PDA

View Full Version : A bit off topic but I have to *** the older tennis folks

derekryone
05-29-2004, 06:55 PM
I just would like to start by saying that this is a wonderful site with a ton of good people with a ton of tennis info...

My question is geared to the older people on the boards. I'm getting tired of all the new tech stuff, as well as people wondering when the newest stick is going to be available. I've tried quite a few of them and they can not replace the wonders of the PC600, the baseline power of the POG, the great serving stick that is the PS60 and coming to net to get the easy put away volley. Or what about the hidden classic wilson fpk? I played my high school years with this and after a few years played college with it... Is there a frame that come close to this?

Anyway, I'm sorry for getting off topic and ranting. I've been wondering if the older people have been having fun playing with the newer frames, or do you find yourself like me, searching for older frames like the PS61 or the others I meansioned earlier to stock up on? I personally play with the PS600 and pull all the mensioned frames out of the bag from time to time, as well as a few others...

And to the tennis companies...stop "reinventing a frame each year!" and maybe you might get many of use using your frame for more than a year...but, that's your goal... each one of us putting down 200-400 per year for the latest frame...

David Pavlich
05-30-2004, 09:04 AM
I've found that a lot of people like changing racquets. It's part to do with being caught up in the new craze and part that they can afford it.

I'm a car nut and if I could afford it, I'd be changing cars like some people here change racquets.

As far as the companies not coming out with new stuff, forget it. While some manufacturers have slowed down new introductions, it is still pervasive and isn't going to stop in the near future.

As long as people buy the new stuff, the trend will continue.

FYI, I mostly use a POG OS. I do have a Volkl Cat 10 in my bag for those days that I feel feisty!

David

Ronaldo
05-30-2004, 11:28 AM
IMHO, the newer racquets are stiffer in every way to create a higher, larger sweetspot. Have the Wilson FPK 85,95, and 110 and all three have a really damped sweetspot, low in the head.
But it is flexible and probably absorb some of your power. Met many players that just don't want that type of flexy feel.

Kirko
05-30-2004, 12:05 PM
I think the new tech. good be so much better with just one thing make them a bit more heavier . I bet the new tech. would play like a dream ! I see these reviews & "a real players frame " 11 oz. come on !

Steve H.
05-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Very few of us play with the 15-ounce 65 sqin wooden racquet of the pre-graphite era, so we have all sold out to technology to some extent. The question is, how far do we go? Older players do it as much if not more than younger ones -- most of the senior players at our club, even the best ones, use large superlight frames with a lot of damping gizmos on them.

As David says, a lot of us switch racquets because we can and it's fun. I'm 53 and have enjoyed going through a half-dozen models over the past few years, some heavier and some lighter -- it feels good to hit with the flexy classics but the ball goes farther with the stiffer ones so I can play with more topspin. Which is better? As the saying goes, vive la difference.

Morpheus
05-31-2004, 08:42 AM
I sorta skipped the generation of rackets everyone gushes over (Pro Staff). I went from wood to a aluminum Prince Pro, then 15 years off, and now to the new generation of rackets.

I'm still figuring out my game because I can hit so many new types of shots with the newer rackets that just weren't possible with wood or the early 80s rackets. I have found, however, that I play best with a 11 to 12 oz, flexible thin beam racket and that's what I am sticking with. So, no, I'm not all that interested in switching frames every year; I just play with strings, weight/balance, and tension, but mostly focus on my technique.

dct5
07-07-2004, 10:31 PM
I play for fun now, and hit with an old Dunlop McEnroe Boron/Graphite that I inherited years ago from my brother. One of my friends that I play mixed doubles with handed me a Prince Scream to try - FUN!! My elbow stopped hurting. I have a Continental grip and a huge swing (too old to change), so it often sailed long, and now they go IN. I haven't ever played so well as the two matches I used it for. Hey, I'm not a young'n anymore. My old elbow LIKES the new fangled rackets.

