PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new TV

ironchef21
12-08-2005, 06:04 AM
So I am going to take advantage of my Christmas bonus and I would like to buy a new television.

My current TV is so old you have to go up to it to turn it on so I'm definitely clueless when it comes to all the new technology.

Went to some stores and felt like a caveman in there with all the new terminology, etc. The positive is that whatever I get will be so much better than what I currently have.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions as far as brands, what to look for, etc. I'm thinking flat screen or flat panel, in the 27 to 36 inch range. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanks!

SunDog
12-08-2005, 07:00 AM
I just bought a 62" Toshiba DLP - 62MX195 from their Cinema Series. They make a complete line of sizes. It is their top of the line series.

I got if from 6th Avenue electronics out of NJ. Total price was like 2,999 and that included shipping to TN. Everywhere else was $3,999 plus shipping. Ordered it on Thursday - delivered on Tuesday. One hell of a deal on a great TV. HD is unbelievable and DLP technology is very nice.

Mr.Federer
12-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Holy S*** 62 inches!!!!!

dmastous
12-08-2005, 07:31 AM
You picked a bad time to buy a new TV. The Gov't is mandating digital TV as the standard in a few years. All networks will have to broadcast in ditgital, so you have to get a TV that can handle that. HD is all the rage, but it's hugely expensive. In a few years HD and digital will be affordable. That will be the time to buy a new TV.
I think you should get a normal cheap TV and wait for these $2000 anamorphic HD TVs to come down to $400 and $500. That's what I'm doing.

Nuke
12-08-2005, 07:51 AM
I agree with dmastoius. The newer sets are way too expensive, and I'm not forking over a bundle of money while the industry is in such flux.

The upside is that traditional CTR TV's are dirt cheap now. You can grab a 27 inch set now at Wallyworld for under a hundred dollars, which ought to hold you over until the flat screens come down a bit.

doriancito
12-09-2005, 11:12 AM
buy a LCD sony, those they have in banks for waiting

Yours!05
12-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I am "waiting" for things to shake out. Check out the biggest Toshiba CRT you can afford, widescreen preferred. Our PAL is sharper than your NTSC system so this might not apply, but Toshiba looks better to me than the German premium brands we can get - edges out even Sony.

Ash_Smith
12-10-2005, 07:48 AM
I'd second that, I bought a Toshiba 27" LCD and it kicks arse over sets at twice the price, picture quality is awesome (tho' it is hooked up to Sky digital). If you go LCD or Plasma get one with DVB built in and then you wont have to worry about the big analogue switch off.

Return_Ace
12-10-2005, 08:22 AM
here's the run down:

Even if the TV says it is hi-def ready, it may still not actually be compatible, to get a real hi def ready TV you need:
a) an DHCP-compliant DVI port or an HDMI port.
b) something that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (i think that's it, def. the 1080 part), most of the TVs that state they are Hi-Def ready only support the upcoming 1280 x 720 (aka 720p) format, and although this is actually hi-def it's nothing compared to the 1080i and 1080p formats coming out later.

Also other things to take into consideration, LCD is generally better than plasma since it gives better contrast and lasts longer. However LCD costs a lot more for the same size screen than a plasma. DLP is also very good, it gives more screen for the same price but can be a little more bulky than LCDs and Plasmas. Dlp is basically Projectors in TV, not like rear projection which is crap, but actual projection inside the TV.

Anyways, that's most of what i know bout TV's thanx you for your time..