PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Estusa Power Beam Braided?

William Bedford
06-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Curious how it plays as I have never demo'd one myself. Have the chance to pick one up here in the UK for an insanely low price. Is it as good as the TW review suggests?

Stitch626
06-01-2004, 07:55 AM
It is a great racket, although some people say its too powerful because of the 100% graphite. It has a really low swingweight, but it is still very stable and makes for crazy reaction vollies. If you feel it swings to light you can always add lead tape. I'm going to try this out and see if i can hit a heavier ball. If it is for an insanely low price I would buy it. I would buy it for the $140 TW has it for.

KFwinds
06-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Stitch626,

I've got a few PBB's for sale, one slightly used (9/10) and one almost new (i.e. strung, but 0 hrs court time), grip size 4 1/2. E-mail: kfwinds@aol.com if interested.

-Kevin

alpha
06-01-2004, 03:00 PM
It's a sweet racquet if you can manage the racquet's demanding traits. You have to be able to generate your own power and swingspeed. The closest comparison to the mainstream player's racquet would be Wilson PS 6.1 95, I'd say. It may depend on the setup of the racquets I demoed, but I thought PBB was livelier than PS 6.1 95 and had more pop. If you volley, there will be no comparison between 6.1 and PBB.

The TW review I thought was right on the money. I'd not hesitate to pick up my third one if it's at a right price, although my wife would diagree....

It's too bad that we can not access the old board because there were several good first-hand reviews of the racquet....

alpha

Edited: Thank goodness for the editable board! you can read the messages on the old board. I just searched with 'estusa' as the keyword. I can't give you the link because it somehow gets messed up when I post it here.

bcaz
06-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Right -- there have been many posts on the old and new boards on the PBB. I've been playing them for about 8-9 months now, and I love them. Great at the net, very good for producing spin, but believe me, the PBB is NOT a powerful racquet. It is very head-light, very thin, and has little mass in the head. I have mine leaded up a bit, and with overgrips they are about 12.9 oz., 9-10 pts. HL, and still not very powerful. The PS 6.0 95 is similar, with more power (stock vs. stock versions). The Power Beam Pro has many fans, and it's even less powerful than the PBB. I never tried the PBP, but I did demo the Power Beam, and the Braided was better, IMO, in all categories.

The PBB's glowing review is justified.

William Bedford
06-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think i'll grab one as the price is too good to ignore.....