PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Benz ML-500 or Range Rover Sport?

Dedans Penthouse
12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I know....SUV's suck.....drivers of them are irresponsible gas guzzler "pigs"......Ok, Ok....but for the sake of argument, your opinion:

Mercedes Benz ML-500 (silver or black) or

Range Rover Sport (vesuvius orange?!)???

off-roading (rover strength) not really a main concern here...

Fee
12-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Get a Honda CRV or a Pilot, sheesh.

(the Benz is going to rust and Rover went out of business). You've become so 'Hollywood'...

Aykhan Mammadov
12-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately here in Baku I didn't see yet new ML of 2006, it had to be changed. I didn't like old ML's neither from exterior ( except from front), no from inside. Inside especially was very ugly in old models and very simple. And outside it was as handicapped, very short.

Then they changed it to new 2006 model interior of which is similar with new E-classes and must be so very good. But again I didn't see it outside, is there any change ? In any case if ML - ONLY BLACK.

Range Rovers new give big impressions - again for me only black. But interior I didn't see. Also manufacturer doesn't create so big confidence as Lexus-Toyota/Mercedes/BMW.

2 years ago since ML's were ugly as well as old RR I chose greyish blue Lexus LX-470. From front and inside it was ( and it is ) great. But for me off-roading was also important. I recognise only my color and black.

U also need look at BMW X-5 black with sportive interior black.

THE ANIMAL
12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Range Rover Sport super charged

cadfael_tex
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
New 2003 Mercedes was the worst car I ever owned!!!!

nViATi
12-16-2005, 05:31 PM
The old ML looks much nicer than the current one. Ew..

Muse
12-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Range Rover sport, hands down.

Ronaldo
12-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Be a man, http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/

Dedans Penthouse
12-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your comments.

Ronaldo: "Be a man." Ronaldo, I AM a man and a MANLY MAN at that! :-)

And as one whose already "enjoyed" owning (when I was a young punk), an orange Willys Jeep with a Spartan interior of metal trimmed with more metal, I've already gone the "rugged" route. Wranglers to me mean denim ;-) Jeep Wranglers mean "interactive driving experience" that is, you'll interact (feel) with every bump in the road you come across.

nViati: "The old ML looks much nicer than the current one." No accounting for taste, I suppose. Our opinions differ. To me the "old" ML models were a box; at least the new one took some of the gnarlier features of their sport car models and incorporated them into the new ML, especially the front end.

The Animal: "R.R. Supercharged" No doubt about the supercharged version (albeit the steep hike in price), but check out the gas mileage with the supercharged version: instead of 8 miles-to-the-gallon, I think it's more like 8-gallons-to-the-mile.

Aykhan: "X5 BMW" Enjoyed your comments. The X5, though nice is getting a bit stale, style-wise. It's long-in-the-tooth and hasn't changed it's looks for 6 years now.

Fee: Honda CRV or Pilot. The CRV is a practical, great little SUV. The Pilot? Functional, efficient.....with styling by the Politboro. The Pilot is to excitement what Barry Manilow is to Lollapalooza. The "designer" who styled the Pilot, is a poor schlep who:
a: ALWAYS makes love with the lights off, and
b. USUALLY makes love still wearing his black socks, and
c. speaking of which, was the one who wore black socks in gym class

So......I've become 'Hollywood'??! Hollywood??!! Moi?!! Hmmmmm.....where to go with Fee's "Hollywood" jab??......

Well, if I was that flirt Rabbit, I'd probably make an attempt at:
"I'll be your Warren Beaty
And you can be my Leading Lady,
I think we've got a certain 'star attraction' " :roll:

Fortunately, I'll never be THAT Hollywood, Fee (wink!). Anyway, as fond of you as I IS.....I'll leave the brazen flirting with you to Rabbit.

Fee
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Damn, my shameless ploy failed miserably. Should have known DP would be far too intelligent to fall for it...

I love my CRV (and if you are nice and send me an email, I'll send you a photo of me standing next it). But, if it's stylish and expensive you want, get a Lexus RX300 (I think that's it). Those are lovely.

mabuhay
12-19-2005, 02:41 PM
how about this? http://www.chrysler.com/300/300c.html

GRANITECHIEF
12-19-2005, 02:57 PM
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-turbo/

Lakoste
12-19-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd pick the RR

but

fav SUV is the Mercedes G55
http://car-reviews.automobile.com/images/cars/ArtImages/21224/alt01.jpg

snoflewis
12-19-2005, 05:19 PM
if i HAD to get an SUV right now, i'd stick w/ either the Range Rover Sport or Cayenne Turbo. And i do agree the the newer MLs look nicer than the older ones. The newer ones look more sophisticated, while the older ones just look plain. just my thoughts.

tennis-n-sc
12-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Both of your choices are bad, according to every auto survey out there. If off road is not important, go with the Lexus 330.

