PDA

View Full Version : playing tennis outdoor in 30 degree weather

pham4313
12-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I have been hitting tennis at night around 8 pm or even later and it is cold here where i live, but after the first 30 mins hitting to warm up my body is kinda adjusting to it and it doesnt feel that cold at all (i played the night before and temperature was 28 F of course without wind). My point is as long as its not windy, outdoor tennis is still possible even at 30ish Farenheit temperature. I breathe out smog also and its fun to get a match on.
Whats your extreme playing condition so far? I wouldnt call mine extreme yet.

Ronaldo
12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
And you found a partner to hit with in those temps? WOW, used pressureless balls when it is under 40 degrees but under 30, not yet.

legolas
12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
we do it here in ct too, lol

Kaptain Karl
12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
At this altitude, the cold feels colder and the hot feels hotter. I don't play outdoors under 40.

- KK

Jack the Hack
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
When I was in high school, I was so crazy about tennis that I practiced my serve on snow covered courts once. My family couldn't afford an indoor court membership for me, so I did whatever I could to keep my game going in the winter!

Muse
12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah, it gets pretty cold in Utah too so i've played many a time in freezing weather. The weird thing is that i have to still wear shorts. I just cant play tennis in long pants for some reason.

pham4313
12-01-2005, 05:23 PM
I hit with this girl and after warming up, she took off her sweater and just only a t-shirt left...this girl is so strong. And as the match went on, i am the one who grunts a lot while she is pretty quiet on the other side. We do have an indoor tennis club but its 40 min drive and $15 entrance is no go for me. Ohh, btw, the girl i mention used to play in high school team :mrgreen:

simon
12-01-2005, 06:37 PM
I play throughout the winter but then again it never really gets that cold here. High 30s / low 40s is about my limit and that lets me play after work through the Dec-Feb cold period.

I just warm up in sweats and then play in shorts w/ t-shirt and long-sleeve top over it. The most important thing is covering my ears on the really cold nights...they start to hurt if it's breezy at all.

But hey, I'm originally from Minnesota. South Carolina winters are like a nice spring day. :D

simon

tonyjh63
12-01-2005, 07:17 PM
28 F is the coldest I've played in yet. Not bad at all, once you get warmed up (about 10 minutes) and if there's no wind blowing - I think the lack of a breeze is the biggest thing.
Also, you have to hit the ball a lot harder when it gets real cold.

Aeropro joe
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
I hit with this girl and after warming up, she took off her sweater and just only a t-shirt left...this girl is so strong. And as the match went on, i am the one who grunts a lot while she is pretty quiet on the other side. We do have an indoor tennis club but its 40 min drive and $15 entrance is no go for me. Ohh, btw, the girl i mention used to play in high school team :mrgreen:
o see i thought u were going somewhere with the girl playin in a tshirt and in the cold hehe

Skppr05
12-02-2005, 08:15 AM
my friends and i shovel the courts and then play. good warmup before you play =]

Geezer Guy
12-02-2005, 08:25 AM
I hit with this girl and after warming up, she took off her sweater and just only a t-shirt left...

Sounds like it could be a bit distracting. But, I guess it has it's perks.

@wright
12-02-2005, 08:38 AM
I play as long as it's above 30F. If you are exerting yourself, you'll soon be down to short sleeves and shorts - the same thing you'd wear if it wasn't cold. I never feel cold once I get going.

ironchef21
12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
In high school (Ohio) I remember playing matches with snow flurries. After you get going the temperature isn't too bothersome. I actually think the wind is a bigger factor.

Dedans Penthouse
12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Suggestion:

If you insist on playing polar bear tennis, do your hands, wrists and shoulders a favor and play with strings tensions way, way lower than you normally do.

That is, if you must play in the cold, have your racquet "winterized" with much looser strings.

