PDA

View Full Version : Forehand grip!

mattlikovich
02-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Hey guys!!

I use the semi western forehand grip. One time, my pro was watching me return serves from a ball machine and he said stop how are you holding that racquet. I had a space between my index and middle finger, much like u do when u hold continental grip. He said not too do that. But it kind of slipped and I continued, and last night (2-3 month later) when I was warming up against the wall I said wow. This is like the continetal. So since I don't have any tournaments for a while, I figured I would try to move my index down more, so I don't cover as much area of the racquet handle. What is the deal with this? Does it matter? It seems like it might be a bit more western, but I felt like I was hitting the forehand better and more solid last night after I switched. It still will take some time to muscle memory it. Should I change or keep my old way? Thanks!!!

Matt

Eric Matuszewski
02-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Spreading Index Finger up on Forehand:
Advantage:
may help you keep the racket head from "sagging" and it may help you pronate your hand easier (more forcefully and thus faster) for topspin.

Look at some tape of Safin (or Federer sometimes) when he gets a short ball that he wants to wipe over and pull back into the court quickly. (this takes topspin).

Pronation (kind of a thumbs down movement) with a racket in your hand takes strength. The same muscles being used to do this are the ones that keep your racket head from sagging down.

The mechanics behind the conclusion:
spreading the index finger further up the grip shortens the resistance lever arm (your racket above the finger) by changing the position of the fulcrum (your index finger). Assuming your whole hand hasn't moved up the grip you should still have all the advantage of using the whole length of your racket.

Imagine a mutant player with a 8 inch finger that he spreaded up the grip..he would probably not have and issue with the head sagging and he could pronate very easily with the help of that stabilizing finger.

Disadvantage:
None known.....besides maybe annoying you coach....

Eric Matuszewski
02-29-2004, 09:35 PM
The increased support may also help with the Radial flexion (isometric) needed to resist racket head sag during quick internal rotation of the humerous. (whether were talking pronation or Radial flexion depends on "how western or eastern your grip is")

sorry about all the vocab, but it's important not to be ambiguous (this web instruction thing has its limitations, no substitute for in person contact).

C_Urala
03-01-2004, 01:58 AM
I think you meant pronation rather than supination. Did you?

Eric Matuszewski
03-01-2004, 04:13 AM
Yep, in orig posts I accidentally flipped the two terms. Just edited them (nice feature of the new board, by the way) . Sorry, turning thumb down =pronation, turning thumb up =supination. Wrote post very late, was a bit sleepy. Thanks for reading critically. What do you think about the theory? Anybody tried the two finger positions and discovered anything else?