AAAA
12-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Sticking strictly to your options I'ds pick the Merc everytime. In this catagory(brand!) and price range, snob value/acceptance is a consideration, if not for yourself then it's important during resale time. The Mercedes Benz ML-500 is a genuine Merc, it's a Mercedes Benz ML-500. However comments from some Range Rover owners have been dismissive of the 'sport' version, it isn't seen by some as a real Range Rover. I believe the interior and ride is not typical Range Rover so in that respect, at resale time the typical Range Rover owner is less likely to be interested.

Personally I'd put the Range Rover Sport in a similar social cachet as an Imprezza (any road legal rally variant) or Mitsubishi Evo when a man is driving it.

Rabbit
12-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for your comments.

Ronaldo: "Be a man." Ronaldo, I AM a man and a MANLY MAN at that! :-)

And as one whose already "enjoyed" owning (when I was a young punk), an orange Willys Jeep with a Spartan interior of metal trimmed with more metal, I've already gone the "rugged" route. Wranglers to me mean denim ;-) Jeep Wranglers mean "interactive driving experience" that is, you'll interact (feel) with every bump in the road you come across.

nViati: "The old ML looks much nicer than the current one." No accounting for taste, I suppose. Our opinions differ. To me the "old" ML models were a box; at least the new one took some of the gnarlier features of their sport car models and incorporated them into the new ML, especially the front end.

The Animal: "R.R. Supercharged" No doubt about the supercharged version (albeit the steep hike in price), but check out the gas mileage with the supercharged version: instead of 8 miles-to-the-gallon, I think it's more like 8-gallons-to-the-mile.

Aykhan: "X5 BMW" Enjoyed your comments. The X5, though nice is getting a bit stale, style-wise. It's long-in-the-tooth and hasn't changed it's looks for 6 years now.

Fee: Honda CRV or Pilot. The CRV is a practical, great little SUV. The Pilot? Functional, efficient.....with styling by the Politboro. The Pilot is to excitement what Barry Manilow is to Lollapalooza. The "designer" who styled the Pilot, is a poor schlep who:
a: ALWAYS makes love with the lights off, and
b. USUALLY makes love still wearing his black socks, and
c. speaking of which, was the one who wore black socks in gym class

So......I've become 'Hollywood'??! Hollywood??!! Moi?!! Hmmmmm.....where to go with Fee's "Hollywood" jab??......

Well, if I was that flirt Rabbit, I'd probably make an attempt at:
"I'll be your Warren Beaty
And you can be my Leading Lady,
I think we've got a certain 'star attraction' " :roll:

Fortunately, I'll never be THAT Hollywood, Fee (wink!). Anyway, as fond of you as I IS.....I'll leave the brazen flirting with you to Rabbit.

Damn, my shameless ploy failed miserably. Should have known DP would be far too intelligent to fall for it...

I love my CRV (and if you are nice and send me an email, I'll send you a photo of me standing next it). But, if it's stylish and expensive you want, get a Lexus RX300 (I think that's it). Those are lovely.

Why do I suddenly feel like Jimmy Olsen?

tennisislife
12-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Mercedes sucks they are for old ppl.i prefer alfa romeo

spam
12-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Wait and try the new Merc G wagon coming out next year(at least in Europe)-or the new 7 seater X5 also out in 06 I believe.Love Range Rovers but they have reliability issues-I say that even though they make em on my doorstep.I drive an X5 facelifted current version ,great car but I agree its starting to look a wee bit dated.

Jonnyf
12-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Hummer H3 $45,000 (---------- CHEAP

spam
12-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Mercedes GL 450 -I think its known as.

Rabbit
12-20-2005, 08:46 AM
As to the question....there is no question - MB all the way.

Aykhan Mammadov
12-20-2005, 11:22 AM
The best SUV I ever saw:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17532

Don't ask me, Dedans, to help u financially.

rilokiley
12-20-2005, 12:16 PM
H3 has got to be the ugliest POS I've seen in a long time. heh
Personally i'd go with Range rover.
that's a tight car, aykhan.

Aykhan Mammadov
12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Maybach is tight ? In which meaning? It shares the brand leadership with RR. ( owns by MB, it is highest category cars inside MB).

