PDA

View Full Version : Any musicians or sax players

Steve Huff
12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
My son has taken up the alto sax. He'd like to also get a Tenor sax. Does anyone play, have a professional model for sale, or know of a really GOOD place in the Virginia area that is reputable? Thanks. stmt@comcast.net

sdslyout
12-15-2005, 09:19 PM
I'd say rent the/a horn(s) first if you can. Don't know where to rent instruments
check the local jr. high schools band directer. or high school. the students don't own they rent, well some.

Rumjungle
12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I'd have to agree there. Rent first and see if it suits him. I played tenor for years but was always more partial to the alto.

snoflewis
12-16-2005, 09:50 AM
My son has taken up the alto sax. He'd like to also get a Tenor sax. Does anyone play, have a professional model for sale, or know of a really GOOD place in the Virginia area that is reputable? Thanks. stmt@comcast.net

well....if you son plans on playing more than one musical group in school, such as concert, marching, and jazz, chances are he might need more than jus an alto....the best instrument site i found was music123:com. but if you want to go to a store, try samash, i dont know if they have on in VA but it's got the best prices, esp since its a chain store. Also, instrument prices have gone up tremendously the past couple years. 5 years ago, i picked up a $500 trumpet, which is now over $900 for the same one. Also, i picked up another $1400 trumpet 3 years ago, which is now $1800....it's pretty ridiculous

Dedans Penthouse
12-16-2005, 10:29 AM
http://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/instruments/altosax
THIS SITE contains some good advice on buying/renting, etc..

or try:

www.BillClintonMusic.com

Bill used to blow sax, then he got tired of it, switched and started blowing a Hohner Blues Harmonica or was it a Hon'er Blews W'horeMonica?....I'm not sure which.... :razz: (sorry....)

"I did not have sax with that woman!"

fishuuuuu
12-16-2005, 10:38 AM
I used to play trombone/tuba/euphonium. My advice also is rent before you own, or even better, rent to own. I don't know about saxaphones but for concert brass instruments the cheapest and best ones would be Bach Strats.

Hope this helps!

AngeloDS
12-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Actually, I first started off a tenor saxophone in 6th grade. I never liked the alto that much, right now I'm playing with a Yanagisawa T901. Those are fairly cheap around the $2000 range (intermediate model), but another good brand would be Selmer (first brand I started with in 6th grade was a Selmer). They have good intermediate to professional level saxophones. Even their student models are wonderful. Stay away from Yamaha, Jupiter, and Keilwerth. Those saxophones are horrible for their prices, they should be worth like $200 at most lol. They really suck.

www.wwbw.com (wood wind & brass wind)

I'd rent it as most people say. Look around, usually if you rent a saxophone. A lot of the money goes into paying off the saxophone, so later he can own it.

The professional models are only good if you've had years of experience. By years, I mean 6+ years of experience. They obviously cost the most. Intermediate models are good, but they're still a bit expensive but affordable. Student models are the best for students, because the music they play isn't the most technical (even in jazz band) and very affordable.

Nuke
12-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Yes, rent an instrument first from a local music store, until you're sure the kid will really stick with it. If it looks like something he will continue with, then go to e-bay at the end of the school year -- lots of kids will be dumping their instruments as they graduate or drop out of band. I did that with my two daughters -- got two nice flutes and a piccolo very reasonably.

sdslyout
12-16-2005, 12:14 PM
You also get what you pay for. there is nothing wrong forking out more money
for a better horn, it will be made better have better pads and everything fits together better. if you buy crap it will sound like crap and is harder to play

Geppetto
12-16-2005, 12:27 PM
My son started with an alto sax in middle school beginning band last year (rental Yamaha), and is now playing tenor sax in the wind ensemble this year. He much prefers the tonal range of the tenor, although it's a chore to lug around in its case. He rented the alto last year from Brook Mays Music for about $54 per month including damage insurance. He started renting a tenor from Brook Mays this year, but all they had available was an off-brand model ($1300 if new) that was pretty terrible (difficult to produce correct tones on the lower notes, generally poor sound quality) and his saxophone teacher told him to return it. His school did have a Yamaha and a Selmer available for him to borrow; he tried both, and he absolutely loves the Selmer! New Selmers tend to run $2600 on up, so definitely rent one until it looks like he might have a long-term commitment to the instrument. I'm of the opinion that a high-quality instrument can inspire motivation due to better playability and sound (I've found that to be certainly true when it comes to guitars). Hope everything works out well for your son: Sax is a great instrument, and applicable to many types of music.

Hartzy
12-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Ah the plight of the musicians. Instruments aren't cheap at all:( I've been playing drums for 9 years and there's $2000 worth of percusion equipment in my room. Lessons aren't cheap at all either. And if your kid wants to play marimba, well you're out of luck. I was lucky enough to get marimba lessons from my school percussion instructor for free. Pretty much, for as positive a thing it is for kids to pick up music, it sure does clean out the wallet.

SageOfDeath
12-16-2005, 07:17 PM
I have the cheapest instrument ever, my voice. ;)

bcsax123
12-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Right now I play with a YTS - 23 Tenor from Yamaha. It its really great intermediate model. I have played with a Selmer Super Balanced Action Alto before, and I loved it.Of course, it cost like $5000 compared to a $1500 Yamaha. Be warned, Yamaha's do not play well in cold weather.
Some music store are rent to buy, which means you can rent an instrumenty for the regular rental price until you paid it off. But if you don't like it you can just give it back to the store.
Overall, it's not worth to get a Selmer. It's just too expensive.
A Yamaha Custom Sax would be really great.

sdslyout
12-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Do you know the icon for yamaha, (everything made by yamaha has it ) is 3 tuning forks. Yamaha really makes good (wind-brass) instruments and are not cheap. In these days of composites and cutting corners to save time and money
i would not buy new(any brand wind-brass)like guitars the better are older. The 60's were great and much produced are prefered over late model items. I know nothing can touch my 1966 Gibson SG JR. for material, construction,sound, and playing( holds a tune ) I believe any musical instrument that is "time" crafted over mass-produced is a better value, sure there may be dings and signs of "time" but thats where the warmth comes from that is so desired. Gibson has for a few years now been (trying) to reproduce some of there 1957 - and up vintage instruments saying they use the same materials from that era and want $10.000 dollors per piece and are crap mass produced guitars. Nothing can replace a one-at-a-time, time crafted by a person instrument, strings, wind , brass, and percussion. Drums, wooden shells of yesterday ( like rodgers ) are desired over todays fibreglass crap.

Temperture(s) effect everything made of brass, silver, wood and plastic the same goes for moisture and direct sun light. any instrument is happiest when stored in it's case.

doriancito
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
i play the drums, i currently own a PEARL ELX 225 series with Paiste and Zildjian cymbals

bcsax123
12-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Good vintage saxes are Conn 6Ms with a M in the serial number.