Sigma Pro Poly Plasma?

TripleB

Midlife crisis
11-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Midlife Crisis - - Prestretching the Poly Plasma is not recommended. Just a head's up. Treat this string gently while installing and you will have no problems.

Jerry,

I believe I read that there was a little bit of coil memory and I thought that giving it a light prestretch would reduce this. Not so?

Considering that I'm using PSGD 16 with a prestretch at about 64 lbs, and use Problend 16 at 56 lbs, is using the Poly Plasma 1.28mm at about 62 or 63 lbs appropriate?

Thanks.

Jerry Seinfeld
11-16-2005, 11:10 AM
In regard to prestretching...
The manufacturer does not recommend prestretching this string. It is an advisory to help reduce premature breakage which can be an issue with the softer poly composites. The coil memory is workable. You of course can prestretch lightly if you choose and most likely will be fine in so doing, but just be aware it is not recommended with this string. Think of extra careful handling...like gut and you'll be fine.

At the upper tensions I recommend a 5% tension drop with the Poly Plasma. So in your case approx. 61#. At mid or lower range no drop is necessary. To drop or not will vary according to player preference. May require some trial and error.

monologuist
11-16-2005, 03:58 PM
The Plasma is a nice string that fits a much needed niche : a relatively comfortable , softer feeling poly that is reasonably priced and holds tension very well. The areas where it sacrifices a little are ball feel and pop, that is compared to Lux ALU as a reference poly. I will say however that I've noticed that it feels much better after a few sets. It tends to feel a little "boardy" at first, but after it breaks in, the feel gets noticeably better. I've never tried it straight up, but like it with gut grosses. The 18 g. has the most feel IMO, but I think it actually has a little less pop than the 17 g., so I'd say I like the 17 g. the best overall. The tension does really hold very well for a poly (for any synthetic string for that matter). I do wish it came in other colors though, as it looks pretty garish in some frames (although kind of cool in some others)!

Midlife crisis
11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Jerry, very much for your help and advice. I'll forego the prestretching and just take my time with the stringing.

mellofelow
11-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Do U have some tip for syn gut for this hybrid?

I use Gosen Sheep Micro 17. The cross may break before Plasma mains so I think 16 gauge synthetic for cross is a better choice.

Midlife crisis
11-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Strung it up tonight. Wiry is the word, with low elongation. Weaving the last few crosses was pretty tough, and if it even slipped in my hands a little bit when I was pulling, I could feel the friction generate a lot of heat. I pulled really slowly to not burn the string. Will probably not have a chance to hit with this until the weekend though.

After I finished, I got myself a orange sherbet ice cream cup to celebrate. They're exactly the same color!

gokou703
11-17-2005, 01:15 AM
i just got my poly plasma 18 gauge today...used the 16 guage and liked it a lot. 56 main, 59 cross setup. i'm hoping that i could drop my tension a few of pounds with the 18 guage so i can feel a little more pop yet still have enough spin potential to stay in control of my shots....we'll see today...stringing it very low...53 mains 54 crosses with techn. 16 guage syn gut, 12.7 ounce ti radical OS, i'll give feedback in after a couple days of hitting...i'm a counter puncher just in case people are wondering why i'm stringing it such a low tension...

thierry
11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I play with a head lm radical mp and the poly plasma look very (orange !!) nice on my stick. I feel the 18 gauge begins to feel "boardy" at 54 so be careful of what sensations you're looking for... I will drop the tension a few pounds the next time.
Once you find the find the perfect tension for you game, you will love it!
In my opinion this string is the best price vs performance...

PBODY99
11-17-2005, 02:37 PM
@JayK

The Pro's Pro and the Signum Poly Plasma are not the same, they just look similar. The Signum is an excellent Polyester string which has excellent playing characteristics and holds the tension well. The Pro's Pro is a cheap standard Poly, well behind the Signum in terms of playability and durability.

I play the Signum Poly Plasma 1.23 for quite some time now, didn't find a better Mono gut yet.

