PDA

View Full Version : Any Miami Vice fans here?

PM_
12-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I was a MV fanatic growing up watching the show in the 80s. Just bought the 2nd season on dvd and can't wait to relive those moments again!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I saw the trailer for the new movie with Colin Farrel and Jamie Foxx and much to my surprise it looked damned good!
But before I was a bit disappointed they cast Colin Farrel for Sonny's role and why Michael Mann decided to use the MV name for the film.

For those of you who enjoyed the series, what you do think?

Newberry
12-16-2005, 08:52 PM
If they hack it like they do most great old TV shows, probably not!
I'm a big fan of the original show though, the visuals and music really made me a fan.

johnathan smith
12-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Man, I haven't been on forums for a while. Good to be back.
Anyhow, I wasn't a big fan, but I have at least 1-2 people a week tell me that I'm a dead ringer for Sonny Crocket from the old series.
Mostly women, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not :)

Newberry
12-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Heh, you must be one purty guy ;) (and I'm saying that in my most manly, straight guy voice)
Do you have constant 5 o'clock shadow like Crockett? Wear eggshell sportcoats over colored T's? Do you own a pair of Wayfarers?

That show dripped with cool... and surprisingly still seems cool when I catch a re-run (to a child of the 80's like me anyway).

Cruzer
12-19-2005, 07:09 PM
If they hack it like they do most great old TV shows, probably not!

"great old shows"!? You mean cultural classics like the Flintstones, the Brady Bunch, Bewitched, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, the Dukes of Hazzard? I was a teenager when all but the Flintstones aired and I thought they were mindless programs then.

Phil
12-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Never watched it when it was on prime time-I was too busy and didn't like the fact that the entire show looked like an MTV Video. However, watching the re-runs a few years ago...I kinda got into it. Won't even bother with the film version, though. Hollywood is totally out of ideas, and normally pretty much canabalizes TV adaptations (though the "Brady Bunch" was friggin' hilarious).

johnathan smith
02-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey Newberry,
As a joke, I actually was Don Johnson last Halloween. I had a white suit, pink t-shirt shirt, black sunglasses, badge, and slip on shoes with no socks. A few of my friends and girl-friend at the time bought it for me from Target. It all came in one big bag (one size fits all) I always have the 5 o'clock shadow.
There are some women who come in my father's business on a regular basis that have been calling me "Don" for the last 5 years. I am not sure if they even know my real name?? Anyhow, funny stuff. Back to tennis.....

raftermania
02-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I think the tv shows from the 80s were vehicle driven. On knight rider, you had the brilliant Transam K.I.T.T. (Knight Industries Two Thousand), on Magnum P.I., there was that wicked Ferrari and on MV there was that awesome speed boat. Oh I also can't forget the terrific helicopter from Airwolf and the speedy van driven by Mr. T on The A Team. Ohhh the memories, thanks PM.

http://kramy.com/knight_rider/poster.jpg
My Childhood Idols

Noelle
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Um,wow.

The trailer for the upcoming movie had me in stitches, and I still don't know why. I think it was because I started thinking the movie is going to suck badly.

PM_
02-22-2006, 09:19 PM
what on earth are you talking about?????????? that is the baddest trailer I've seen yet!!!!!
c'mon, noelle, just b/c i dislike you doesn't give you the right to be Princess Bringdown.

Noelle
02-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Me, Princess Bringdown? :o

The trailer they showed here was uber-cheesy. I'm a child of the 80's and I did watch Miami Vice, Knight Rider, A-Team, Magnum PI etc. and loved those shows. I'm just not sure how MV can translate to the big screen these days without being a huge cheese-out. That's all I was saying. :)

PM_
02-22-2006, 09:43 PM
you mean this trailer: http://www.miamivice.com/main.html
if you loved MV in the 80s, this will be the new MV of the millenium.

the trick is to reset your head and let MM do his magic...

tennis-n-sc
02-23-2006, 04:21 AM
I have enjoyed most of Michael Mann's films very much and from what I've read, movie goers will find the very little resemblence with the TV version.

PM_
02-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Not that's an optimistic mind!

tennis-n-sc
02-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Not that's an optimistic mind!

LOL. I could envision MM doing a redeux of the tv show.

PM_
02-23-2006, 11:24 AM
nah, he's too smart for that. did you hear how much protest was against him when MM casted colin farrel for the role of Crockett? But now I can see the logic: MM doesn't want to viewers to compare this movie to the tv series.

tennis-n-sc
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
I heard about all that. I did watch the trailer last nite and it has the expected grittiness of an MM film. I'll bet it does very well. The sound track seems to a rap version of the TV show, or at least parts of it.

Moose Malloy
02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
You do realize MM created the tv show?

tennis-n-sc
02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
You do realize MM created the tv show?

Moose, I had no idea. For real. Must have been some of his very first work.

Newberry
02-23-2006, 04:32 PM
After watching the trailer I'd have to give it a pass. If I hadn't known it was the trailer for MV, I wouldn't have guessed that it was in any way related to the show. I mean, where's the sunshine? The Ferrari? The bouncy Brazilians? No flamingos? Cmon! :)
The music sounded like some new video game and the camera angles were all way off, more like an episode of "cops" than the shooting of the MV of old.
I'm guessing the sexual content and language will also make not very "family friendly".

PM_
02-23-2006, 04:37 PM
This is the music:
Jay Z/Linkin Park -Numb Encore...download it.