Look at it again, u probably never heard about Maybach, it is for millioners only.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17532

What is regarding MB. Of course, MB is greatest brand, but it's SUV has been ugliest I ever seen. Inside-cheap, outside- small and cutted as if for handycapped people. Of course, they WILL do ( and I didn't see 2005 model, it is already nice inside as in E-class), but till then Lexus sold millions, BMW sold millions pieces and etc...

Also there is difference between USA made MB and German made MB. I heard so many complaints about ML at forum by address www.mbworld.org

Dedans Penthouse
12-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Interesting comments (and thx again, as always). Some "point-by-point" replies to some of the posters kind enough to pitch in:

mabuhay ("Chrysler 300"): Gnarly looking "face like a clentched fist"---"poor man's Rolls" grill in front. One major consideration would be winter (i.e. driving in snow). I like the SUV options in that regard. If going the "sedan" route, would want to look into AWD/snow alternatives (e.g. Infinity M-35X).

Granite Chief ("Porsche Cayanne"): I have a friend that has one in silver and a next door neighbor that has one in black. While I sort of like it in silver, I'm surprised at how much I'm turned off by it in black....even when "politely lying to him through my teeth" about how 'schsweet' it looks. ;-) Great name brand....just can't attach to it style-wise. For now, will only think Nigerian Red Pepper when considering Cayanne.

Lakoste ("G55") I know that to some it looks like a $104,000 upgrade of a Honda Element (wink!). But that aside, I can't believer a 6-figure SUV is going to have it's maintenance program discontinued....in that regard, you ain't getting what you paid for. Frankly speaking, as much "$" cachet as this sauna-on-wheels may carry, I wouldn't blow $100k on something like this unless I could afford 10 other "exotic" types in my "fleet." Put it this way: I'm prettier than Bill Gates...........but it ends there. :-)

tennis-n-sc ("both choices wrong.....both ML-500 & R.R.Spt. got bad reviews from every auto....") Well, not every one. Motor Trend did an "apples-to-apples" comparison between the two and while they gave the slight edge overall to the ML-500, they were pretty positive towards both. As for "your" ES330, that is one of the best "bang-for-the-buck" sedans out there. But again, I've got (frozen) water on the brain...that is, driving-in-snow on my mind.

Fee ("CRV....Pilot......RX300") Hey kiddo, guess what? Just today, around mid-day, I spied a brand spanking new, grey CRV in a parking lot. That little sucker is "evolving" .... nice-looking. Again, the Pilot is a rock-solid choice for a C.P.A. with 3.2 kids who drinks 3.2 beer. As for the RX330, nice ride, but outside of the exterior lights looking more "silvery" it seems to be "sitting in neutral" style-wise, much like the BMW X5. Don't get me wrong--a solid choice. Was looking at the GX470 (not the big LX470 bomb) but the "in-between" model. That too, was kind of blah. If anything (my personal taste), Lexus overall is very solid...but they're lacking that "ommph" or whatever it is that raises the heart beat a tad. A new "ride" has to excite you, not just simply satisfy function or utility--just my opinion. Rabbit, don't read into that last sentence, you rutting Rabbit Pig, you! (lol! oxoxoxox!)

Rabbit ("Why do I feel like Jimmy Olson?"): Feel? "LOOK" at it this way: at least you don't "LOOK" like Jimmy Olson, you big lug. Come on over here and let me give you a big hug.....there, there...... :-( .......

spam ("reliability...R.R.Spt."): Nice job, Brit! Thx for you candor. I have heard snippets of that. I know the Rovers are no longer being powered by BMW engines and now have Jaguar engines that they say (cost savings aside) are better. That remains to be seen. The AJ-V8 that Jaguar used was one of Ward's "Top 10 Engines" but that was back in 2000. As for the cabin of the R.R. Sport, I wasn't too taken with the R.R. Sport's interior--esp. for a vehicle of that price. The outside? I saw a understated toned down grey R.R. Sport and thought: "hmmm...that's new..what is it?" That piqued my interest. Frankly, I liked the look. But even though I like the "angled window" look, there are a few "red flags" popping up. Again, thanks for your "reliability" candor. As for the Merc G-wagon in 2007, yes, I've heard about it...supposed to be more "refined" (plush/comfort) from what I've heard. Have also heard that M-Benz is coming out with an AMG version ("souped" engine) a few years down the road. Btw, have you seen Merc's "R" class? It's a glorified station wagon that......well,....kind of wierd looking.