I think the poster was refering to to the plus power which is the same bright ornge color
From the web site

High-Tech-Polyestersaite für höchste Ansprüche. Testen Sie selbst und überzeugen Sie sich von der hervorragenden Qualität dieser Saite! Ein Vergleich zahlt sich aus! Minimaler Spannungsverlust, Sehr gute Haltbarkeit, Hoher Spielkomfort, kein Verrutschen der Saiten, extreme Power. Die Saite für Sieger. Made in Germany. GLAUBEN SIE WIRKLICH, DASS VERGLEICHBARE SAITEN EINE PREISDIFFERENZ VON € 40,00 WERT SIND? Stärken: 1.18, 1.23, 1.28, Länge: 200 m, Preis p. lfd. Meter: 0,09 €

Smooothone23
11-17-2005, 03:22 PM
i have a full ppp 17 gauge at 60 in an O3 Tour. Felt boardy at first then it loosened up and started playing nicely. I also have a O3 Tour with PPP in the mains at 60 and Laserfibre Syn Gut at 60 in the crosses. Plays a lot nicer than the full PPP with a ton more feel.

Jerry Seinfeld
11-17-2005, 04:16 PM
The LF Synthetic Gut Classic makes a great cross string in hybrid with polys. It's a softer playing solid core and meshes well with poly. It also comes in a nice variety of colors.

156MPHserve
11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes LF Syn Gut is indeed a very nice string to hybrid with any string stiffer than it. Too bad it does'nt have orange...

Midlife crisis
11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
Whoa! I played tonight with the Poly Plasma. It is one >>>NICE<<< string. Very muted, soft feel but without any of the trampolining effect you get with lower string tensions. Directional control is very consistent between hard and soft shots, and between flat and spinny shots. I had no string movement, which is unusual for me, but I only played for an hour.

If it manages to hold its tension well, I'm not sure what else I would want in a string.

BreakPoint
11-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Whoa! I played tonight with the Poly Plasma. It is one >>>NICE<<< string. Very muted, soft feel but without any of the trampolining effect you get with lower string tensions. Directional control is very consistent between hard and soft shots, and between flat and spinny shots. I had no string movement, which is unusual for me, but I only played for an hour.

If it manages to hold its tension well, I'm not sure what else I would want in a string.

Midilfe,
Did you use a full Poly Plasma set-up or a hybrid? If hybrid, what did you use in the crosses (assuming PPP mains)? What tension did you string it at and what kind of racquet do you use (including head size)? Also, which gauge of PPP did you use?
Thanks

Thaychua
11-18-2005, 12:57 AM
i strung my fischer pro vacuum classic 90 with ppp hybrid...with gosen micro 16 cross at 54/54 yesterday and tested it out... and i was hitting beautifully.. Now, i dont know if it's the string or the racket, but the feeling is so buttery and i had so much control on my shots... My 1hdbh cant get any better..
I strung full gosen on other rackets before and i know how it plays but with PPP in it.. it just has some extra pop and somewhat more control... but i dont know about feel...
However, the poly that i really like a lot though seems to be the prince polygut..
i got myself this reel and i am loving every bit of it... This poly actually gives some "feel" to my racket..and besides that it feels really "soft" and offers decent power, not too much, just the right amount..
For me, even if the price of the prince polygut carries the same price as PPP, i'll still get the Prince...i think it's that good..
i urge you all to try it out...its a really nice poly compare to others...and i have tried lux rough(too harsh,rough,boardy,no feel,kinda overrated)...and ppp already...and with the price for Prince polylon...you cant find a better deal..
by the way, i strung a POG mid with Prince Polygut/Gosen cross at 58 lbs...and seriously it's so soft..that i thought im playing with a "stringless" racket..

BreakPoint
11-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Thanks for you comments. Good info. Just to clarify:

i strung my fischer pro vacuum classic 90 with ppp hybrid...with gosen micro 16 mains at 54/54 yesterday and tested it out... and i was hitting beautifully.. .

Your PPP hybrid was with PPP in the crosses and Gosen Micro 16 in the mains, right?
and ppp already...and with the price for Prince polylon...you cant find a better deal..

