PDA

View Full Version : Which movie should I see?

PM_
12-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Has anyone seen Syrianna and Chronicles of Narnia?

I want to see Syrianna b/c of the political element in it, not to the action and suspense look good too, but I'm also a huge fan of Tolkien and LOTR. Is Chronicles anything like LOTR but I get the feeling it's a lot closer to Harry Potter and b/c of the kids starring in it?

Thanks.

tnig469
12-12-2005, 03:02 PM
never seen Chronicles of Narnia...but when i was a kid i read the book and loved it so ill prolly go watch it sometime or another

fbone
12-12-2005, 03:11 PM
I heard and read a review that Syrianna was really good. (I will wait for DVD) Really heavy drama, hard to follow, but if you are into great acting, a must see.

BreakPoint
12-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm waiting to see "Munich", "The New World", and "Match Point" (yes, the Woodie Allen tennis movie). I might also end up seeing "King Kong" and Memoirs of a Geisha". They look intriguing. "Syriana", I heard is next to impossible to follow with all the multiple confusing storylines. But I see a lot of movies, though, so you never know.

tennis-n-sc
12-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Saw Syrianna this weekend. Very good but slow in developing. Takes several characters and develops their stories for a grand finale. I understand some of it was based on some actual events.

tykrum
12-12-2005, 04:58 PM
PM I'm in the same boat. Big fan of LOTR, and I'm intrigued by Narnia. I also want to see Syriana, but my friends that also wanted to see it of course went when I couldn't go last Friday. I'm going to have to wait until after finals to see either now.

oscar_2424
12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
go watch narnia

Baseline Basher
12-12-2005, 08:18 PM
I haven't heard much about Syriana, but I heard Narnia was amazing.

For the record, DOOM sucked. Anybody who's ever played any DOOM game will agree.

Barricade_steve
12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
I would watch Narnia. My friend told me it's simmilar to LOTR

35ft6
12-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I heard Narnia was cheap looking sleep medicine.

I saw Syriana and if you're interested in that kind of stuff, what REALLY drives world events, then you'll appreciate this movie. But it's not an easy movie. You can't sort of sit there passively coasting through it. You really have to pay attention and there's about a 30 minute stretch there that's borderline tedious, but once the payoff's start coming, it's exhilarating. And afterwards, you'll be thoroughly depressed. Highly recommended, but I don't think this is the movie that's going to get the red states to wake up. It's just too difficult.

edit: also, this is the rare movie where it might be a good idea to read about it beforehand, even learning some spoilers... to really make it fun, read some Chomsky beforehand

PM_
12-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I heard Narnia was cheap looking sleep medicine.

I saw Syriana and if you're interested in that kind of stuff, what REALLY drives world events, then you'll appreciate this movie. But it's not an easy movie. You can't sort of sit there passively coasting through it. You really have to pay attention and there's about a 30 minute stretch there that's borderline tedious, but once the payoff's start coming, it's exhilarating. And afterwards, you'll be thoroughly depressed. Highly recommended, but I don't think this is the movie that's going to get the red states to wake up. It's just too difficult.

edit: also, this is the rare movie where it might be a good idea to read about it beforehand, even learning some spoilers... to really make it fun, read some Chomsky beforehand

Thanks 35ft6. I usually like to watch the these kinds of films (political, realistic) on the big screen and opt to rent everything else.

Docalex007
12-13-2005, 01:52 PM
C'mon, are you kidding me? I want to see the Gorilla vs. T-rex!

Kevin Patrick
12-13-2005, 02:02 PM
That's interesting, PM. I would think the opposite is true for most people-see King Kong on the big screen, rent Syriana.
Movies like King Kong are the reason movies changed to 'widescreen' in the 50s, to see something you can't see on TV.
And judging from 35's description, Syriana might play better on dvd(you can rewatch the tedious stuff if you missed anything the first time)

Narnia does look lame from the trailers, reviews etc.

PM_
12-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Actually, you're right KP.
I think I'll watch King Kong. I want to see how many civilians he stomps on in New York.

Kevin Patrick
12-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not really into big-budget event films, but King Kong looks like the real deal. Peter Jackson may be the new Spielberg(or the Spielberg from the 70s/80s) Though 3hrs seems like a bit much for that type of movie.

I think they'll keep the body count down, Kong has to be a somewhat sympathetic character.
They're showing the original Kong on TCM tonight, he seemed more vicious(there are actually shots of him eating people)

cadfael_tex
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm seeing Narnia on Friday. WETA plus classic literature means good movie (or at least that's my reasoning). I plan to see the big monkey if I can too!

ironchef21
12-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Saw The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe this past weekend and really enjoyed it. It's pretty faithful to the book which is a positive if you liked the book.

