PDA

View Full Version : If you buy stocks..

Lee
12-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I would recommend looking into ticker symbol "ANF" Abercrombie & Fitch

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ANF&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

The price just went down for a little bit and it's a great time to buy right now. As an ex-employee, I know the busiest time of the year is from December 16 to December 27 and I know the stocks will go up because the company is going to generate a lot of revenues. I just longed 20 shares yesterday and hopefully I can make a nice return by the end of the month...

ChicagoJack
12-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi Lee -

Not to sound critical, but unsolicited stock "tips" are sort of frowned upon... even in the investing forums that I regularly visit. Leaves the reader wondering what your angle is. I'm assuming you feel like you've got something good and are simply motivated by generosity, I've been there myself.

Having said that, inexperienced investors would be wise to shy away from owning just one single stock, and would be better served, generally speaking with a no-load, low cost mutual fund, with a good long term record so's they can get things spread out a bit more.

Experienced investors probably have more opportunities cooking than they have money to fund those opps-- or are already happy with what they have currently have.

Take care, and good luck with ANF
-Jack

Lee
12-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I just made $20 today, thank you Abercrombie I can buy a pair of Boxers now

GRANITECHIEF
12-06-2005, 01:42 PM
I just made $20 today, thank you Abercrombie I can buy a pair of Boxers now

Assuming that you aren't just trolling, is that actual liquid cash or just an unrealized paper gain. If you sold (which you would have had to do to make the $20), didn't your brokerage fees take a little bite out of that?

Richie Rich
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
financials look good. no debt, cash on hand, 92% institutional ownership, nice revenue growth, good return on equity, and pays a decent dividend (for a retailer anyway). too bad can't see free cash flows to get a better idea. forward P/E of 15 looks attractive too.

however, i don't think i'd be holding too many retail stocks at the moment - interest rates going up, energy prices going up, less money for people to spend on clothes, etc and add that the "hot" retailers today can be the "uncool" places to shop next year so you have to be careful.

i'd keep an eye on it. maybe pick it up when everyone is in a selling mood.

Lee
12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Granite Chief: yeah it is an unrealized gain and I did not sell it.... it ended up closing at $61.61. I am going to wait until the end of this month to short them

Lee
12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
financials look good. no debt, cash on hand, 92% institutional ownership, nice revenue growth, good return on equity, and pays a decent dividend (for a retailer anyway). too bad can't see free cash flows to get a better idea. forward P/E of 15 looks attractive too.

however, i don't think i'd be holding too many retail stocks at the moment - interest rates going up, energy prices going up, less money for people to spend on clothes, etc and add that the "hot" retailers today can be the "uncool" places to shop next year so you have to be careful.

i'd keep an eye on it. maybe pick it up when everyone is in a selling mood.

nice analysis, are you in the financial industry?

Also, although the interest rates are going up, keep in mind that A&F's brand loyalty will be there nevertheless, the rich preppy kids get their money from their parents so consumption should not be affected by interest rates.... at least not Abercrombie in my opinion.... maybe American Eagle, which is a total ripoff of Abercrombie :)

bigserving
12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
The price that stocks are traded at any given time include price projection for the reasonable future. ANF price reflect expected sales for at least the next quarter if not the next year.

Buying and selling stocks for the short run is fun. But is not a prudent investment strategy for most investors. Diversification and long term planning is the way to go for the long run.

As mentioned above, Mutual Funds offer diversification and professional management for long term gains.

Richie Rich
12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
nice analysis, are you in the financial industry?

yup, but i don't focus on retail stocks. mainly financials (banks, insurance co's, etc)