PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon String with Best Feel/Touch?

TripleB
11-16-2005, 08:03 AM
In taking a look at the ratings of various Luxilon strings over at $trin9f0rum.net , it seems that the Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18g string offers the best feel of any Luxilon string.

Which Luxilon string do you feel offers the best touch/feel?

The reason I ask is because I tried the Ace 18 one time based on the praise it received from my stringer. I don't remember what I used as the cross string but to me it didn't seem like it had very much touch/feel at all and the power level was also much lower than the Big Banger ALU Power 16L.

TripleB

Fatmike
11-16-2005, 08:04 AM
I tried both Ace and Timo 18, both are similar but overall I like Timo 18 better.

christo
11-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Triple B, you shouldn't use touch/feel and Luxilon in the same sentence. Lux strings don't have any of the aforementioned qualities. I suggest you try a simple experiment . Hit for a day with Lux, try all the touch/feel shots i.e. volley, dropper etc. Come out the next day and work with a syngut frame. You'll be torn between the two, Lux gives you crisp, firm, powerful shots but the touch shots just aren't there. It's a tough choice but I've gone back to a multi main and a mono cross and you wanna know something? I'm playing better than ever and no chance of arm/elbow problems. Cheers

TripleB
11-16-2005, 10:04 AM
If you are to go by the ratings given on the Luxilon website and you consider the combination of 'Control' and 'Comfort' to equal feel and touch (which may or may not be the case but that's as close as it gets using their ratings), then the Luxilon strings going from best to worst as far as touch/feel is concerned are:

1- Big Banger TiMO

2- Big Banger Ace (tie)

2- Big Banger ALU Power (tie)

2- MonoTec Supersense (tie)

5- Big Banger LTS

6- Big Banger XP

7- Big Banger Original

8- Big Banger 5 Star

If you factor in the Power ratings with the Control and Comfort ratings then going from best to worst:

1- BB TiMO

2- BB Ace (tie)

2- BB ALU Power (tie)

4- MT Supersense (tie)

4- BB LTS (tie)

6- BB XP

7- BB Original

8- BB 5 Star

And if you really care, taking into consideration all four categories listed on the Luxilon website (Durability/Power/Control/Comfort), they are (from best to worst):

1- BB Ace (tie)

1- BB ALU Power (tie)

1- BB LTS (tie)

1- BB Original (tie)

1- BB TiMO (tie)

1- MT Supersense (tie)

7- BB XP

8- BB 5 Star

BTW: I didn't include the ratings for the Luxilon hybrids because I'll be using a Yonex sting as my crosses.

All this is just FYI.

TripleB

TripleB
11-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Triple B, you shouldn't use touch/feel and Luxilon in the same sentence. Lux strings don't have any of the aforementioned qualities. I suggest you try a simple experiment . Hit for a day with Lux, try all the touch/feel shots i.e. volley, dropper etc. Come out the next day and work with a syngut frame. You'll be torn between the two, Lux gives you crisp, firm, powerful shots but the touch shots just aren't there. It's a tough choice but I've gone back to a multi main and a mono cross and you wanna know something? I'm playing better than ever and no chance of arm/elbow problems. Cheers

The other day I hit with my two RDX-500 Midplus racquets - one has all natural gut and the other has a Luxilon/Gosen hybrid in it. I obviously had the gut strung too low because I was overwhelmed with the power and had to "baby" the ball to keep it in play. Feel and touch was wonderful with the gut but spin and control was nowhere close to that of the poly/syn hybrid.

I would settle for something in between the two. I'm hoping that if the durability of an all Yonex 850 string job doesn't work out I can find some polyester string that I can hybrid with the Yonex string in the crosses and get "enough" touch that I can live with.

I think as I become more comfortable at the net that touch up there will get better no matter what string I have in my racquet.

TripleB

Rabbit
11-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Christo's right. I think polys and touch/feel are oxymorons.

That said, Supersense gives the best touch/feel of the Luxilon strings. You can't really tell it's a poly it's so soft. Problem is, I couldn't get two balls in the court with it.

In terms of control and spin, you can't beat Timo in the 17 gauge. For a slightly more lively feel, 18 gauge is the ticket.

I didn't care for Ace either time I tried it. It was the first Luxilon string I tried and I hated it. After playing with Timo for several months, I gave it another swing. Same results, I didn't care for it at all. However, it is very popular on the boards with other players, so its popularity must have some foundation.

ALU has the best of both worlds. It is the most comfortable of the Luxilon line with the best control. That is to say that it is probably the best all around string in the group. It is not as comfortable as Supersense and doesn't have the control of TIMO, but it's nowhere near as harsh.

