PDA

View Full Version : Heaviest leather grips?

Matt H.
05-31-2004, 02:59 PM
I can't get the old message board to work, so i'll just ask here.

Besides Fairway, what's the next heaviest leather grip?

I've got some MW 200g's that i'm gonna try, and wanted to put some extra weight on it, maybe make it a 1 point more head light.

I'm used to racquets in the 12.75-13 oz range, so i was gonna add the leather grip, and then put the rest in the 3+9 o'clock position.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt H.
05-31-2004, 03:01 PM
btw...not that i'm against Fairway's, they're just a bit more expensive, and i use overgrips.

unless the Fairways are considerablly more heavy then the next.

dax_q
05-31-2004, 05:54 PM
I think fairways weigh 25 grams, while synthetic will weigh about 15. I stress the term "I think." I am interested in this question too, because I don't think they make fairways anymore. I used the old fairways off of my PS6.0's and put them on my new racquets.

dcheung
05-31-2004, 05:55 PM
I suggest you start customizing from 3/9 position, watch out the weight and balance first. I did what you want to do but the end up weight was 385g but only 4 pts head light.
David

Coda
05-31-2004, 06:21 PM
are the wilson leather grips that much lower in quality than the fairways? I've never thought so. The Tour 90 leather feels the same as the old PS 6.0 leather.

Lambro
05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
The Fairways that came stock on Wilson racquets from mid 90's on were great - slightly tacky feel, brown. Towards the end of Wilsons' run with Fairways, they switched to a version that was a bit more orange in color, they were slightly more adsorbent, I didn't like them as much but would certainly be happy to hit with either. The early Fairwaiys on St Vincent, Chicago & Taiwan models were heaviest because there was more oil worked into the leather. I have transplanted old grips on to new PS frames and there is a noticable difference.

The new wilson grips on tour 90's and on the current PS 85 is a cheaper, thinner & harder feeling leather. The staining is very poor, so you get discoloration very quickly as well. I don't use over wraps and get used to this feel pretty quickly, but would be nice if they at least stained them a decent color that didn't rub off!

The best leather grips coming out on racquets now are on Pro Kennex frames (laver C, 5G PSE & 15G PSE).

dax_q
06-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Yes, but how much do the different leather grips weigh

PrestigeClassic
06-03-2004, 03:23 AM
Great, Lambo. Wilson-brand leather grips are bad! The one on the Tour 90 even goes a step further. It takes the same amount of quality and stretches it over a larger length, making the quality-per-inch that much less. Weird! I like some of the older Fairway grips on Pro Staffs from the 80's. Some of them are even a little wider, like 1". Did it not occur that hands are getting larger, not smaller? Why 7/8" wide? Dye that lifts onto an overgrip? Who likes slick grips that feel like dirt? That's like the largest complaint that I hear about leather grips in these days of synthetics. Whoever starts up the Balmforth factory again can make a killing! I never even had a chance to try Fairway Tacky grips.

PrestigeClassic
06-03-2004, 03:27 AM
dax, my Fairway two-handed tan grips each weighs 1.0 ounce uncut. This along with other weights can be found on the old board if you perform a search. Not sure, but I think Gamma grips were said to approach Fairway in terms of at least weight, but not quality control (weight and color from grip to grip). I personally want to try out Babolat because it is a full 1" wide . . .