PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most powerful ProKennex players racket

Mark Carlisle
05-29-2004, 11:03 AM
I am thinking of purchasing some new Kennex frames. I have used their rackets for 10 years and wish to continue supporting them.

I currently use a modified 5G with 5 x 3 grams Gamma lead weights at 10,11,12,1 and 2 o'clock.

With the lead would this be as powerful as an off the shelf 5G PSE frame.

Or as a comparison would even the 15g PSE be more powerful than the above ?

Thanks in advance

Steve H.
05-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Well, lessee -- you are adding about 35 swingweight points, and shifting the balance point about half an inch; assuming your 5g started out at TW spec, that makes it 353 SW and 5 points head-light. A stock 5g PSE is heavier, and has more weight in the handle, but otherwise might feel pretty similar. The 15g PSE is lighter, swingweight of only 324, and has a bigger head.

So it depends on what you mean by "power" -- if you like plowing through the ball with your modified 5g, with its high weight and swingweight, the 5gPSE will be closer. If you want something that has more mobility, swings like a stock 5g but hits the ball further, you might prefer the 15g PSE.

tennisbabe
05-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I would suggest either the 7g (half inch longer will give you more power, plus its swingweight is a tad heavier than the 5g) or the Core1 No.6. Though I agree with Steve H - depends what you mean by "power".

Mark Carlisle
05-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks your replies.

Ultimate objective is to consistently achieve an increased service speed of about 10-15 mph which would then be 95-100 mph..ish

Also having a bit more ****** on a ''half opportunity'', slower, half to three quarter length ball to my one handed backhand would be nice.

Steve H.
05-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Ultimately, since service power is a function of both mass and head speed it's mostly a matter of mechanics and personal preference. A frame with a lot of swingweight will be harder to get moving fast but will deliver more punch once it gets there, kind of a tradeoff. Pete served pretty well with his modified ProStaff, 85 sqin and over 14 ounces. Andy does even better with his more-or-less stock Pure Drive Plus, 100 sqin and under 12 ounces. Maybe what you really want is serving lessons?

But some frames seem to serve faster than others. Ones that are very light or very head-light don't. A lot of people like the Pure Drive for serving, in the ProKennex line maybe you could try the Laver S or SX and see what that does for you. specs are pretty similar to the PD. I've been enjoying playing with the S lately, and my serves, volleys, and short backhands do seem a little more menacing. Let us know what you find out!

Mark Carlisle
05-31-2004, 12:07 AM
Steve,

Thanks your further suggestion. After your first post, thinking my modified 2001 - 5g with the lead is similar....ish to a 5g PSE, I ordered a 15g PSE. It will arrive in two weeks. I did not think of the Laver type but can also buy a demo later. I bought a video camera and will take some lessons as well.

Will revert when the 15g PSE arrives.

El Diablo
05-31-2004, 07:45 AM
I demoed the 15 PSE and had to put it down after a few minutes...the power rendered me unable to keep any backhand slices in the court. Considerable topspin is a must. I also had trouble landing second serves in the box.

Steve Huff
05-31-2004, 01:48 PM
I use the 5g. Have also used the Laver Type S for a while and the older ti15g weighted up to 12oz. My 5g's are also weighted up to 12 oz, with the weight at 2 and 10. Still, the 5g has considerably less power than the other 2. Both the others take a little time to get used to though. The Laver, at first, seems to have a much smaller sweetspot than the 5g. I'm sure it does though, it's just in a different location. It's a great hitting racket. The ti15g was also a very good hitting racket. I could hit serves with it that I couldn't dream of hitting with the 5g. It took almost a month of playing 3-4 times/week to really find the sweetspot though. I think a lot of people give up on a racket before that amount of time. Ultimately, it came down to comfort. The 5g is much more comfortable than the other 2. I've heard that the newer 15g and 15gPSE are more comfortable than the older ti versions though. I'm sure, with its larger head, extra length and stiffer construction, it's going to be more powerful than the other two.

Mark Carlisle
06-07-2004, 06:44 AM
As promised a comment when the 15g PSE arrived, which I have used for 3-4 hours over the last week.

I agree it probably takes a month of playing 3-4 times a week to really test a new racket. However, as an initial observation, I liked the 15G PSE but in comparison to the customised 5g with 15grams of lead weight it does feel a little 'tinny'. The serve was great but some of the ground strokes flew beyond the base line unless the technique was spot on.

Whilst using both frames I took a video and consolidated my classic full Philopoussis style service takeback. Not as extreme as Roddicks but it helped alot in being able to manage a heavier frame.

So in conclusion will maintain a simpler 100 sqaure inch head.

I would like to try the Core, Laver and 7g frames as they all sound very good, but this is extreme and an expensive exercise. In practice I will probably buy one maybe two additional rackets to test.

The ultimate one seems to be the 5g PSE, which is reasonably head light but is it just too heavy overall ? Do you really need to be a 5.50 playing standard and either inherently strong or with well gym ''toned'' triceps to use this racket.