PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight?!?

christian
05-31-2004, 03:52 PM
I was looking at the Rok which has a swingweight of 323 n the tour 95 which has a swingweight of 325. This puzzles me bc the rok is heavier, less headlight and they both have the same length which means the Rok should have a heavier swingweight.

Coda
05-31-2004, 06:28 PM
those stats don't tell the whole story. If you had two identical weight, head light rackets and you took 6 grams and put it on the 12 o'clock position of one and put 6 grams at 3 and 6 at 9 on the other, the one with the 6 grams at 12 will swing heavier. Someone else would be able to help you with the physics there...I'm taking physics next year if you want to wait!

christian
06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
that really didn't answer it because you are changing the balance with the lead. I was talking about the raquets being stock.

wao
06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
christian,
The ROK is 5pts HL and the tour 95 is 7pts hl. The ROK should feel heaver since there is more weight in the head.
Wayne

Stitch626
06-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Wao thats what he is trying to say. He says the SW of the ROK should be more than the Tour 95 but according to specs it isn't.

wao
06-01-2004, 01:30 PM
Stitch626,
My bad. That is what he was saying.

gregraven
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
I was looking at the Rok which has a swingweight of 323 n the tour 95 which has a swingweight of 325. This puzzles me bc the rok is heavier, less headlight and they both have the same length which means the Rok should have a heavier swingweight.
I've got the ROK at a swing weight of 329, but there are a couple of other factors to keep in mind, those being handle size and string weight, both of which can change, and make a difference in the RDC reading. IMHO, the best way to look at these specifications is as a way to get yourself into the ballpark of what you are seeking in a racquet. From there, you just have to playtest -- even if the specs for the ROK and the Tour 90 were identical, they would still play MUCH differently from each other.

sandro
06-03-2004, 12:38 AM
The swingweight can be different because of the difference in mass distribution.
Look at this example: you have two identical bars; you cut 2 small pieces from one in the center, and put these pieces at the two opposite edges: now you have two bars with same weight, same balance (in the middle), but different swingweights. That's it. hope my poor english is clear enough...

Gaines Hillix
06-03-2004, 06:55 PM
sandro nailed it. It all depends on how the weight is distributed. Two racquets can have identical static weights and balance points and have different swing weights. One may have more weight in the handle and toward the tip, the other may have more weight in the mid section of the frame. And as Greg said, strings can make a difference. The lightest synthetics are around 14 grams and the heaviest 22 grams.