You mean Prince Polygut, right? Polylon is made by Gosen.

Thaychua
11-18-2005, 01:18 AM
sorry..my mistake..it's suppose to be Polygut.hahha...
and...gosen for crosses...not mains...typo

ShooterMcMarco
11-18-2005, 01:53 AM
good thing i popped a string today, now i have a reason to buy a set. i'm looking forward to playing with this string

Nakedboy87
11-18-2005, 02:40 AM
do most of you guys prefer the plasma over mega force? i haven't tried either yet.

Midlife crisis
11-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Midilfe,
Did you use a full Poly Plasma set-up or a hybrid? If hybrid, what did you use in the crosses (assuming PPP mains)? What tension did you string it at and what kind of racquet do you use (including head size)? Also, which gauge of PPP did you use?
Thanks

I used a fully 1.28mm Poly Plasma setup. It's in a Prince Triple Threat RIP (115 sq. in.) at 62 mains, 61 crosses. I've been trying to migrate away from using 16 gauge Problend in this racket because I've had some twinges in my elbow and shoulder. The racket is weighted to 13.1 ounces and 7 pts. headlight with 12.5 grams of lead on each side (25 total) at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, and probably an additional 1.75 ounces in the handle, so it's nothing like the original racket. I had previous tried NXT OS, PSGD, and Max Comfort in this racket trying to find a stiff enough stringbed like I would get with the Problend, but without the harshness when I don't hit it sweet. These were strung at various tensions from the lower 60's to the upper 60's.

The problem that I had with the NXT, PSGG, and Mac Comfort was that they played well for a short period of time but would then stretch and become very trampoline-like. That in itself I could compensate for, but when this happened, the ball trajectory for hard shots was different than for softer shots, which felt as if they were somehow sliding off the strings and would go low, and was also different for very spinny shots versus very flat shots, where I'd have to close up the racket more than usual for topspin and open it up more than usual for underspin, and of course how much I had to change the racket angle depended on how hard I would hit. This inconsistency was not playable.

When I did string at higher tensions, like 68-70 lbs, the stringbed was very stiff at first, but as the string relaxed it didn't play like a new stringjob with the same string but at the lower tension. It felt more harsh and also notched considerably, so it was clear that I was looking at a string life measured in hours. Also, after it relaxed, hard hit shots produced almost as much shock as with the kevlar.

The remaining problem was that these strings, after they had stretched, seemed to have way too much pop when I wasn't in good position. This was most noticeable when I had to stab volley at really hard, low shots, and the shot would sail long.

In the course of trying to find some new strings to cure my joint twinges, the twinges went away. It's probably a combination of the softer strings, that I'm now six or seven months into my tennis rebirth, and just being better and more consistent in my stroke mechanics. However, I'm NOT going back to kevlar - I'd look at a different racket first.

The Poly Plasma plays like a new stringjob of NXT OS. It's soft feeling on soft to moderate shots, but unlike NXT firms up on my hardest hit shots (I can serve now in the middle 110's according to a Bushnell radar gun). This is especially noticeable on balls hit very hard at me, where my ability to control the ball seems much more enhanced. The ball trajectory is extremely consistent, whether I'm hitting hard, soft, spinny, or flat. Shots hit off the tip of the frame are still jarring, more so than the NXT, but probably no worse than with PSGD and significantly better than kevlar. The power level is lower, and on my hardest hit groundstrokes on the same ball trajectory, the ball probably lands two to three feet shorter than with the NXT or Max Comfort. My stab volleys still sail, but they now have a better chance now of landing in. There has been no string movement so far. I do notice more stringbed vibration, almost a ringing tone, which is still somewhat apparent with a Wilson "W" vibration dampener.

I play SW forehand, one handed backhand, usually hit moderate topspin off both sides, and usually try to outhit my opponents. I rally at a 5.0 level, but footspeed is only at about a 4.0 level. So, for those of you who have had the same experiences with strings that I have or seem to have the same stringbed response preferences, I think you'll really like the Poly Plasma.

