PDA

View Full Version : Butt cap making weird sound

!<-_->!
05-31-2004, 02:32 PM
On one of my Head PT 280s, the butt cap is making this weird sound. It sounds like a hinge that needs to be oiled. I removed the grip, but the cap does not seem to be loose. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this weird sound?

Thanks

ragnaROK
05-31-2004, 05:49 PM
might be some loose graphite in the frame itself. take off the cap and shake it out.

!<-_->!
05-31-2004, 09:59 PM
No, I'm pretty sure it's the butt cap. When I shake the racquet there is no sound, but if I try to twist the butt cap, there's a weird creaking sound. Therefore, I concluded that it was the butt cap. But who knows, maybe it is broken graphite.

Steve Huff
06-01-2004, 03:46 AM
It's probably just the staples squeaking up against the plastic. Add a couple of drops of superglue to the top of the staples and see if that does the trick. If not, you may have a crack in the butt cap, which would need to be replaced.

python
06-01-2004, 05:17 AM
Head racquets are notorious for this problem, especially with the remakes like the PT 280. I fixed it once by packing the bottom of the buttcap with cotton and silicone caulk and then stapling the butt cap back on. Essentially, the buttcap if not broken, is too large for the handle so it makes the noise as it twists.

hofertennis
06-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Does this Head racquet have a plastic handle? Head and Dunlop along with many others have a plastic pallet that goes over the graphite frame. Underneath the handle the frame is twisting causing sounds like "creaking". There is no cure unless you have an expert take the handle apart and add some kind of filler like hot glue to eliminate the noise. Many companies also put lead weights under their pallets to make the frame heavier. This weights can loosen and make sounds also. I have had some good success at taking these handles apart and stopping the "creaking", so make sure you can find someone who knows what they're doing.