PDA

View Full Version : Weight difference between strung vs unstrung?

kreative
12-11-2005, 08:05 AM
What's the difference in weight of a strung racquet compared to an unstrung one? Want to order some racquets and want to match to the one I have now, but would have to wait until I pop the strings....

PBODY99
12-11-2005, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=kreative]What's the difference in weight of a strung racquet compared to an unstrung one? Want to order some racquets and want to match to the one I have now, but would have to wait until I pop the strings....[/QUOTE}

Any shop you order from that is willing to match frame weights will handle this for you, just give them the weight of your current frame. IMHO it is more important to get the balance and swingweight of the frame you are trying to match as these two factors will effect the feel and play of the rackets soo if you can get these factors down you are on your way.:cool:

ChipNCharge
12-11-2005, 08:13 AM
I think strings generally add about .6oz to the racquet's weight (ie: a 10oz unstrung racquet will weigh 10.6oz strung)

kreative
12-15-2005, 02:11 PM
thx, any other input?

ssjkyle31
12-15-2005, 02:13 PM
You could just match it up yourslef. A postal scale and a balance board.

NoBadMojo
12-15-2005, 02:24 PM
it's typically stated as .5 ozs..more if a poly <in my opinion>. you could weigh the particular strings you use as ss indicates on an accurate scale, but know that even isnt going to be completely precise because strings have varying elasticity. also, i am sure you understand that using different scales can result in different measurements,

SageOfDeath
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM
also doesn't it also depend on how much of the string is actually on the racquet? I'm sure the ammount of string from a POG to the ammount of string in a Big Bubba would be different. And string guage is also a factor.

BTW what racquet do you have now? Maybe we can help you.

PS have you read "The Alchemist" its a really good book.

AndrewD
12-16-2005, 01:24 AM
If you have a look at the sites which show the weight of racquets unstrung and then look at TW (which shows strung weight) you'll get a rough idea of the weight difference. Seems to be, roughly, 0.5oz. Obviously, there are other factors to be included but .5-.6 might be a good, rough estimate for you.

SteveI
12-16-2005, 03:05 AM
If you have a look at the sites which show the weight of racquets unstrung and then look at TW (which shows strung weight) you'll get a rough idea of the weight difference. Seems to be, roughly, 0.5oz. Obviously, there are other factors to be included but .5-.6 might be a good, rough estimate for you.

AD and NoBad,

You are right on. .5 to .6 oz.. and the balanace point will move 2-3 points MORE HH after you string. That is.. if a frame is balanced even before stringing.. it will be 2-3 points HH after stringing. Wilson used to print on the racket insert cardboard.. the specs both ways. I know the type of string and the guage will make a slight differance.. but that is a nice ballpark estimate. Now... ask someone how it effects swingweight and flex.. that is somewhat complicated...:-)

Regards from the frozen north!
Steve

AndrewD
12-16-2005, 03:17 AM
SteveI,

The thing I can't work out is that one site will show you unstrung weight and one will show you strung weight but both show you the same balance. TW seems to do a pretty good job of testing specs (we've had a lot of posts about that before) so you'd think that they'd be quite reliable. If that's the case, why does the other site show unstrung weight and not adjust the balance accordingly?

SteveI
12-16-2005, 05:30 AM
SteveI,

The thing I can't work out is that one site will show you unstrung weight and one will show you strung weight but both show you the same balance. TW seems to do a pretty good job of testing specs (we've had a lot of posts about that before) so you'd think that they'd be quite reliable. If that's the case, why does the other site show unstrung weight and not adjust the balance accordingly?

AD,

The guys at TW are really a cut above the rest. I am told they post the specs after they test a number of frames and take the average of all frames tested. Other sites.. I am sure do not do the same. Dunlop for example lists all frames as even balanced?? Whats up with that?

Regards,
Steve

Tenny
12-16-2005, 10:16 AM
I actually measured these items using a scientific balance.

Old Gosen syngut 17 I cut out from a racquet : 15.19g
Head Perfect control 17. Same : 13.72g

(I just measured these just for fun)
Rubber band : 1.08g.
Prince P-shock dampener = 4.54g
Head shock dampener = 2.34g

kreative
12-16-2005, 12:05 PM
thx all for your inputs.

sage, yes, i've read the book, which is where i got my signature from. really good read.

NoBadMojo
12-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Steve, typically a strung frame will flex marginally more than an unstrung one...in the area of 1-2 points softer on well made frames. for determining the difference in swingweight, as a general rule you are looking at approx. 25sw points more for a strung frame, so you can see that while a poly string may only increase the statc weight very slightly, it can have a larger impact on swingweight, and people notice swingweight much more than static weight during actual play.

SteveI
12-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Steve, typically a strung frame will flex marginally more than an unstrung one...in the area of 1-2 points softer on well made frames. for determining the difference in swingweight, as a general rule you are looking at approx. 25sw points more for a strung frame, so you can see that while a poly string may only increase the statc weight very slightly, it can have a larger impact on swingweight, and people notice swingweight much more than static weight during actual play.

NoBad...

I for one do notice swingweight vs static weight. My frames are close to 12 oz..but have lower sw in relation to static. I can really tell when playing hard hitters with bigger serves. Using frames with higher swingweights cause me to be late on return of serve. When you cut down the grommet strips on your Volkl frames, do you have an estimate of much the reduction is in Sw?

Regards,
Steve

NoBadMojo
12-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Steve I only have an estimation from feel not measurement..they swing around 315 to me, vs 325 or so, but i've added leather grips as well. there is a very significant reduction in swingweight but not a whole lot reduced in the mass of the frame..doing this has worked out well for me..i get to have the mass i want, but can swing them as fast as i want..some may say i've reduced stability by removing weight from the head (as many add weight to the head for stablity) but i dont sense any instability whatsoever