Original is also a fine string. I think it is very comfortable, but lacks touch. It doesn't have the bite that ALU and Timo do (or Ace) as well.

If you're looking for a hard, slightly harsh string that delivers tons of spin and control, go with TIMO.

If you're looking for a slightly more comfort with the trade off being less control and spin, go with ALU.

If you're looking for a plush hit with slightly less control, but about the same spin as ALU, go with Original.

Finally, if you're looking for a plush hit with no control, go with Supersense.

My take on Luxilon strings is that they deliver on performance. They have a reputation with some players as causing arm problems. I didn't have any problems with them. I'm back to natural gut or a multi because they deliver more feel/touch and are better at net. IMO, and from my experience, natural gut and multis are also cheaper because Luxilon strings just don't have the same performance envelope that the other two do. They lose their playability rather quickly and the ball becomes damn near impossible to control.

After all that dissertation, I should note that I still have some Timo in 18 gauge. I'm not looking to sell it either. I've gotten away from it before and come back. I don't think I will this time because I'm really starting to enjoy playing net again with my current set up. However, I've lived long enough to never say never as well.

TripleB
11-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Christo's right. I think polys and touch/feel are oxymorons.

That said, Supersense gives the best touch/feel of the Luxilon strings. You can't really tell it's a poly it's so soft. Problem is, I couldn't get two balls in the court with it.

In terms of control and spin, you can't beat Timo in the 17 gauge. For a slightly more lively feel, 18 gauge is the ticket.

I didn't care for Ace either time I tried it. It was the first Luxilon string I tried and I hated it. After playing with Timo for several months, I gave it another swing. Same results, I didn't care for it at all. However, it is very popular on the boards with other players, so its popularity must have some foundation.

ALU has the best of both worlds. It is the most comfortable of the Luxilon line with the best control. That is to say that it is probably the best all around string in the group. It is not as comfortable as Supersense and doesn't have the control of TIMO, but it's nowhere near as harsh.

Original is also a fine string. I think it is very comfortable, but lacks touch. It doesn't have the bite that ALU and Timo do (or Ace) as well.

If you're looking for a hard, slightly harsh string that delivers tons of spin and control, go with TIMO.

If you're looking for a slightly more comfort with the trade off being less control and spin, go with ALU.

If you're looking for a plush hit with slightly less control, but about the same spin as ALU, go with Original.

Finally, if you're looking for a plush hit with no control, go with Supersense.

My take on Luxilon strings is that they deliver on performance. They have a reputation with some players as causing arm problems. I didn't have any problems with them. I'm back to natural gut or a multi because they deliver more feel/touch and are better at net. IMO, and from my experience, natural gut and multis are also cheaper because Luxilon strings just don't have the same performance envelope that the other two do. They lose their playability rather quickly and the ball becomes damn near impossible to control.

After all that dissertation, I should note that I still have some Timo in 18 gauge. I'm not looking to sell it either. I've gotten away from it before and come back. I don't think I will this time because I'm really starting to enjoy playing net again with my current set up. However, I've lived long enough to never say never as well.

Thank you for your detailed review.

I guess I'm really looking for more touch and feel that I currently get out of my Luxilon BB ALU Power/Gosen hybrid. I really want to go to an all Yonex Tour Super 850 16L string job but am afraid that I will not be happy with the durability I get out of it (I use heavy spin off both sides). That's why I'm currently looking for a back up plan.

I've tried my RDX500 MP with natural gut (currently have it in one of the two RDX500s) and really love the feel I get with the gut but the power seems almost uncontrollable (probably have it strung too loose) and the spin is nowhere what I get with the hybrid set up (natural gut is 15L).

Funny you should mention the net...that's the part of my game I'm currently trying to add. I've always hated coming to the net but I recently playtested the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 (strung with a Yonex multi) and it was amazing at the net so I started coming up that way more (before I would only come up to shake hands). Now I'm even serving and volleying about 40% of the time.

I never really noticed the lack of touch/feel with the polys until I venture up there...now I wonder how I ever did without the touch and feel.

Have you tried either of the Yonex strings (Tour Super 850 16L or the 850 Pro Spin)? If so, what did you think?

Thanks again for all your help...it's greatly appreciated.

TripleB

fishuuuuu
11-16-2005, 02:32 PM
I liked TiMo ... but it made me arm sore.

zorg
11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Which Luxilon string is best for the arm?

timmyboy
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
does the alu touch (built in hybrid one) have the same feel on the groundstrokes as well as better touch? If not, what poly hybrid (luxilon or not) would do best?