PDA

View Full Version : Which National Anthem?

bcsax123
12-05-2005, 07:30 PM
What National Anthem is better, the Canadian, or American (Star-Spangled Banner)?
My vote goes to Canadian. I love hockey almost as much as tennis.

Canadian:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

American(Star Spangled banner):

O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

arky-tennis
12-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Canada is better but turning more conseritive, no?

nViATi
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna vote USA because I live in the USA. You'd vote for the USA too if you lived there. If I was a Canadian then I would also vote for Canada. (My theory excludes crazy anti-government people who love to say bad things about the government)

;)

arky-tennis
12-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks, I like the wording of the CANADIAN anthem better... Is that not the basis of the thread or have I overshot the runway?

equinox
12-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Here's information about the Australian national anthem.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/nat_anthem.html

When i attended primary school. The whole school was forced to sing the national anthem at assembly time three times each week!

Funny thing is rarely remember ever singing the complete anthem.
We'd sing all the blue section, but rarely the red section.

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR
Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

FiveO
12-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Subjectively? Ours, as I'm sure everyone of any nationality would and should feel.

Musically? Objectively? I don't know of an Anthem which is a real toe-tapper and there are many renditions of the Star Spangled Banner that have been butchered by talented singers.

*Notable exception: 1991, Super Bowl XXV. Whitney Houston's rendition at that place, at that moment in history, almost defies description. Incredibly moving to an American.

doriancito
12-06-2005, 06:36 AM
BLAME CANADA, BLAME CANADA....(south aprk theme)

cadfael_tex
12-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I voted for America because I'm American. I agree that you should feel strongly about your own - isn't that what Anthems are for.
On an aside, during the Olypics watch the gold medal winners reaction to the anthem. I've always thought USA gets the most teary eyed but I'm biased.

oscar_2424
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
What National Anthem is better, the Canadian, or American (Star-Spangled Banner)?
My vote goes to Canadian. I love hockey almost as much as tennis.

Canadian:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

American(Star Spangled banner):

O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Another useless thread

Dedans Penthouse
12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Another useless thread
Amen.

"Jose, can you see?"

Mr.Federer
12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
BLAME CANADA, BLAME CANADA....(south aprk theme)

That was pathetic....the canadian anthem is the anthem in the world.

Ripper
12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Another useless thread

The word "useless" is ok, but it's more like "stupid".

tonyjh63
12-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Actually, I think it would be kinda weird if a Canadian chose the "Star Spangled Banner," or an American chose "O Canada." I think it's natural to choose one's own country's anthem over another. Kind of a strange poll.

Ripper
12-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Actually, I think it would be kinda weird if a Canadian chose the "Star Spangled Banner," or an American chose "O Canada." I think it's natural to choose one's own country's anthem over another. Kind of a strange poll.

Useless, strange and stupid.

spaceman_spiff
12-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Outside of the US national anthem, I must say that the one that impresses me a lot is the Portugese anthem. Keep in mind though that the only time I've ever heard it was during Euro 2004. Hearing 40,000--50,000 Portugese people singing it before each of their matches was quite impressive. That song seems to have been written with soccer in mind.

I guess the next best anthem to hear soccer fans sing is the French anthem. I heard that a few times during the World Cup in '98, and the home fans were pretty impressive there.

If you can get tapes of any of those matches (especially the final of Euro 2004), turn the volume way up and enjoy the singing.

Capt. Willie
12-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Here's information about the Australian national anthem.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/nat_anthem.html

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR sucks. WALTZING MATILDA is a far better song and should have been chosen as your anthem.

ProStaffTour90
12-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Alot of people in england are growing less fond of "God save the queen" we just don't like the subject of the song and would prefer one like australias which involves everyone and our culture, rather than a useless monarch.

I like scotlands and irelands

legolas
12-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Star Spangled Is A Better Anthem, and the people from america are better than candians

Dedans Penthouse
12-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Alot of people in england are growing less fond of "God save the queen"
Why?!!! "God Save the Queen" has some rip-roaring guitar; especially when they come out of the bridge into the final chorus....at that point, those guitars are roaring like rock and roll lions. Brits should be proud of that tune....what a beastly, glorious rock and roll punk mess!!!

