PDA

View Full Version : Eastern forehand and Head racquets

bluecephas
05-30-2004, 01:35 PM
About 1-1/2 years ago I decided to abondon my extreme western forehand and switch to an eastern one. I'm now using an eastern FH but every so often I find myself holding the racquet more western. I haven't gotten over it yet 100%. I was wondering if it would make any difference if I used a racquet with grip that's flatter like Head or Volkl. Will this help cure my tendency to go back to western grip. Any pointers appreciated.

kreative
05-30-2004, 05:28 PM
it could make a difference since the head grips are more rectangular, helping to feel the different bevels of the racquet. it is different thou, so it may not feel right in your hand. if you like the racquet that you're using now, try adding some thin strips of balsa wood (very light) on 2 of the bevels, making them more distinct. someone i know also used some head tape layered on 2 bevels.

on another note, are you happy w/ your switch? what made you decide to do it, and how was the transition?

bluecephas
05-30-2004, 10:39 PM
I decided to switch because I was stuck at NTRP 3.0 - 3.5 and couldn't improved. I simply could not get under flat or sliced balls. Changing was torture. I tried switching immediately to eastern FH but could not do it. My western mechanics were just deep rooted. I finally was able to almost entirely forget my western swing by switching instead to a continental grip. I used continental for one whole year, and about six months ago was able to finally switch to eastern. It was a long process. That extreme western just messed me up. I'm very happy with my eastern. I can hit very flat, or put spin as needed. It's just far more resilient. I'm now 4.0 - 4.5, and even confident in hitting against 5.0's. I just have to work on greater consistency and just trying to finally rid my body's memory of the western grip and the body mechanics that went with it.

Datacipher
05-31-2004, 12:21 AM
About 1-1/2 years ago I decided to abondon my extreme western forehand and switch to an eastern one. I'm now using an eastern FH but every so often I find myself holding the racquet more western. I haven't gotten over it yet 100%. I was wondering if it would make any difference if I used a racquet with grip that's flatter like Head or Volkl. Will this help cure my tendency to go back to western grip. Any pointers appreciated.

I find the Head grip tends to make me want to go more Western, but that may just be me!

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your grip varying or changing if you can produce the shot you want, it is natural. Some players use 1 grip all the time, some change slightly depending on what they want to do. In fact varying grip works best if you don't make a conscious decision but do it subconsciously. Agassi as an example will vary his forehand grip slightly depending on the situation.

bluecephas
05-31-2004, 01:00 PM
That's a good point. It just worries me that I might slowly and unconsciously go back to the western grip because of muscle memory.

Steve Huff
05-31-2004, 02:39 PM
I find that Head-shaped grip tends to make me hold a more Eastern forehand grip. It's a great grip for serving and volleying, but not for the heavy topspin most guys hit today.

christian
05-31-2004, 03:14 PM
with a leather grip it is easier to feel edges.

Datacipher
05-31-2004, 10:30 PM
That's a good point. It just worries me that I might slowly and unconsciously go back to the western grip because of muscle memory.

Well that's understandable since you've put a lot of effort into changing. I cannot comment more without knowing more of your game anyways.

There is some research incidently which would suggest that if you were to use a new grip(or for that matter any tangible change) and you "grooved" the eastern with it, that you would tend to "permanently" establish that new swing with that racquet. Sometimes when a player goes back to say a racquet they had as a beginner when for example they hit flat, they automatically tend to fire the same neural program and hit like they did when they used that racquet.

Of course....in reality this theory is probably pretty tenuous and by itself probably not enough reason to suggest a racquet/grip change!

Hewittfan22
06-01-2004, 06:39 AM
i dont understand why u swithced to eastern from western, western is the best way to hit a forehand or at least semi....for sure

bluecephas
06-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I wanted to get under low balls--flat or sliced, which was very hard with my extreme western. I could do that now with my eastern. My swing feels more natural now. I don't have to go through an exagerated swinging/whipping motion just do get low balls.