PDA

View Full Version : TW Staff: Yonex RDX500 Review?

Aonex
06-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Hi, just wanted to find out from the TW Staff if there was anything new on this front. I believe a review was expected to come out sometime this week? My apologies if this has already been answered. Thanks.

Drizzt
06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Try posting this in the questions/comments section. If you dont you probably wont get an answer.

Aonex
06-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Drizzt. Will do. I see you too are eagerly waiting for this review.

TW Staff
06-01-2004, 04:27 PM
We have had to delay this review due to staff travel and various other set backs. Look for it to be up late next week or early the week of the 14th.

Sorry for the delay.

Chris, TW.

Aonex
06-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Chris. Look forwarding to reading the review.

Drizzt
06-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Aonex Im demoing the RDX 500 mid and MP tour-1 Mid. I'll be getting them in a day and will give you my 2 cents and yes I too can't wait to read it.

swilburn
06-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Drizzt, I owned both, still feel the rdx feels stiffer than the mp tour. The mp tour is heavier and hits a heavier ball. See what you think after the demo's.

Evolution
06-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Anyone have demoed and compared the RDX500MP against RDX300MP, or the RDX500MP vs the Wilson Tour 90/95?

audioaffliction
06-02-2004, 11:31 AM
I own the Tour 90 and have previously owned the MP Tour-1 90. I hit with the RDX500MP, RDX500 and RDX300MP at a recent Yonex demo day at my club. I also had the RDX500MP for a full weekend to demo. The short version is that I'm sticking with my Tour 90 and my old PS 85s for now. I didn't like the RDX300Mp at all, and found that both the RDX500 sticks played much better. Off the bat, the 500MP had the most "wow" factor. For relatively light racquets, both the 500 and 500MP seemed to generate pretty solid hits. I ultimately preferred the 500MP over the 500, simply because it seemed more fun to hit with and chose that as my weekend demo. Over the course of the weekend, I continued to be impressed by how easy it seemed to be to hit with the 500MP. A lot of this is probably due to the fact that it was a lot easier to swing this stick compared to the Tour 90. The killer for me was on serve, where I really felt like I was struggling. The lack of mass was really obvious here and I just didn't like it. I might give it another shot with different strings next time or a different tension, but the time spent with these sticks just made me appreciate my Tour 90 more (and I'm not a rabid fan or anything--they get the job done).

swilburn
06-02-2004, 11:42 AM
audioaffliction, might try tail weighting the RDX stick, give's it more mass and stability. It's normally 6 points head light. I agree the mp tour stick is more solid, I think due to the extra weight.

audioaffliction
06-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the tip, but I like playing stock. And sorry for the confusion, but I didn't actually make any comments on the MP Tour-1--my comparison was mainly against the Wilson Tour 90. The MP Tour-1 is, like you said, a more solid stick. I certainly never had trouble serving with it when I owned it. For some reason, I just never got comfortable with it on my backhand, which is why I went back to my old ProStaff 85, and eventually the Tour 90.

Drizzt
06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
swilburn. Does that mean that you think that the RDX is more powerful? Which do you think has more control and a better feel. Im still waiting on the demos but will get them tomorrow.

Drizzt
06-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Also Did you add any weight to yours swilburn?

audioaffliction
06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
swilburn. Does that mean that you think that the RDX is more powerful? Which do you think has more control and a better feel. Im still waiting on the demos but will get them tomorrow.

I certainly thought that the RDX was more powerful than I remember my Tour-1 to be. It's also more powerful than the Tour 90. As for feel, the RDX and MP Tour-1 have completely different feel. The Tour-1 has a crisp flavor to it--what I usually associate with "feel"--while the RDX feels more "buttery", which in some racquets can translate to a vague feeling. That said, I think if you like that "buttery" quality, you'll find the RDX has plenty of feel, in that you can always tell what the ball is doing on your racquet strings.

