PDA

View Full Version : AntiVirus and Spyware....

TripleB
12-07-2005, 05:22 AM
I hadn't really planned on putting another computer question up on the TW boards but everyone here seemed so knowledgable about computers on my last two posts it actually seemed like a logical place to turn.

Now that I've purchased a computer, I really want to get an AntiVirus program and a SpyWare Protection program on it ASAP. I think a virus was the downfall of my 5 year old Dell that died over the weekend.

The only one I'd ever heard of before looking at some reviews was Norton. After looking at some reviews it seems like there are several out there better than Norton that protect against both Virus and Spyware: PC-cillin Internet Security 2006, Panda Software Platinum Internet Security 2006, and BitDefender 9 Internet Security seem to be leadin the pack.

What program(s) would you recommend as the most effective at eliminating, and protection against, Viruses and SpyWare?

Thanks for your help.

TripleB

Nuke
12-07-2005, 05:30 AM
A good, free, antivirus program is AVG. Get it from http://free.grisoft.com.

For spyware/adware, no one program gets it all; you probably need a few of them. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Antispyware, and Pest Patrol. All are available free. Just google for them.

nViATi
12-07-2005, 06:07 AM
virus : norton or mcafee
antispyware - lavasoft adaware, microsoft antispyware, spybot search & destroy
(get all 3 antispyware programs,update, and run them occasionally and your computer will be free of spyware. in addition, get mozilla firefox. it's a lot more secure and you'll get a lot less spyware and virii compared to internet explorer)

equinox
12-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Nod32 http://www.nod32.com and AVP kaspersky antivirus www.kaspersky.com are considered decent by most virus traders.

Mcafee, Norton are bloated software.

Look any new computer sold is likely have sp2 installed, autoupdates, firewall turn on by default. Make sure if you have broadband to use a firewall/nat router not direct connection.

Ditch IE and outlook. Download firefox and thunderbird replacements.

Check out www.sans.org security page regularly, especially there Windows XP survival guide http://isc.sans.org/survivalhistory.php .

Most non-firewalled unpatched machines are infected within 20 minutes. Right now you're probably vulnerable to an unpatched 0day IE exploit.

One thing and a computer is not a toaster appliance! don't treat it as such.

armand
12-07-2005, 08:21 AM
I use avast! anti-virus by Alwil. It's free and it seems to be as good as Norton. I'm no expert though.
I also use SpySubtract, Ad-Aware and Zone Alarm Firewall

cadfael_tex
12-07-2005, 08:26 AM
A good, free, antivirus program is AVG. Get it from http://free.grisoft.com.

For spyware/adware, no one program gets it all; you probably need a few of them. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Antispyware, and Pest Patrol. All are available free. Just google for them.

AVG is better than both McAfee and Norton and it is free.
ZoneAlarm is the best firewall and it too is free.
Spyware, IMHO, is the biggest threat right now and the best program for that isn't free. It is Spysweeper and it's like $25.

scotus
12-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I use ad-aware and spybot for spyware, mcafee for virus, and kerio for firewall.

Spyware is annoying, but I'm not sure if ad-aware is doing anything really. Every week I get rid of twenty-some cookies, only to get the same ones back. Then in what ways do they constitute a "critical" threat? And what protection am I really getting?

cadfael_tex
12-07-2005, 08:42 AM
With spyware, the none of the free versions (and I'd like to be proven wrong on this one ) offer real time protection. They just clean up the mess that you get in normal surfing. That's why I recommend paying for Spysweeper (www.webroot.com).

scotus
12-07-2005, 09:27 AM
How good is Microsoft Window's built-in firewall? Is it as good as Kerio or others that you would have to purchase separately?

cadfael_tex
12-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Microsoft's firewall is better than none, barely. I've never tried Kerio. Norton (that my Mother in law uses) is a pain in the backside to use IMO. ZoneAlarm is easy to use, not intrusive, and did I mention Free. It learns what sites are ok to let through.

FedererUberAlles
12-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Just don't be an idiot and download suspicious things. The best virus/spyware preventer is your mind.

scotus
12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Just don't be an idiot and download suspicious things. The best virus/spyware preventer is your mind.

