PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope

HeNmAiNiA
12-09-2005, 09:13 PM
when your on court and youve been playing really good and your winning.
what happens when it all changes??
when you start missing, when you start screaming etc.
what do you do to compose yourself??

rilokiley
12-09-2005, 10:56 PM
I usually start thinking about mint chocolate ice-cream. Makes me happy!

Baseline Basher
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Ice cream? Seriously? That may be the fruitiest thing I have ever heard of.

Deuce
12-11-2005, 01:23 AM

I don't know your age, but you're obviously quite new to the game of tennis.
Us older farts who've been playing the game for many years have come to realize a few things through our experience.

You see, it's this way...

It's not your fault.

It's the racquet.

Honest.

Racquets have a rather annoying propensity to alter their physical characteristics and properties right when it affects us most. They become heavier, and/or stiffer... perhaps unplayably flexible, and, most commonly, physically shrink. Strings, being as tight with racquets as they are, partake in the conspiracy, as well - in a supporting role. At the urging of the racquet, strings can become - very suddenly - stiff as a board, or as loose as well cooked spaghetti. Grips and overgrips get in on the act, as well, from time to time, becoming excessively slick and slimy.

True, if one has another racquet handy, these problems can be overcome - albeit very temporarily - but there is virtually no escape from the damned shoes. Like racquets, shoes possess a character defect which causes them to behave in a similar malicious manner as the racquet. Typically, this manifests itself in the shoes suddenly gaining roughly five pounds. Each.

These events have been scientifically monitored and proven beyond any doubt. So don't beat yourself up thinking that you're actually responsible for your sudden loss of ability. There is an entire conspiracy at work here - one against which we mere mortals are powerless.

Play the game. Smile. And remember - please - that it's not your fault.

rilokiley
12-11-2005, 01:28 AM
You wins at life, Deuce. *CLAP*

nViATi
12-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Stop trying to hit winners!

Sixpointone
12-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Question: when your on court and youve been playing really good and your winning.
Answer: I enjoy myself and my confidence grows.

Question: what happens when it all changes??
Answer: I try to take a deep breath, remember some of the basics, and continue to work for my points.

Question: when you start missing, when you start screaming etc.
Answer: If I miss an easy shot, or my rhythm is off I might be heard telling myself what I did wrong. Whether is be to open the face of my Racquet more, or bend my knees more. But more often than not I quietly talk words of encouragement to myself, or my partner if we are playing doubles.

Question: what do you do to compose yourself??
Answer: I might take an extra moment before I serve or return serve. On a change over I will take a sip of water and/or a sports drink, and maybe a piece of a sports bar. I will think a positive thought and know win or lose it will never be a case of lack of effort or love of the game.

HeNmAiNiA
12-11-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't know your age, but you're obviously quite new to the game of tennis.
Us older farts who've been playing the game for many years have come to realize a few things through our experience.

You see, it's this way...

It's not your fault.

It's the racquet.

Honest.

Racquets have a rather annoying propensity to alter their physical characteristics and properties right when it affects us most. They become heavier, and/or stiffer... perhaps unplayably flexible, and, most commonly, physically shrink. Strings, being as tight with racquets as they are, partake in the conspiracy, as well - in a supporting role. At the urging of the racquet, strings can become - very suddenly - stiff as a board, or as loose as well cooked spaghetti. Grips and overgrips get in on the act, as well, from time to time, becoming excessively slick and slimy.

True, if one has another racquet handy, these problems can be overcome - albeit very temporarily - but there is virtually no escape from the damned shoes. Like racquets, shoes possess a character defect which causes them to behave in a similar malicious manner as the racquet. Typically, this manifests itself in the shoes suddenly gaining roughly five pounds. Each.

These events have been scientifically monitored and proven beyond any doubt. So don't beat yourself up thinking that you're actually responsible for your sudden loss of ability. There is an entire conspiracy at work here - one against which we mere mortals are powerless.

ive actually been playing tennis for quite a while. about 8 years now. and im not being up my self but i am quite good. thanks for the insight anyway.

armand
12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
ive actually been playing tennis for quite a while. about 8 years now. and im not being up my self but i am quite good. thanks for the insight anyway.8 years? I have string jobs older than you!
Seriously, when things go bad for me, I think to myself: "I'm playing tennis. Where else would I rather be? No where, sadly. So I am happy just to be standing on a tennis court with racquet in hand. Nothing else much matters."

TripleB
12-13-2005, 05:54 AM

Think about my 9 year old daughter and what she would think about the way I am acting and how much more important she is than tennis.

Then I usually start hitting backhand slice dropshots and then follow them up with topspin lobs.

It's all about perspective!!!

TripleB

MegacedU
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
I dont. I choke and lose, throw things (ie, the racquet that's causing us so much strife), cry, and turn the bass all the way up on my stereo system in my car.

I need mental game work.

Rumjungle
12-13-2005, 01:44 PM

Deuce hit it on the head this time. Well, maybe except for the part about temporarily overcoming these problems by switching racquets. I've had days where none of my racquets perform as they were designed and so they must all be conspiring against me!:D

Kaptain Karl
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Deuce!!! "Post of the Month" ... already.

- KK

Aykhan Mammadov
12-13-2005, 02:27 PM
When u start lose after winning for a while it happens by 2 reasons - either u started to be NOT serious, or u started to tremble.

In the first case u simply relaxed more than needed and concentration can solve problem, in the second case - it's yr nature and very difficult to fight against. Neither ice creams, no bananas or racket changes and etc.. can help u. Only very sexual imagination ( because it's related with yr nature very deep in yr brains ) can help u.

Imagine or recall anything what can help yr erection. Think about her, not tennis.

Dan007
12-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Throw my racket down!

Viper
12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I smash stuff and scream real loud >_>

snowpuppy
12-13-2005, 10:09 PM
throw your racquet. duh! don't you watch pro tennis?