PDA

View Full Version : NTRP Rating - Officail or Self Rating

Tchocky
12-07-2005, 07:16 AM
How many of you have been officially rated?

Cruzer
12-07-2005, 03:18 PM
How many of you have been officially ranked?

Are you asking who has a USTA NTRP RATING or who has been RANKED in regard to tournament play? They are two different things.

Z-Man
12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
If you play league tennis, you'll get a computer rating or a benchmark rating based on your results.

andfor
12-08-2005, 05:34 AM
NTRP Rated yes. NTRP Ranked no.

simon
12-08-2005, 05:48 AM
NTRP computer rating here.

tennis-n-sc
12-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Both here.

Mr.Federer
12-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Tennis-n-sc your town name is so cool, if it's true.

roddick_rulz
12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
getting actually evaluated for no meaning is just a waste of court time. JUst self rate

tennis-n-sc
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Mr. Federer, it is true. We are a very close suburb of Greenville, SC.

RiosTheGenius
12-08-2005, 05:02 PM
just self rate. the levels are very clear and it is very obvious where you're at.

don't need anyone to tell you that 'you have a consistant serve but still working on placement' do you?????

equinox
12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
No NTRP in Australia.
I just go by the ITN conversion charts. http://www.itftennis.com/itn/
I'm competitive with players upto ITN 4 standard.
Regularly beaten players of ITN 5-6 standard.

Puts me about 4.5 NTRP standard. High intermediate but not quite advanced.

Just checking the latest chart and some ITN grades been upgraded .5 NTRP point.
ITN4 = 5.0 NTRP
ITN5 = 4.5 NTRP
ITN6 = 4.0 NTRP
ITN7 = 3.5 NTRP

Most coaches are ITN4 or better.

A few of the players i squaded with in juniors are now ITN2-3.

cak
12-09-2005, 06:57 AM
As others have pointed out NTRP is only in the US. Other countries have other rating systems.

getting actually evaluated for no meaning is just a waste of court time. JUst self rate

In the US you no longer can get evaluated to receive a NTRP. To have a real NTRP rating you need to self rate(guess), play a season, and then get the rating.

I think this is the disconnect on the questions about "what level is this?" In the US the guidelines are for the first guess self rating thing. You guess about where you fit, play against others who are officially rated at that level to see if you guessed right, self rate on the computer, and sign up for tournies or leagues. At the end of the year you get a rating, but the rating may or may not (mostly not) reflect the guidelines. There are folks at fairly high levels with strokes that, to be charitable, are extremely unorthodox. There are many, many new players with perfect strokes but no experience that start in the lower levels, and get bumped as they improve consistency and court smarts. So NTRP ratings do not reflect technique as much as they reflect on who you can play evenly against.

In other countries I believe you can get evaluated and get ITN or similar ratings without ever playing a match. Those ratings would reflect technique.

rlamb101
04-07-2010, 02:18 PM
The NTRP rating system was a very good idea but it has grown into a two headed monster. Probably 35% of the 3.5 to 4.5 male players are playing down to enhance their results in league. I watched part of match last summer with two 4.0 (over 30) players and it almost came down to swings. One player had 8 aces in the short time I watched and a very solid ground and net game. But he was playing in a category that describes serving as "occasionally force errors when serving". Anyway, the guy that lost 1 & 1, called him a cheater and a coward for playing down and it escalated quickly...in front of a bunch of kids. :shock:

The ITN system would define a players technical ability via consistency, accuracy and power. All three categories define "control" elements of a tennis match. Keep in mind that drop shots, lobs, angled volleys and overheads are not a part of the rating criteria. So...its not perfect. However, it would not let a guy who scored much higher technically enter tourneys against guys with far fewer skills.

In my opinion, tennis is much more rewarding when the players are competing with similar technical proficiency. If that one guys was simply be handled because of his lack of tactical awareness...then that is fine. But he was getting owned by someone with vastly superior technical skills and power. And, based on what I saw, he was honestly assessing his skills as a 4.0 player.