No, you don't have to be an idiot to get spyware on your computer. You can get spyware just by surfing the net. You don't need to download anything. You ought to run an anti-spyware program on your computer. You will be surprised at how many of these little cookies have latched on to your system.

cadfael_tex
12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
No, you don't have to be an idiot to get spyware on your computer. You can get spyware just by surfing the net. You don't need to download anything. You ought to run an anti-spyware program on your computer. You will be surprised at how many of these little cookies have latched on to your system.

Amen. BTW, Sesame Street seems to be on of the worst offenders. Darned Elmo!!!!

FedererUberAlles
12-07-2005, 03:52 PM

You obviously know nothing about computers. Unless you are using IE and letting all cookies be accepted, you are probably not going to get any cookies. Essentially, by having cookies, you downloaded them. Cookies don't do much in regards to spyware in comparison to say....a bigg app that edits the registry and system files. I run a Windows computer downstairs (it's for my family, as they couldn't use linux for their LIVES). Only the default firewall, no anti-spyware or anti-virus, and it hasn't been infected in six months since the last reinstall.

TripleB
12-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on the following:

Norton System Works
McAfee Virus Scan 2006
Norton Internet Security 2006
eTrust Internet Security Suite
eTrust EZ Anti Virus

My sister's is hounding me about what she should get me for Christmas. I can't think of much I need: AntiVirus/Anti Spyware software, maybe a new Scanner, ????

Thanks for any advice.

TripleB

fishuuuuu
12-08-2005, 03:58 AM
You obviously know nothing about computers. Unless you are using IE and letting all cookies be accepted, you are probably not going to get any cookies. Essentially, by having cookies, you downloaded them. Cookies don't do much in regards to spyware in comparison to say....a bigg app that edits the registry and system files. I run a Windows computer downstairs (it's for my family, as they couldn't use linux for their LIVES). Only the default firewall, no anti-spyware or anti-virus, and it hasn't been infected in six months since the last reinstall.

Running around and making the kids feel bad again Alles? For shame. :p

Again, obviously you need to calm down =)

Before I used FF, I got cookies by just 'surfing around.'

cadfael_tex
12-08-2005, 05:21 AM
I wouldn't get Norton for sure and McAfee is questionable. I'd go with one of the free ones recommended here and let you sister get you Spysweeper or maybe a scarf :)

scotus
12-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Running around and making the kids feel bad again Alles? For shame. :p

Again, obviously you need to calm down =)

Before I used FF, I got cookies by just 'surfing around.'

Thanks for coming to my defense, fishuuuu. But it's quite all right. I don't let comments on the forum bother me at all. Federerueberalles was probably just having a bad day.

rilokiley
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
--Virus scan--
AVG free is decent-- its thorough scan is relative quick and you can schedule virus scan.
Nod32-- alright IMO. 30 day try version then you need to buy. found some stuff AVG couldn't but they weren't a big problem at all.
avast-- real time scan; frequent update. no scan schedule
--firewall--
sygate-- from what i know this is the only freeware that checks incoming and outgoing traffic. been using for about a year, no problem whatsoever.
--spyware and all other crap--
Like someone already said, no one program gets it all. lavasoft, MS antivirus, spybot, spyblaster are some of popular ones.

and I also try to delete cookies everyday.
I'm definitely not the most computer-savvy guy on the block; just read a lot of computer/virus related stuff. But I believe that free stuff should be as good as those 100 dollar programs at Best Buy. I mean ppl like to test out several virus scanners before the purchase, and one was significantly better than the other no one would buy the latter. ya know

armand
12-08-2005, 10:54 PM
avast-- real time scan; frequent update. no scan scheduleI use avast! and you can schedule a boot time scan, is that the same thing? What's the point of a schedule and/or boot scan anyway?

rilokiley
12-08-2005, 11:13 PM
for the boot time scan you need to turn your computer off, though.
I like to schedule virus scans at like 5 AM when I'm not on the computer 'cause they eat up computer's resource. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of. heh

Yours!05
12-09-2005, 12:20 AM
When you choose an antivirus ( I like EZ - always finds those extra things and is very resource-friendly, tho I'm using ZA Security Suite at present) it's a good idea to do regular scans with Trend Micro Housecall, McAfee Free, Panda etc. - all free, to pick up what your main AV misses.
I also use MS AntiSpyware, and Ad-Aware. Had to uninstall Spybot as it wasn't playing nicely. A good idea to install only one "security" prog at a time, and set that Restore Point, as they can clash. Zone Alarm Free firewall can be hard to get rid of too.