jings
07-08-2004, 12:41 AM
I have fun with the newer stuff but it seems to be within a defined area. I've hit PS6.0 95, before that the Max 200G and before that the Maxply Fort - each for about 10 years give or take. I really went back to the game 2 years ago, started regular coaching and am hitting better than ever. No question my strokes have changed / improved and I found I had out grown the 6.0. Demoed lots of sticks and took a chance on the Tour 90's that have been huge fun with bags of power. What I've noticed of late though is that my "power" game has come on and I rally better than ever, but my serve % has fallen. I think ultimatley the sweet spot on the T90 is too small. But yes, I'm defintiely up for the new stuff, it helps, but it's not all good. As we get older we learn about balance in our lives I guess!

roundiesee
07-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi derek. Nice thread you started. 2 things come to mind when discussing "older" folks- Aging and Injury. Wouldn't we love to play with the same abandon we once did when we were younger with our PC600 and PS85? But unfortunately, this is not possible and there will come a time when all of us will get that creaky elbow and that inflammed shoulder. Time is cruel, and it is not possible even to continue with the same strokes that once proved so lethal and fearful to our opponents. I've had to switch to lighter "granny" sticks and changed the way I play because of the aforementioned 2, and this is where new technology will prove useful. Only a few of us are lucky enough to avoid this fate and continue to use our beloved player's frames indefinitely (and I'm definitely not one of these fortunate few!). Now if only I can save up enough dough for the next version of "Holy Grail"..........

JohnThomas1
07-08-2004, 02:39 AM
I love the new sticks. I'm 34 and use an i.x6, have never hit better :)

El Diablo
07-08-2004, 02:49 AM
Some day you'll perhaps find that you're older, and instead of a new job or new classes each year and a new girlfriend every three months, you'll have been in the same job for 10 or 15 years and have been having sex with the same wife for 10 (or 15, or 25, or....) years, dealing with your children every night, and you'll think to yourself "what can I do to bring something a little new into my life?" Voila!!! A new tennis racquet, perhaps, if not a mid-life Harley.

roundiesee
07-08-2004, 02:54 AM
John, you're far too young to be using that racket. You should be out there hitting with an i-Prestige mid! :-) Cheers!

SC in MA
07-08-2004, 08:00 AM
I've been wondering if the older people have been having fun playing with the newer frames, or do you find yourself like me, searching for older frames like the PS61 or the others I meansioned earlier to stock up on?

While I believe there are technology advances that improve rackets, I also think that there are way too many new racket introductions being made way too frequently, each claiming a technology advance that most often really isn't there. I think most of this is driven by sales needs, but I won't get into that right now.

To more directly answer your question... I don't like switching rackets all that much. I've had 3 main rackets over the past 30 years. the Wilson Kramer (wood), the Prince Spectrum Comp 90, and the Wilson HPS61. I think each was an improvement over the previous one.

As I've aged, I'm definitely more inclined to try new rackets rather than stocking up. I went thru the stocking up period with the Prince Spectrum, but eventually I found that there were rackets out there that would better suit my game. After going thru a long demo cycle of numerous rackets, I chose the HPS61, which I think proved to be a better racket for me than the Spectrum. Recently, I went thru a 6 month trial with the Bab. Pure Control 2001 and found that it was not a better racket for me than the HPS61.

I'm now at the point where I'm wondering if I should actually go with a lighter, head-light racket for use against players who are extremely consistent on clay, but are not big hitters. I started thinking about this after playing a match on clay against a nationally ranked 62 year old, who was basically a human backboard. He basically hit deep but not particulary hard unless he had the right, high percentage opportunity to go for a shot. The match was a marathon. During the match I noticed that he was using one of the Wilson Serena models (not sure which one, but it was light and head heavy). He said he switched a few years ago from the traditional heavy, head-light racket because endurance was so important in tournament play, where he would often need to play two matches on consecutive days. Even though he was in great shape and did weight work, etc, he still found the need for the lighter racket.

I'm now 54. As I age, I've come to realize my racket needs will change (or maybe they already have and I don't yet realize it !). So, while I don't particularly like going thru the process of switching rackets, I can't see myself ever stocking up again on any given stick. Rackets improve and our needs change over time.

