PDA

View Full Version : Anger. Any psychologists on the board?

lendl lives
02-27-2004, 11:09 AM
My game is aggressvie baseliner. I play best when I really swing at the ball (not quite as much as Gonzlez though did you all see that australian match against a-rod, wheeew)....Anyway, when I grunt I hit better when I get angry I play more aggressively. The only thing is I'm not sure who or what to be angry toward. I feel a bit like luke skywalker here. Any advice on how to play aggressivley and intently without going over to the dark side?

@wright
02-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Some players play better when they're angry, because they quit caring whether they win, and they start playing relaxed instead of tentatively. I'd put myself in this category, except with me it's just more fearless than angry. If you need to get angry there should be plenty of material to work with. As a child did you ever have a dog that got run over by a car? Did any of your girlfriends ever cheat on you with your best friend? It may help you to listen to a certain kind of music before you play to get you relaxed, or you could watch a few games of a match with a player that inspires you. What happens in your gray matter right before you start playing really well?

lendl lives
02-27-2004, 02:12 PM
tks Alan,

re your questions yes to all. ok let see how i do tonight! i like the new board much better as well.

Hyperstate
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Anger needs to be channelled correctly. Blindly swinging out will get you nowhere. Instead, use your anger by increasing the level of your focus. The attitude should be... I'm gonna nail the next shot, or I'm gonna pin you (opponent) to the baseline, or I'm gonna pass you at will. Use the force, increase your focus and raise the level of your game! :twisted:

Morpheus
02-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Certain personalities do better when agitated or angry, ala John McEnroe. I play some pretty good players and, frankly, I avoid playing the types who explode, toss their rackets, and express themselves liberally throughout the match. It's just not much fun playing with an angry opponent.

But if it works for you, by all means, let it fly. I'd recommend that you contain it and channel it into your strokes. If you can stay objective while angry, this may be effective for you.

stainless steel rat
02-29-2004, 08:32 PM
I got two types of anger, one where I just build up frustration at missing shots and starts getting the best of me and wears on me and I almost feel like I start giving up I'm wound up for so long. Another anger I got is when I all of a sudden go berserk over a shot. I could be winning most of the points and then all of a sudden I dump a volley in the net that ****es me off so bad that I go bonkers. To me, its better to have the latter kind because once its over you feel all better. My point is to cleanse yourself as soon as possible, if you feel irked, let it all out and amplify it, don't hold it in, even exaggerate it. Holding it in, being "sportsmanlike" only makes it worse because you'll blow your top eventually anyway.

Morpheus
03-01-2004, 03:49 AM
BE LIKE BORG...

lendl lives
03-01-2004, 09:22 AM
There was only one guy at the club I had not beaten. I played him this weekend. I yelled loudly on several occasions and it helped me play harder and relax. It's like I was less anxious. Anyway I beat him for the first time 2-2. Previously we'd played several times and he'd beat me 1-2 or so. Another factor here is after four months of getting back into tennis I'm starting to play better.

Stinkdyr
03-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Dunno if anger or how to deal with it works, but you brought to mind something Jimbo Connors used to say, that I adopted and helped me in High School tennis: "When I am playing a point, I WANT that ball to come back over the net again so I can hit it again." Good psychology to use on yourself especially if you find yourself choking, or fearing the opponents next shot.

polakosaur
03-01-2004, 10:33 AM
show no emotion whether happy or angry, its the best way to go sampras did it

Kobble
03-01-2004, 11:13 AM
In response to Polakosaur. What happens when you become indifferent to winning or losing? I have learned to become indifferent to the outcome regardless of what is on the line. I still play as if my life was on the line, but I have no fear of either result. My results are better when I choose to get in that mind set, but it makes the game very dull when I do. At the that stage playing the game can also become pointless. It puts me in the position to choose more boring victories or more painful defeats. I believe this is what Sampras felt when he retired. Since there appears to be no right choice, I have been alternating between both states of mind just to keep tennis interesting. I have quit many things I was extremely good at because I came to this point in every one of them.Does anyone else experience this, or am I alone on this one.

borisboris
03-02-2004, 09:04 AM
:twisted: I think in my past life I was a NORGE BESERKER. I was a linebacker in HS and fell in love with tennis in college because it's a selfish sport-no more team spirit. I play like St. Stephen when the match is w/o unforced errors but when the ball starts hitting the tape and my opponent calls deep - I make St. Helens look like $1 roman candle. I have a hard time with it- some think I'll have a heart attack on ct. As soon as the match is over I'm telling my opponent about his positive shots etc. Is there a noted book on tennis psychology?

kevhen
03-02-2004, 11:24 AM
I was playing racquetball last weak where I am more at a 3.5 level vs my 4.0 tennis level so I get more frustrated and was yelling "I hate racquetball" after losing points, but it seemed to help me to stay focused and aggressive and overall I played pretty well. So sometimes anger and yelling can get it out of your system, and let you continue on in a positive manner. Tennis is so much better than racquetball!