PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Quantum Tour 10

saf
12-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Can anyone who has played with this racquet tell me how they feel about this racquet. Strengths and weaknesses. Could you compare it to some other racquets?

Thanks...

NoBadMojo
12-07-2005, 07:17 AM
demanding frames. there were two versions of this frame. one with regular bumper and the other with p-rap bumper/grommets. the later was more substantial. both have smaller sweetspots for their headsize (kinda like some of the fischer frames). if you can find the demanding sweetspot it gives you a realy nice hit. out of the swetspot can be a bit rough. typically Volkl, good at all the shots if the person has the abilities to make the frame work

saf
12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks! I have a friend that has 3 in excellent condition. I leaded them for him a while back to change the balance slightly (more headlight) and to take the weight up just over 12 oz. He recently switched racquets. I thought I would keep his Quantum 10's around to mess around with them and use them as a back up for the DNX 10 until I get more.

Thanks again!!!

Go Tennis
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
In the begining of 2003, Volkl changes the weight of the Quantum 10 Tour from 310g unstrung to 320g unstrung - change show in the german site and in the folder that comes with the racket. I demo the new version and I liked very much. I play with the heavier Quantum 10 Tour for about 1 year and half, until I decide to come back to a open string pattern, like my old (and warrior) PS Classic 6.1.

Go Tennis
12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
I forgot to say that the another version was called only Quantum 10 (there isn't Tour in the name), with 27,5 long and very light, something like 290g unstrung.

ChicagoJack
12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi Saf- The evolution of the different versions is a bit confusing.

1. First there was the Original Quantum 10, first appearing in the US in 1999. It was-

100sq.
16x19
23 mm Cross Section
SW 315
27.5 long
Yellow with Black accents

[..]....................

2. Then came the Quantum 10 Power R.A.P version, for a while, the Volkl Web site had both versions listed, but by July of 2002 only the Power R.A.P version was being listed. The Quantum 10 Power R.A.P was-

100 sq.
16x19
10.5 unstrung
1 in head light
23 mm Cross Section
27.6 long
Yellow w black accents

Both versions of the 100 sq and 23 mm thick Quantum 10's played with a ton more power than the 20 mm tour version, you really had to work hard to keep the ball from flying on you with those. I prefered the more refined feeling Quantum V1 Mp to both of those (non tour) models, no contest in my opinion for a tweener frame.

[..].................................

3. Then there was a completely different racquet called the Quantum 10 Tour which was introduced in 2000. This was a true players frame, unlike the non tour versions listed above which were LW tweeners. Much thinner, smaller head, and 18 x 20 pattern. The only thing similar with the two non tour versions were the mostly yellow color scheme. This is the frame that Jonny Mac played with on the senior tour for a few years. This model remained unchanged until retirement, which happened with the introduction of the mostly all black and heavier Volkl Tour 10 (mid and mp) These (now known as Gen 1) were whole new frames yet again -- and Volkl made the whole issue even more confusing historically by switching the placement of the "10" in the racquet name.

The Quantum 10 Tour was:
18x20
20 mm cross section
98 Sq
10.9 Unstrung
SW 310
1.1 inch HL
Had bumper guards which wrapped all the way around.
Yellow with Silver and Black accents

"Volkl also made a heavier (+10g) Quantum 10 Tour in 2003 - same racket, with same yellow color and same string pattern (18x20)"
--Go Tennis

Having played with the Q10 tour for a few years, I can compare it to a few current models. Less power than the LM Prestige, much less than the Volkl Gen II, or C10. The frame most similar to in terms of power would be the VE Mid, But very dif in terms of impact feel. The Q10 tour was manufactured at a time when most makers were using titanium, this frame has a bit of it-- and as mojo has mentioned, thus plays a bit harsher on the edges of the sweetspot. The frame filled a nice spot in the Volkl line, offering a much lower weight control oriented alternative to the C-10. I switched to the heavier, and flexier feeling LM prestige because I felt I got a more even response from the string bed and slt larger sweetspot with the Prestige-- and larger still with the Volkl Tour 10 GenII. Fans of the Q-10 Tour mention the easy swing weight, and great control. Players looking to switch from this frame will typically mention the tight string pattern, and difficulty in hitting a deep heavy ball.