"GODSAVETHEQUEEN!" Indeed!

When played at volume "11" ... chills. Result?: Speeding tickets!!!

One other thing: I noticed on the top of the page....people are actually VOTING on this??? whew... :roll:

K!ck5w3rvE
12-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Australia, f___ yeah!

Jonnyf
12-15-2005, 10:04 AM
UK _________ yeah so _________ my ________ and ___________ on my ______ UK ______ yeah lol j/k thats one of the best movies ever

Mr.Federer
12-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Star Spangled Is A Better Anthem, and the people from america are better than candians

no......

vkartikv
12-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Love the italian anthem (music-wise). It also signifies victory for michael schumacher and ferrari when I watch formula 1...

ProStaffTour90
12-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Love the italian anthem (music-wise). It also signifies victory for michael schumacher and ferrari when I watch formula 1...

exactly why it ****es me off. I virtually knew it off by heart after hearing it every other sunday! :lol:

Feņa14
12-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I think God Save the Queen should be replaces by Jerusalem, but apparently it's racist to suggest that Jerusalem was built in England's green and pleasant land, so that's been discarded.

Rule Brittania is another possibility, not a very good one mind.

nViATi
12-15-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure "legolas" and "Mr. Federer" do not represent the best of their respective countries. Oh god I hope i'm right.

vkartikv
12-15-2005, 08:08 PM
exactly why it ****es me off. I virtually knew it off by heart after hearing it every other sunday! :lol:

Unfortunately it was not to be heard often this year. I hope it makes a resurgence.... The canadian was good too, it used to come on back in '97 when villeneuve was winning..

Capt. Willie
12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Why?!!! "God Save the Queen" has some rip-roaring guitar; especially when they come out of the bridge into the final chorus....at that point, those guitars are roaring like rock and roll lions. Brits should be proud of that tune....what a beastly, glorious rock and roll punk mess!!!

"GODSAVETHEQUEEN!" Indeed!
Yeah, "God Save The Queen" rules!!! I wish we (USA) had a national anthem as cool as that.

God save the Queen
she ain't no human being.
There is no future
in England's dreaming

SageOfDeath
12-16-2005, 01:18 PM
To those users who are just saying how this thread is useless, stupid or whatever else negative, why waste your time reading it and then even more time replying to it? Useless it may be, but I rather have a forum full of useless posts than negative ones. Don't you agree? Lay off the anger or take it to the rants or raves.

Its pretty much logical to vote for one's own country, but honestly I have never heard the Canadian anthem, I can see the words, which are beautiful, but without the music, how can anyone really vote?

Mr.Federer
12-16-2005, 05:08 PM
To those users who are just saying how this thread is useless, stupid or whatever else negative, why waste your time reading it and then even more time replying to it? Useless it may be, but I rather have a forum full of useless posts than negative ones. Don't you agree? Lay off the anger or take it to the rants or raves.

Its pretty much logical to vote for one's own country, but honestly I have never heard the Canadian anthem, I can see the words, which are beautiful, but without the music, how can anyone really vote?

well, here's a link for the instrumentals of the canadian national anthem...http://www.singforcanada.ca/anthem.html

well I'm searching everywhere for a version of somebody singing it...can't find any...

cadfael_tex
12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while but sheesh.
And people wonder why wars start?

SageOfDeath
12-16-2005, 11:03 PM
well, here's a link for the instrumentals of the canadian national anthem...http://www.singforcanada.ca/anthem.html

well I'm searching everywhere for a version of somebody singing it...can't find any...

Thank you. The beginning is familiar, maybe I have heard it before somewhere.

Klippy
12-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Equinox, I also live in Australia! WE had to sing the Aussie anthem in primary school all the time too. hehe :D

Klippy
12-17-2005, 10:04 PM
OOOH I love former Yugoslavia's anthem! It has beautiful music :)

Klippy
12-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Austria's and Germany's anthems have nice music too. :D