PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Tacchini Racquets?

Deuce
05-31-2004, 12:11 AM
I saw a racquet the other day - a Sergio Tacchini racquet. It's the only one I've ever seen.

Judging strictly on its size and weight, I'd estimate that it was sold about 7 to 10 years ago.

Anyone know anything about Tacchini racquets? How many racquets had the Tacchini name on them? Who made the racquets for them?

Captain Haddock
05-31-2004, 11:45 AM
There were pictures of Tacchini racquets on the back of French Tennis Magazines in 1995-96. From what I recall, they were green and had a snowshoe shape and a wide beam (24 mm at least). No idea who made them, though. I don't think they were sold in the US. Tom Martinez?
"Tacchini" means "turkeys" in Italian... Not a promising name for a racquet. But I have a fondness for the Tacchini shirts Mac wore pre-Nike (78-84).

Kirko
05-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Sergio Tacchini was a Davis Cup player for Italy in the 60's.

Feña14
05-31-2004, 12:49 PM
Is this one of them?

http://cgi.****.co.uk/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20871&item=3679880 148&rd=1

Let me know.

-Liam

Captain Haddock
05-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Liam,
Yes, that's the shape I recall, with PWS-like bulges at the throat and on top. The model I saw was all green, though.

Feña14
05-31-2004, 03:24 PM
Are they rare?

It's only £9, I could buy it and see how it feels.

I could give you a review of a Tacchini racket if I win it.

-Liam

Deuce
05-31-2004, 09:44 PM
The one I saw had a regular round head, unlike the one on ****. The beam was rather wide, too.

Liam - they seem to be rare here in North America - but I don't know if that is the case overseas where you are. Even if it is rare, that doesn't automatically mean that it's valuable.

Simply for curiosity sake, it would be interesting to know about Tacchini racquets - where and when they were sold, how many models they had, and if another company made them for Tacchini. My guess is that it was simply something Tacchini played around with for a couple of years, and then stopped - although the text in the **** ad seems to indicate that they're current stock somewhere.