PDA

View Full Version : Forten Thin Blend

Simbah2004
02-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Anybody plays with this string? What do you think?

Hyperstate
02-27-2004, 01:29 AM
I assume you have read the reviews at the strings page? Anyway, I've played with it, so here goes...

It's a very thin gauge and I find that it has a lot of bite on the ball. Gives very good top spin but the mains do move a lot. Because it's Kevlar, it feels kinda dead compared to other materials. Didn't like it for volleys. I've also tried the Toalson Hybrid Control, which uses a nylon-aramid construction main string, with a nylon cross. Significantly softer and plays better IMO. Much better feel in volleying. Mains still moved a lot though.

Oh well, give it a try if you're a string breaker :wink:

Simbah2004
02-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks Hyperstate, I've read the reviews... Seems like a good deal given the price. What tension did you use? Some people have suggested to string the mains on very low tensions. Also, was it durable despite its thin gauge?

Stinkdyr
02-27-2004, 09:47 AM
imho, peeps on this board too often suggest stringing loosely. just try it the first time at your usual tension, adjust from there if you need to.

Hyperstate
02-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Let's see... it was strung on a Dunlop MW200G 100sq inch. Has a dense string pattern of 18 x 20.

Mains at 58, crosses at 60. And yes, it was very durable. I've never broken the strings but then, I am sensitive to tension changes, so I restring after 9 or 10 hours of play. Well, it is cheap! :D

christo
02-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Arm Killer, BEWARE!

Momo
02-28-2004, 10:33 PM
It is more harsh on the arm than other types of strings like gut or synth gut, but if you have an arm friendly racquet, it could help offset things. I've played with a light racquet strung with synth gut that gave me arm trouble before while my current racquet, the Prince Original Graphite OS, is strung with Forten Aramid Gear (basically thicker version of Thin Blend) and is very easy on my arm. I definitely would not use kevlar with a light racquet though. That's just asking for trouble. The string's really stiff so your arm's gonna feel the impact of the ball and if your racquet doesn't have enough mass and flex to dampen the shock, you're history. Good luck.

Simbah2004
03-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Well, I just played with this string today, on my Pro Staff Zone mains 50 crosses 58...
I hit hard and break strings often, but this is too much - no feel at all and I had to put the mains back in place every single point... I will go back to Lux Alu Power... Thanks guys.