PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Tension calibrator

jjvarona
05-30-2004, 03:27 PM
I just purchased one and I have no idea how to use it. Any help would be great, thanks

Gaines Hillix
05-31-2004, 06:05 AM
jj,assuming you have a machine with fixed clamps here is what you do. Set the tension head to pull 50 lbs. Rotate your turntable base so it is 90o opposed to the tension head. Then lock the turntable. Then lock the base of the clamp that is closet to your tension head. Now place the string on one end of the calibrator in the jaws of the clamp and lock it. You will probably have to adjust the clamp because the strings are very thick. Now put the strings on the other end of the gauge in the jaws of the gripper on the tension head and pull tension on it. There is a rule inside the gauge that will come out that is marked with lbs. on one side and kilos on the other. The reading is taken at the edge of the cylinder at the base of the ruler. Be aware that these work against a spring inside the cylinder. Over time the spring can weaken and the gauge needs to be reverified. This can be done using olympic weights or any verified weight of about 50 lbs. There is a fairly simple procedure to reset it, but I won't go into it here.

jjvarona
05-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the help Gaines

SW Stringer
06-01-2004, 08:03 AM
To calibrate your calibrator you need a verified weight. Olympic weights are by no means verified weights. A 25 lb "Olympic" weight can be anywhere between 23 and 25 lbs. Two of them put together to be your 50 lb reference could be 46 to 50 lbs. If you intend to use some kind of barbell weight, take them to a UPS office or post office and have them weighed, at least you know the scales at those places are precisely calibrated and regularly checked by the departments of Weights and Measures of your state. Or, go to Home Depot, Lowes, etc, and buy a bag of sand (the kind used to make concrete or mortar), the listed weight on the bag is verified by W&M's.