PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard this old song of Elton's?

Klippy
12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
This is an old song of Elton John, from his album "Ice on Fire" (1985) Some of this eighties stuff is awesome! Its called This Town.

It's closing time the boys are all together at the bar
Staring in their glasses
Looks like another lay off at the yard

Yesterday I heard the union hall come down
They hit it with a wrecking ball
And they try but nothing changes in this town

Cap in hand stood in line
Your family ties are the chains that bind
The endless wheel goes round and round
Chances are you'll never leave this town

Like a river now the empty streets are flooded out with rain
Its falling on the playground
While kids get wet playing the same old games

Locked away so many things remind them of war
They tap the pavement with their canes
But the good old days and so good no more

Cap in hand stood in line
Your family ties are the chains that bind
The endless wheel goes round and round
Chances are you'll never leave this town

Anyone heard it? If so, what do you think? I could listen to it non stop :D

ProStaffTour90
12-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Nope, its not on his 3 disc greatest hits cd whch is all i've got of elton.

Might downlaod it though considering your review :D

dmastous
12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Elton John was much better and more diverse in the 70's. There were some pretty good songs in the 80's, my favorite being one called Madness on Simple Man. I thought Ice On Fire was a kind of weak effort.

nw tennis
12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
it's called This Town.

Good tune.

Dedans Penthouse
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Off-topic on an Elton John topic (sorry --sincerely, do not mean to "hi-jack" this thread..only to say that IF you like Elton):

Once upon a time, in a land called New York City, there is (was) an album recordd by Elton John entitled "11-17-70"

I think that was the title --- the title simply denoted the date of a live NYC studio concert a la "Elton Unplugged" that was sponsored by a (since defunct) NYC FM station WPLJ (95.5) where Elton and his bass/drummer gave a concert at the A&M studios in Manhattan.

elton john: piano & vocals
nigel olson and dee murray backing on bass and drums

This was recorded "live" in a studio in front of about 125 people...it contains elton john stipped down to his gospel/blues roots. The album beings with a rock solid/gospel version of the song "take me to the pilot" (wanna know if he could play?...check out the "vamping/noodling" bridge).

Killer version of "60 Years On" as well as a combo of Elton's "Burn Down the Mission" coupled with The Beatles' "Get Back" Get back!...awesome rockin' piano--the crowd eats it up--great "organic" live vibe. Works when played (in Spinal Tap parlance) at volume "11." :razz:

Elton...bare bones....stripped-down (you either got "chops" or you don't) b'lls-to-the-wall pounding .... no "dis" but this ain't Billy Joel, this is Elton in full Leon "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" Russell mode, i.e once upon a time....elton wasn't the rolly-polly chubster "Sir" Elton John you see today.

Elton (nee Reginald Dwight) could flat out POUND the "88's" and howl into a mike---belive it!. Very, very worth the purchase of admission. "Unplugged--circa-pre-MTV-unplugged" ...
very worth it...pls... check it out.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread :-)