PDA

View Full Version : customizing question

Bach3387
05-30-2004, 06:40 PM
i use the wilson surge 5.1, and i am in the market for a new players stick with a little more weight, but it is gioing to take at least a month to get the demos i want, so in the mean time i thought i would add some lead tape to my racquet. i was wondering that if i want a more solid feel, i know to add tape at 3 and 9 but should i also add tape in the handle to maintain the balance? i would like to keep the racquet head light still, and maybe even make it more head light, so does any one know like a proportion for the amount of lead to add to the handle and at 3 and 9. i would like to add 3 grams of lead at both 3 and 9 and make the racquet 6 to 7 points head light. is this a good idea, and how much would i have to add to the handle to achieve this?
also, did any other surge users try to customize their raquet and what did you do?
in addition, when pros add lead to 3 and 9, do they also add lead in the handle or no?
please help and thanks

HeavyBall
05-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Many people often make the mistake you are considering. When looking at the most "solid" rackets on the market, two characteristics are almost always represented: Heavy and headlight. The Surge, at 11 oz and 5 pts HL, according to TW, doesn't quite cut it. Add weight in a 3 to 1 ratio. I would add, at the most, .2 ounces in the head, and .6 in the handle.

PHSTennis
05-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Check out Fischers they are quite nice... my pro used the Surge for a while then switched to Fischers few days ago... give it a try.

dennis1188
05-31-2004, 12:17 AM
the surge 5.1 is the lighter version of the pure drive mid. I own a pure drive and hv also played w/ the surge 5.1