PDA

View Full Version : Klip beats Luxilon in Review!?!

TripleB
11-16-2005, 06:39 AM
I was looking at the various polyester strings offered by T-W and noticed that the KLIP X-Plosive 17g string set (17g Klip K-Boom/Klip Natural Gut hybrid) gets an incredible review:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/KEXP17/KEXP17Review.html (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/KEXP17/KEXP17Review.html)

MUCH higher marks than the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L string received:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/ALUSTR/ALUSTRReview.html (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/ALUSTR/ALUSTRReview.html)

I realize that the Luxilon was a full polyester string job and the X-Plosive had natural gut in the crosses (they also did the gut/poly hyrid), but would it make that much of a difference in the feel of the racquet? OR Is the Klip K-Boom a better string than the Luxilon?

Anyone tried the K-Boom?

TripleB

Xevoius
11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Putting natural gut really changes the playing characterstics of a racquet a lot. It adds more feel and the tension loss over time is very small.

monologuist
11-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I've used the Klip X-plosive hybrid....you can do it cheaper by just buying Klip Legend Gut and Klip KBoom poly separately though. It is probably the best poly hybrid I've tried. THe spin you get is unreal...more than straight up KBoom. Kboom is basically Lux ALU...it is nearly identical if not identical but a little cheaper. Anyway, highly recommended hybrid, and not surprised it is rated higher than the straight up ALU.

TripleB
11-16-2005, 04:56 PM
I've used the Klip X-plosive hybrid....you can do it cheaper by just buying Klip Legend Gut and Klip KBoom poly separately though. It is probably the best poly hybrid I've tried. THe spin you get is unreal...more than straight up KBoom. Kboom is basically Lux ALU...it is nearly identical if not identical but a little cheaper. Anyway, highly recommended hybrid, and not surprised it is rated higher than the straight up ALU.

I'm really impressed by the Yonex 850 strings...How do you think the Klip K-Boom 17g would play with it as the mains and the Yonex 850 as the crosses?

Have you ever tried a Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L/synthetic hybrid? If so, how does it compare to the Xplosive hybrid (especially in the area of touch/feel and power)?

Thanks for your input here....it seems that not many people play the Klip brand....I haven't in many many years, not since I used to string my own Klippermate racquet.

TripleB

basil J
11-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I have been experimenting with Klip adrenalin, Straight hardcore and K-Boom and the big difference I see is that I can string the klip poly's at higher tensions without jarring my arm like I did with alu power and they hold tension 3 times as long as ALU poly's. The adrenalin hybrid is excellent and lasted me over 20 hours of play with minimal loss in playability. I string Klip Hybrids and poly's in my 03 tour at 62# with no problems. They are very soft playing polys. (I use 17' gauge which play softer than 16'). I advise to check them out. I am now trying a 17' crossfire on my mains with Klip gut on the crosses at 62# and that is also quite excellent..

monologuist
11-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Kboom/Yonex 850 would be alright, but not as good as the Xplosive combo...its the gut in the crosses that is the key , contrary to what many seem to believe (that you can get away with any old soft synthetic for crosses with a poly). I've tried all the different iterations and combinations, and this is the conclusion I've arrived at.

TripleB
11-17-2005, 04:52 AM
Kboom/Yonex 850 would be alright, but not as good as the Xplosive combo...its the gut in the crosses that is the key , contrary to what many seem to believe (that you can get away with any old soft synthetic for crosses with a poly). I've tried all the different iterations and combinations, and this is the conclusion I've arrived at.

Thanks for the help. I noticed that the X-Plosive has both the 17g poly and the 17g gut....did you find the poly still broke before the 17g gut crosses?

TripleB