PDA

View Full Version : New racquet for serve and volleyer

MrHatchet87
05-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Just got back from my first year at college, and I'm looking to switch racquets, I'm currently using a Prince TT Vendetta OS, and, bottom line is that it's too powerful for me, I find myself either holding back too much, or sailing the ball too much, I need a racquet that I can hit through on without worrying so much about it sailing long.

I play at about the 4.0 level (self-rate), and I like to serve and volley, so I need good spin potential for my kick serve, as well as good volley characteristics. I have a two handed backhand, a semi-western forehand, and very fast feet. Basically, I'm looking for a good players racquet that is still very maneuverable. Right now, the Diablo MP looks very appealing to me. I got a chance to demo the PS Tour 95 at my local club, and I liked the way it felt, especially on volleys and slice, but it was strung a bit low for my tastes.

So, yeah, any recommendations? I'm already set on demoing the Diablo MP, but, looking for another stick to demo (not the PS Tour 95, since I can demo it locally). I'm going to put my order for the demos in this week, so, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Stitch626
05-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I think any one of the estusa's would be good. I haven't hit with the PBP or the PB, but I think the PBB is excellent. Or you could demo three of them or all three if you really wanted.

Coda
05-31-2004, 12:41 AM
I'd recommend the Tour 90. Don't know how heavy you want a racket, but this thing S&V's like no other.

Anonymous
05-31-2004, 12:36 PM
the slazenger pro braided henman is my racquet of choice for s & v. they dont sell it anymore and i havent tried the x1 yet. i also agree that the tour90 is an excellent choie but u better have fast hadns to move it around.
BUT............ if you have perfected your volleys i would suggest the original 6.0 85, that thing is amazing when you hit the sweet spot.

tennisfan21
05-31-2004, 01:08 PM
I'd go with the TT Warrior!!

1. Incredible flexibility
2. Its miraculous at the net
3. Works great for serving
4. Its great for spinners

dax_q
05-31-2004, 01:14 PM
I totally agree with tennisfan.

K!ck5w3rvE
05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
So do I...TT Warrior, and you can pick them up pretty cheap;y from TW Liquidation. I've got a friend who has used them for about 3 years and he has broken 2 of them on return-of-serves (they snapped in the throat) but Prince will replace them.

Steve Huff
06-01-2004, 04:44 AM
I would urge you to try the PK Laver Type S. It is a great volleying racket and it's fairly open string pattern lets you really get the spin. It's similar in feel to the old Slaz Pro Braided, but better.

netman
06-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Second the Slazenger PBH. It has some form of foam core that dampens shock better than the Lavers, IMHO. Great control and placement on serves and volleys and pretty good on groundstrokes if you tend to hit flat.

You can still pick them up at closeout prices right now and there are used ones available all the time.

Longshot
06-01-2004, 10:10 AM
I just went through a playtest of several low power frames (volkl C10, prince diablo, RDX 500, tour 95, & a couple others) and chose the Pro Kennex Core 1 No. 6. Now that I've had some time to settle in with it, it does have a great balance of feel, comfort and power that works great for S&V. I've seen where it's reported to be comparable to a PS 6.0 85 only more forgiving. Even though it doesn't seem to be very popular (not at all apparently), you might want to give it a try as well.

bcaz
06-01-2004, 10:41 PM
There are many excellent suggestions here. I would nominate the Estusa PBB, the Wilson PS 6.0 95, and the Volkl C-10 Pro. The PK Laver Type C (I never tried the S) is another good choice for S&V.

mitchgat
06-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Prince More Control and Warrior are nearly identical and both are good serve and volley rackets; two handed backhand will likely be slightly affected, but slice backhand will be a beautiful thing. Good luck.

fjgarciap
06-02-2004, 01:03 PM
If you s&v I adhere to the Pro Staff Tour 90 & Pro Staff 6.0 85 suggestion.

ragnaROK
06-02-2004, 01:13 PM
I'd suggest a PS 6.0 85, PS Tour 90, or maybe one of the PS nCodes that are coming out soon. I hear that Pro Braided that Henman uses is pretty good for S&V too.

MrHatchet87
06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Hmm, I suppose I should've said "all-court game with emphasis on net play, often serving and volleying," 'cuz I don't mean a pure s&v game, I still need strong baseline play, I just prefer to be at net, I just feel at home there.

Edit: and, thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely look into them.

Feņa14
06-02-2004, 01:33 PM
I hear that the ROK is great for S&V'ers.

-Liam

@wright
06-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Try the estusas. All 3 volley and groundstroke like a dream.