Baseline Basher
12-13-2005, 04:59 PM
C'mon, are you kidding me? I want to see the Gorilla vs. T-rex!

Obviously, I haven't seen the film, but I played that section in the King Kong demo at Best Buy. Good times...

SPOILER: You rip the t-rizzle thingy's jaw off! OMG!!

Muse
12-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Obviously, I haven't seen the film, but I played that section in the King Kong demo at Best Buy. Good times...

damn, i didn't get that far. I bashed his head into the rocks around me like 10 times and he didn't die, and he bit me twice and I died. That's ****.

battousai555
12-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Chronicles of Narnia. The books were great so I assume the movie will be too like LOTR was.

Viper
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Chronicles of Narnia because Susan says.

"O RLY?"

35ft6
12-14-2005, 02:14 AM
And judging from 35's description, Syriana might play better on dvd(you can rewatch the tedious stuff if you missed anything the first time) True. But there's something to be said for experiencing a movie with a theater full of like-minded people. There is something very powerful about Syriana, and if you're with the right audience, it could be a borderline cathartic event. If that doesn't really matter, then Syriana is definitely a movie that might be easier to track with the subtitles on.

King Kong is a great film. Definitely see it on the big screen. Find the biggest screen you can. I saw it on a giant screen (got lucky and attended a press screening in LA) and I was getting motion sickness from the CGI, which was some of the best I've ever seen. The cgi King Kong in this movie was heart breaking in its expressiveness. While I'm on the subject, the special effects in the latest Harry Potter was also unbelievable.

I had my issues with King Kong but I'll spare you. See for yourself.:D

35ft6
12-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Chronicles of Narnia. The books were great so I assume the movie will be too like LOTR was. That's a hel luva an assumption. LOTR was a miracle. Don't get used to adaptations being done that masterfully because it will probably only happen 1 or 2 more times in your life.

Docalex007
12-14-2005, 05:38 AM

Speaking of video games and movies, they should make a Zelda movie! Anybody feel me on that one?

Fedubai
12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
It's an assumption, yeah, but it's a good one. I thought it was excellent. There have been only two movies I have been to where the audience applauded at the end, and that was one of them. The battle rivals anything in LOTR in my opinion. It's not a 'childrens' film where the adults have to roll there eyes, either. The acting was superb, special effects were generally very good with the exception of the fox, and it is a very powerful movie. It leaves you with the same epic fantasy feel as LOTR did.

Surprisingly, perhaps, Disney didn't corrupt this film. In retrospect, though, they really couldn't, because they would be hung over the meat grinder by about 20 million people if they did.

The music was also excellent. http://music.walmart.com/m/000/50/08/61/37/47/0005008613747.01.01.012.mp3

legolas
12-14-2005, 11:00 AM
syrianna, then kingkong, narnia is a crappy lord of the rings

Fedubai
12-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Bitter LOTR fan.;)

PM_
12-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I am going to see King Kong tonight so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM_
12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
LOL those characters are almost as big is Kong himself.:p :D

PollACk
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Chronicles of Narnia looks to me like a child's movie. Go KING KONG , the trailers so freaking amazing.

Docalex007
12-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Please don't spoil anything for me PM regarding the movie....or should I be scared and not click this thread from this moment forth? haha.

PM_
12-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Please don't spoil anything for me PM regarding the movie....or should I be scared and not click this thread from this moment forth? haha.

HAHAHAH if you haven't seen it already I'll only say:

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Docalex007
12-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Well ok then, PM and PM give it two thumbs up! I'll go check it out Sunday. :)

SageOfDeath
12-17-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm actually contemplating whether or not I want to see Narnia, though I voted for it because I haven't heard anyone who didn't like it so far. The reason why is many people loved LOTR and I didn't really care for it. It kind of dragged for me, I didn't need to see those long scenes of them not really doing anything, I want dialogue, and action. LOTR was way too slowmoving for me, I prefer dialogue over action.

So for those of you who have seen Narnia do you think that it would appeal to someone who doesn't like movies that drag on? I'm fine with long movies but is it like a rollercoaster where there are severe hills of ups and downs?

cadfael_tex
12-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Saw Narnia on Friday. As a fan of the books, it was a great movie. I think it would also be a great movie if you've never read the books. Definitely in the LOTR vein - shot in NZ with WETA. The Inkster bond continues.

doriancito
12-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Narnia was really gfood i thoyught it was going to be like the lord of the rings which i didnt like at all

Fedubai
12-17-2005, 02:33 PM
So for those of you who have seen Narnia do you think that it would appeal to someone who doesn't like movies that drag on? I'm fine with long movies but is it like a rollercoaster where there are severe hills of ups and downs?

It doesn't drag on. Plenty of substance though.