I just wish I had an unlimited budget to buy the select number of sticks I think would help my game ! (I think short-term demos can be misleading. In most cases, I don't think you really learn about a racket until you've used it for at least a month--thus in the ideal world, I would buy to try, rather than demo.)

Anyway, sorry for such a long rambling ! I hope somewhere in there was an answer to your question.

drakulie
07-08-2004, 08:27 AM
For me, there has not been one new frame I have hit with that would will me to replace my PS 85 Original(not even fricken close). The only 2 racquets I would remotely consider replacing my PS 85 with are the POG, and Dunlop Max 200g. I would only do this if I had absolutely no other choice.

SC in MA
07-08-2004, 09:09 AM
drakulie: While I've only hit with the PS85 a few times, I loved hitting with it. I especially appreciated it's "plow thru" capability. Just a great stick. I sometimes wonder why I never bought one.

Anyway, I now doubt I that I could use it on a regular basis. A friend my age who used to use it (and loves it), gave it up because the weight wore him out. I think it would probably do the same to me.

I wonder how many over-50 players there are, who play regularly and still use it as their main stick, especially singles. Just curious. Are you older than 50 ?

This is generalized, but I wonder at about what age range does a traditional players racket (heavy, head-light) become too much for a skilled singles player ?

drakulie
07-08-2004, 09:46 AM
SC, I am 35 years old. In actuality, I become more tired when I play with a lighter racquet. The lighter racquets make me feel like my arm is flopping all over the place and there is too much pressure put on my arm through contact. Whereas with the heavier frame I do not feel so much shock at contact because the PS 85 is stiff and has good mass.

I could tell you that I have seen several people in the mid forties to fifties still usiing this racquet, along with some of the others I mentioned. Needless to say, they are very capable players.

Interesting topic. I look forward to hearing other peoples responses.

SC in MA
07-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks drakulie. I understand what you're saying about the importance of mass in a racket (or the lack thereof in a lighter racket). Interesting comment about the lighter racket making you more tired. I haven't hit with many light rackets, but I definitely didn't like their tinny and/or unstable feel. I guess this is just another incentive for me to keep fit ! :-)

As an aside, in the next day or so, I'll be hitting with the n6.1 95. I also hope to hit with the n6.1 90 when it becomes more readily available. Based on what I've read, these sound like rackets that might help this old guy stay with a player's stick. Solid, but with a lighter feel.

drakulie
07-08-2004, 10:36 AM
SC, Good luck. Be sure to post your feedback of those two sticks.

NoBadMojo
07-08-2004, 10:55 AM
jumping in here. i'm 55, a long time teaching pro and former usta open age ranked player. loved the fpk too btw (the blue one in midsize). i find i use the same sort of gear i have used for years except i string less tightly as i get older. learned w. wood and then used flexy thin beamed headlight frames ever since. every time i tried game improvement, my game actually went in the dumper. everytime i grab something stiff or have a hit w. poly i get twinges. i've never had an arm, shoulder, elbow or wrist problems even once...now if i can only do something about these achilles ;) anyway, i think there have only been very minour improvements in racquets for the better player since the advent of graphite.....i feel like i can pretty much use anything pretty well as long as it has some mass, is headlight and flexy and i can string w. gut or gut hybrid. i think light and stiff frames should only be for the old and infirmed and weak (people that cant swing anything else fast enough to play).. many of them cant hit it hard enough to get arm probs anyway. my .o2. ed

NoBadMojo
07-08-2004, 11:56 AM
derek btw no, i havent found an axe that comes anywhere close to the way the blue ultra fpk in mid played. they really dont make frames that are stiffer in the shaft and throat and flexy in the hoop like that as far as i know. i think i have benefitted a little by technology though using the tour10mps..to me that was a good use of titanium technology <in the hoop for a little more stifness and pop>. but i havent found anything that can serve the way the ultra fpk's do..i wish i could use them better from the back. ed