tennisislife ("Mercedes sucks they are for old ppl. i prefer alfa romeo")
Er.....uh.....yeah, tennisforlife, I know what you mean. I was thinking the same thing while looking at this silver 604 H.P. V-12 SL65 AMG Mercedes. Actually, probably only "old" people could afford that ride, ace. Now, Alf: which "Alfa" do you have? I recall the "164" sedan (er...discontinued) as well as the original rear-engine 850 Spider (er.....discontinued). The new Alfa "Spider" is a slick little roadster, and some of the recent sedans are nice, but Alfas all-too-often (across the board) share that "beak" look on the front grill much like the Suburu B9-Tribeca SUV--that is, Alfa Romeos look like the Wise Potato Chip OWL. I want a car to fly like a bird--not look like one. All kidding aside, there are some nice new Alfa sedans...but that would constitute a very compromised choice for a person living in a very large automobile market (N.Y.) which Alfa Romeo had to quit altogether for a while--now, where would that leave me, service/maintainene-wise? I've had Italian: Women? Amen! But Fiats?? Alfas?? Caveat emptor-city! I once had a neat/sweet little blue Fiat 2000 Sport that ran like a top and that I could dust "Z 2000's" with....yeah, it ran like a top alright.....provided the weather was 75 degrees and sunny. Otherwise, FIAT stood for: Fix It Again, Tony. Snow? A joke.

Good "Mercedes sucks...for old ppl." generalization about Mercedes Benz' though, er, Emerson Fittipaldi.

Johnny F ("Hummer3"): Nah....in my opinion, it's a little version of the H2 and the H2 as we speak is starting to lose "street cred" ... besides, the H3 version is woefully underpowered and (for the most part) seems to want to try and say: "Hey, Me Too!!" but falls short.

AAAA ("Imprezza ...... Mitsubishi Evo..while a man's driving it") That was good! That made me laugh. As for the R.R. Spt. not seen by many as a "real" Rover, I've also heard/read of those (esp. in Europe/Britan) grousing about the Range Rover (not the Sport or the LR-3) becoming too large and that the "Sport" model might attract those who were turned off by the "big" Range Rover's expanded platform. In any event, whatever the "social cachet" of a R.R. Sport, I'm not (chuckling) going to put it in the same social-garage as the Imprezza let alone the Evo.....even if the little Evo is as impressive (and intimidating!) as it looks (wink!).

Thanks again folks...keep going!......

Rabbit
12-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Rabbit ("Why do I feel like Jimmy Olson?"): Feel? "LOOK" at it this way: at least you don't "LOOK" like Jimmy Olson, you big lug. Come on over here and let me give you a big hug.....there, there...... .......

IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH LOOKING LIKE JIMMY OLSON? Not, of course, that I look like Jimmy Olson.

mabuhay
12-21-2005, 09:00 AM
mabuhay ("Chrysler 300"): Gnarly looking "face like a clentched fist"---"poor man's Rolls" grill in front. One major consideration would be winter (i.e. driving in snow). I like the SUV options in that regard. If going the "sedan" route, would want to look into AWD/snow alternatives (e.g. Infinity M-35X).[/QUOTE]

hmmm... i don't consider 50 cent a "poor man" ;) anyway, i just like the way this car looks. yeah, this is for those who can't afford a bentley :) (except 50c...lol!)

Fee
12-21-2005, 08:33 PM
DP (or should I say Senator?) go ahead and buy the MB, but if you do please make sure to tell them that you are a serious tennis fan and you appreciate their financial support of the ATP (even if you sound a little bit silly doing it). Squeezies. (Squeezy for you too Rabbit).

spam
12-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Sean check out timesonline.co.uk for todays review of the Rangy Sport/X-5

spam
12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
May not actually be on there as I read the paper not the web-doh!!Anyway good review if you can get hold of a copy,they may print it next week I guess.

Fee
12-27-2005, 09:11 AM
When is DP going to tell us which car he bought?

crosscourt
12-30-2005, 07:38 AM
If you don't want to use the off-road capabilities then a lot of what you pay for in a Range Rover becomes superfluous. At some point or other I have owned/hired/used just about all the different types of crossover 4x4s and the Range Rover comes out way on top for off-road use. But the things that make it good off-road, esp. the suspension, don't work so well on-road.

Dedans Penthouse
12-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks crosscourt. I did notice that the "Terrain Suspension" is great off-road (and adds a great deal to the weight of the vehicle) and truth be told, I wouldn't be using it much for off-road use.

spam: got the times.uk list of car reviews -- didn't yet see the one for the R.R. Sport

fee: still "sitting on the fence" .... also waiting to get hammered with the X-mas credit card bills (aghhh!.....I bought WHAT??!!)

Fee
12-30-2005, 12:58 PM
So... my gift is lost in the mail?