PDA

View Full Version : muscle soreness

hoggie
05-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I have a soreness like a tight muscle on the back side of my knee (Calf). I am wondering hoe is the best way to rehab this??? I noticed it the most even when i am on my feet all day. i don't think it has anything to do with the tendons or cart. Anybody have an opinion???

NMTennis
05-30-2004, 01:36 PM
How long has this been going on? Did it start suddenly (do you remember it was a specific event) or did it start more slowly?
Have you experienced chest pain or shortness of breath? History of clots in your family?

Important to make sure there is not asymmetry of the calf. Mark a point approx 10 cm below the bottom of the kneecap. Then measure the circumference of your calf and compare right from left. If there is significant asymmetry in the painful calf - I would give your physician a call to get an ultrasound of the leg to make sure there isn't a clot in your leg (a DVT or Deep venous thrombosis).

If there isn't asymmetry, and all the above questions are negative and really does seem to be a muscle strain - then ice, ibuprofen around the clock, rest, stretching and time will do the trick...

lendl lives
06-03-2004, 12:59 PM
i've been back into tennis for 6 or 7 months after 6 or 7 years of being a couch potato. i play 3-4 times per week for about 3-6 hours. (some wait time between sets) i started playing doubles and am playing more singles now and riding my bike for endurance. after a 4 hour singles match my legs (just above the knees mainly) were sore. a friend said i should play through it and i'll get stronger, but another guy said i should rest a few days before coming back. i decided to play through it yesterday and my legs feel better today. what are your opinions on this?

Lee
07-11-2004, 12:09 AM
if you are sore, rub the part with some BENGAY (from safeway, walgreens...etc). Seriously, it has been my savior!!