Jetson
11-18-2005, 10:59 AM
My first expirience with SPPP was also full poly 1.28. SPPP was better than Luxilon ALU power for me, but still poly. It's absolutely perfect at hybrid now.

Midlife crisis
11-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Played another three hours with the Poly Plasma. It feels like it has maybe lost a little bit of tension, but it is holding it way better than the PSGD that was strung up just a couple of weeks ago. I've had one or two instances where the ball seemed to fly just a bit on me, so I'm probably looking at need another pound or two in tension. Overall, the string is still extremely consistent from shot to shot and while there is now just a little bit of string movement, pretty much insignificant as it is just a mm or so and only on really bad mishits outside of the sweet spot. I'd recommend anyone who likes a polyester feel to try this string.

I do have a question though about the difference between Poly Plasma and Megaforce. Has anyone tried them both? If so, how much stiffer playing is the Megaforce than the Poly Plasma? Does it lose any more tension than the Poly Plasma, and how differently in terms of string tension would you use to try and get the same feel from the two strings?

Thanks.

spinbalz
11-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I recently strung some of my racquets with Polyplasma 1.18, and some other with Poly Meagaforce 1.19, and I clearly prefer the Megaforce.

Midlife crisis
11-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Spinbalz, what tensions did you use and why do you prefer the Megaforce?

Thanks.

spinbalz
11-20-2005, 04:53 AM
Same tension with both strings, 55 lbs on Head LM Radical Tours. More control, more power, crisper with a more direct feel for the megaforce.

Midlife crisis
11-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Same tension with both strings, 55 lbs on Head LM Radical Tours. More control, more power, crisper with a more direct feel for the megaforce.

Thanks! I'll be stringing up a racket as I watch the Nalbandian-Federer match!

Waimea_Boy
11-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks! I'll be stringing up a racket as I watch the Nalbandian-Federer match!
I won't ruin it for you by telling you the outcome then. Just be sure to watch!

Midlife crisis
11-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I won't ruin it for you by telling you the outcome then. Just be sure to watch!

You know what the bummer was? I was flipping through ESPN and ESPN 2 and saw the match scores on the ticker at the bottom of the screen. Oh, well. . .

The racket didn't get strung since I was, uhh, recruited to do some yardwork and then play an hour or so of tennis. The tennis I didn't mind so much!

westy
11-29-2005, 03:31 PM
do most of you guys prefer the plasma over mega force? i haven't tried either yet.

i have played with the plasma for a while, looks great in my wilson ntour!!. I have heard super stuff about the megaforce, apparently it outplays BB ALU power!!! I'll be gettin that next.

racingdad23
11-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I have yet to try the Megaforce. Currently using Plasma mains with Energy crosses. As good as this is I dont know if I'll ever get around to trying megaforce. I also agree, much better than Alu. According to a large string rating website (poll results show) Pro Poly Plasma is a runaway favorite to take the Newcomer String of the Year and looks like also Overall Best Poly String of 2005. There were some other categories that Luxilon BB is going to win in close voting that PPP should have won but they had nominated three string diameters of PPP against one of Alu BB so the Plasma vote was split between those three.

Midlife crisis
11-30-2005, 12:17 AM
I've gotten some more hours in on my Poly Plasma 1.28 and I'm still happy as a clam. I never did string up the Megaforce so I'll probably wait until this Poly Plasma breaks, but there's practically zero string movement and though I can chew through a PSGD stringjob in just a few hours, I'm probably nearing ten hours on the Poly Plasma and it still looks nearly new.

I've never tried any Luxilon string, but at least according to the RSI string selector guides, they lose more tension than I've seen from the Poly Plasma. I get all the spin I want, it's soft and easy on the arm, but firms up nicely when hitting hard. I'm not sure there's any reason for me to continue trying other strings.

eagle
11-30-2005, 06:01 AM
I've been playing with the Laserfibre Krypto for quite a while now. I recently tried the Signum Poly and came to realize and was actually told by the vendor that the Signum and the Krypto are the same.

As noted in this thread, it is very durable and hardly moves. I like it a lot.

r,
eagle