Better yet, play "paddle!" (Platform tennis)
www.paddlepro.com

Andy Hewitt
12-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Last year in December here in Chicago I waited for the snow to melt off the just one of the courts before me and my friend started hitting on them in cold *** weather. I'm not into tennis much anymore so I'll just wait for Spring.

safin_protege
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
My high school team starts tryouts in late winter, and it is extremely cold. I am never able to play in shorts and a t-shirt in below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, I have Raynaud's disease, which makes it almost impossible for me to hold a racquet at such low temperatures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_disease

Thomas Tung
12-03-2005, 08:40 AM
The coldest temperature I've ever played in is one year when it was -11 degrees Fahrenheit. A little story goes along with this:

It was high school, junior year for me, sometime in January. Pitch black outside, the local funeral home clock tells me it's -11 degrees Fahrenheit. I have smothered myself in Vaseline to keep my skin warm, and have 4-5 layers of clothing, including polypropylene thermal underwear. I'm the only person out on the street and the wind is howling. It's around 6pm at night.
I head over to the nearby paddleball/racquetball courts, which are lighted 24 hours a day; even the fanatical paddleball guys are not in sight. I proceed to play with full gear on; holding a racquet with heavily padded gloves gives you worse volleys than Roddick. So I volley against the wall.
Later on, unknown to me, my friend Bill passes by the courts in his car. He is astonished to see some nut hitting against the wall; even more crazy, he's taking off some of his layers! By now the wind is really picking up outside. Then he sees that it's me, shakes his head in utter disbelief, and enjoys his warm ride home. I end up hitting for 3 hours, covered with sweat, and feeling like I just went toe-to-toe with Thomas Muster. It's a good feeling.

And now he (and you) know how crazy I used to get for tennis. But having done college, and now working at a job, I no longer have the guts/desire? to do that. Even now I wonder how I could do that -- can't imagine going to play OUTDOORS in ANY negative degree temperature nowadays. It's indoor season for me!

Thomas Tung
12-03-2005, 08:46 AM
A few years back, I was playing tennis with my friend Abid in freezing temperatures; it was 29 degrees Fahrenheit; we both get warm, and Abid proceeds to play bare-chested, while I'm wearing my shirt and my shorts. We thought we were pretty tough, but later on that night the wind really picked up; even Abid had to put his shirt back on.
As we re-layered up, we saw this runner go past us bare-chested. Must've been on that runner's high. ;)

tnig469
12-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I honestly think you can play an anytype of weather as long as there is no freaking wind....rain,sleet, or snow never stopped the mailman did it?....but wind is a true *******

ShooterMcMarco
12-03-2005, 12:48 PM
The lowest temp I ever played in was 40 degrees. My hands were just freezing but once I started warming up they were fine.

AngeloDS
12-03-2005, 01:29 PM
My tennis team and I have access to indoor courts ^_^. So no need to worry about the cold.

I hate playing in the cold, I feel afraid I'll rip a muscle or tear something or have a serious injury.

The ball feels heavy and your strings feel stiff. It's hard to play. I haet that feeling, when the ball just doesn't "pop" off your strings.

Kaptain Karl
12-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Sounds like it could be a bit distracting. But, I guess it has it's perks.Nice pun.

- KK

Docalex007
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
I have been hitting tennis at night around 8 pm or even later and it is cold here where i live, but after the first 30 mins hitting to warm up my body is kinda adjusting to it and it doesnt feel that cold at all (i played the night before and temperature was 28 F of course without wind). My point is as long as its not windy, outdoor tennis is still possible even at 30ish Farenheit temperature. I breathe out smog also and its fun to get a match on.

So your breathing out pollutants now are ya?

Smog is air pollution (brownish) that is mostly ozone with nitrogen dioxide. Can be easily seen hovering over LA. What you breathed out was warm air that was instantly condensed into mist (water).

I thought about playing tonight with the temp being 40°F....I opted for the indoor courts instead. It cost but thats ok. I would rather play comfortable over slightly cold anyday. Me and cold do not get along at all!

arky-tennis
12-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Balls bounce enough for me above 25. The closest indoor is 2 hours. It isn't that bad playing if you move your feet and MOVE. The coldest I've played is 20.

GRANITECHIEF
12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Playing in Tahoe at nite, water tube on my camel back froze. Don't know how cold it was, but other than not being able to hydrate, it was no problem and very fun.

cbtennisdude
05-14-2007, 06:05 AM
I have played in a 45 mph head wind once. That was hard

abenguyen
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM

ha funny. at my school we have to practice in the morning and we're out there at temperatures around 32 F all the time. its pretty dang cold the first 10 or so minutes