PDA

View Full Version : lower tension = better for arm/shoulder?

joness
11-16-2005, 09:31 AM
if i use a stiff string, usually a poly syn hybrid, or luxilon, is it a definite that it will hurt my arm. How much can i lower the tension and help my arm out but still be able to take a full swing at my shots. Any suggestions? or are stiffs strings not for me. i like them cause they last a long while. thanks, Sam

louis netman
11-16-2005, 09:57 AM
If you're a young guy, you may not have problems until later on. If you're using poly in addition to a light/stiff frame, then it will creep up faster...

If you really, truly need to use poly for it's durability, put it in a flexy frame.

Try to get in the habit of using heavier, more flexy frames with strings that are less harsh...if you can.

joness
11-16-2005, 11:09 AM
so i use a 12 _ oz frame in the prince graphite longbody midplus, but its only strung at 57 lbs. I wasn't sure but i thought that most thin beam rackets are really flexable, is this correct?

Bobo Lat
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I hear there are multis that are low on power without having the arm crunching stiffness of a poly. Maybe that's what you need.

killer
11-16-2005, 12:35 PM
I'd suggest lowering your tension by as much as 5 lbs to decrease the 'crunch' on your arm. You'll find that you have a bit more access to power, so you may want to tinker with your swing speed a little bit. But the stiffer your string tension is, the more impact vibration will be transferred through your racquet and into your arm. Hope this helps!

Cruzer
11-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Considering that polyester strings have a higher percentage tension loss than other string types and in general they are the stiffest strings being sold today I think lowering tension is not going to provide great results. There are a lot of other string choices besides polyester that will not put your arm at risk.

steve s
11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
How long do you keep a poly string in your racquet? Are you a string breaker?

joness
11-16-2005, 03:14 PM
well i string them myself, and mainly because i can't stand kevlar, or restringing my racket every few days, i have given up on all synthetic guts, as i feel polyester feels better than kevlar, and doesn't break as much as synthetic gut. i have used polyester for about 5 years (polymono/fiberfeel) (prince let er rip) (all luxilon) strung about 6 lbs looser in the lux

the strings usually stay in my racket for 2 or three weeks