Best regards
-Jack

Go Tennis
12-08-2005, 02:02 AM
ChicagoJack, sorry but you made a mistake. Volkl made a heavier (+10g) Quantum 10 Tour in 2003 - same racket, with same yellow color and same string pattern (18x20) - as Babolat change the weight of the Pure Control from 330g to 320g unstrung. Volkl made also a FULL LINE of rackets called "Tour" in another collor, mostly black, like Tour 5, Tour 7, Tour 8, Tour 9 and Tour 10 Mid and MP - now called Gen1 in this board, first by the Volkl master NoBadMojo. Inside the throat of the Tour 10, and I think also in all the line, there is a observation like "Quantum Performance" among others observations as well, like pounds to stringing. In the same way, you can find inside the throat of the Head LM Prestige a observation like "Intelligence Technology". Compadre, there wasn't a racket called Quantum Tour 10 in Mid and MP(?!). Tour 10 is Tour 10 Gen1 in Mid and Mid Plus and belongs to a full line of rackets. I play now with the Tour 10 MP Gen1 and is a amazig stick and it has the same feeling of my heavier 2003 Quantum 10 Tour because of the titanium. Just to know, Volkl made a Quantum 10 Tour with less strings for Mac.

saf
12-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Very interesting guys! Thansk for the info. The Quantum 10 Tour I have is 18x20 and 20mm. I have them leaded to 12.4. Almost Identical to the DNX 10, however, slightly more headlight. I'll see how it plays tonight.

The summer before last I was in a tournament final that my buddy and I had traveled to. It was a hot and muggy weekend and I had gone through all 4 of my PPRTi's string jobs. To make a long story short, I picked up his Quantum 10 Tours and felt like I probably played steadier tennis. This is why I want to give this racquet a shot again. I think it will be interesting to see how it compares to the DNX 10 that I've played with the last 2 months. I'll be surpised if it is as stable. But it will be fun to see how they compare.

Thanks again!!!

ChicagoJack
12-08-2005, 05:04 AM
ChicagoJack, sorry but you made a mistake. Volkl made a heavier (+10g) Quantum 10 Tour in 2003 - same racket, with same yellow color and same string pattern (18x20) - as Babolat change the weight of the Pure Control from 330g to 320g unstrung.
I stand corrected then, I'll take your word for it, thanks fer setting me straight on this slight tweak.

Volkl made also a FULL LINE of rackets called "Tour" in another collor, mostly black, like Tour 5, Tour 7, Tour 8, Tour 9 and Tour 10 Mid and MP - now called Gen1 in this board, first by the Volkl master NoBadMojo. Inside the throat of the Tour 10, and I think also in all the line, there is a observation like "Quantum Performance" among others observations as well, like pounds to stringing. In the same way, you can find inside the throat of the Head LM Prestige a observation like "Intelligence Technology".

Yes this is correct. I have a couple of those frames, I did not say otherwise.

Compadre, there wasn't a racket called Quantum Tour 10 in Mid and MP(?!). Tour 10 is Tour 10 Gen1 in Mid and Mid Plus and belongs to a full line of rackets. I play now with the Tour 10 MP Gen1 and is a amazig stick and it has the same feeling of my heavier 2003 Quantum 10 Tour because of the titanium. Just to know, Volkl made a Quantum 10 Tour with less strings for Mac.

Correct, the black frame now called the G1 did not have the word quantum in the name, even though it did have the word quantum on the frame . There were both mid and mp versions of this one. Yes, you could view it as an extension of the mostly black tour line, but the G1 hit the streets about the same time the Q10 Tour was being phased out, which is why I was verbalzing it as the Q10 tour's replacement.

Thanks Go tennis, take care
-Jack

NoBadMojo
12-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Racquet companies change graphics and specs quite frequently at times and it is very hard to keep track of. The earlier gen1's did have the word 'Quantum' in large letters on the lower hoop as well as 'Quantum engineering' inside the throat..the Quantum designation was replaced with the word 'Tour' so I guess you could say this frame (Tour10MP Gen1) at one time would also be a Quantum Tour10. The regular Quantum Tours were just tweaks and variations on a theme I think..length was changed and the bumpers were canged to P-Raps which changed the specs. In any case, many people are not fans of the 'Quantum' series..they were never my favorite as the 10series ones were very demanding, and they had a very tinny feel if you did even a slight mis-hit.

Go Tennis
12-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Best regards, ChicagoJack.

ChicagoJack
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Back 'atcha, Go Tennis ;)