Drizzt
06-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the reply audioaffliction

swilburn
06-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Drizzt, I feel the mp tour is smoother and hits a heavier ball, which is due to it's heavier weight. To me the RDX plays stiffer and with more feeling or shock in the handle. It is easier to swing so you can finesse the ball more and that means control. Yes, I have added some lead tape the handle of my RDX 500 mp. I just like a little more weight than it comes with from the factory. It's still not as heavy as the mp tour1 after adding some lead. This also makes the RDX a little more head light and stable, which I like also. After all is said and done the RDX is quicker and stiffer that the mp tour1 but not as stable. I feel its a trade off for lower weight. IMHO. Just my personal preference. Let me know what you think after your demo.

Drizzt
06-03-2004, 06:05 PM
swilburn. I finally got them today and played a singles match and a few doubles matches tonight and this is what I have to say so far. Holy Crap what have I been missing. Both hit like a dream compared to my usuall Head intelligence X5 0S ( it has too much power) I mainly used the RDX 500 Mid (I used it in the singles match and 2 of my 3 doubles matches) and then i used the MP tour-1 in the last doubles match. I agree that the MP tour-1 can hit a heavier ball. I thought that it was more powerful. I didn't even have to take a very hard swing and it had plenty of pace on it. I found that the MP tour-1 was also easier to serve with. Im not sure but I think that I got about 80 % of my first serves in. Thats AMAZING for me. Usually I searve about 45%. I hit it a few miles an hour slower but ill take the higher percent over speed. The RDX was almost as stable but not as stable as the MP tour-1. I lilked it for returns since its a little lighter. I couldn't hit it as hard as with the MP tour-1 but i thought it was more consistent. I volleyd better with the MP tour-1. I think this is due to its heavier weight.

Overall after only 1 day of playing with them I like the MP tour-1 Mid better. Since I play the baseline 9 out of 10 points I like it better. I also like it better since it has awsome stability. Im going to use it in a singles match tomorrow.

Ill tell you more tomorrow night.

swilburn
06-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Drizzt, That lines up with my experence with the two also. I bought the RDX for my wife, but I have been messing with it on the side. I hit with it today. I still like the mp tour1 better. Did you feel the RDX is stiffer?

Drizzt
06-03-2004, 06:51 PM
swilburn, Im not very good at feeling for this but if I had to pick yes or no i would say that yes I found it stiffer. I think that its funny that we find it stiffer even though we find the MP tour-1 More powerful. I guess that that goes to show what a little more weight can do to a racquet. Just out of curiosity how old are you. Im 16. Im curious because you said for your "wife". What is you and your wifes NTRP ratings. She must be really good if she uses the RDX 500 mid (not to be rude to either one of you all)

Im about a 4.0-4.5, but I think with the MP tour-1 I can make it go to a 4.5-5.0. Im going to use it for an upcoming tournament that I have in 4 days so im gonna practice with it.

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts about these 2 great frames. What string and tension are in the MP tour-1 and RDX 500 you used. The demos I have have NXT Max 16 at middle tenion.

Thanks again

Drizzt
06-03-2004, 06:58 PM
swilburn, also I like the Isometric head shape on yonex racquets. I use a Full western forehand so i use a lot of spin. I was worried about the mid being to small but ive used a 95 inch head before (and old Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.1) and found the isometric head shape about 95 sq. inches really. I put the MP tour-1 up with the prostaff classic 6.1 and there even so its really 95 instead of 90. just wanted to say that also. As you can see I love the MP tour-1. I think im gonna get one if i can convince my parents to buy it ( I dont have a job yet).

swilburn
06-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Drizzt, I am closer to 50 that 40, leave at that. I am 3.5 to 4.0 NTRP if I were to guess. The wife liked the demo from TW. What she like's she gets! If it means she will hit tennis with me all the better! Yonex sticks have quite a following. They have real good touch and feel, the mp tour1 included. I normal play doubles now day's with my old standard stick, a Slazenger Silhouette that 17 years old. My tour1 was stolen recently.
RDX midplus strung with LaserFibre SuperNatural Phenom XRC 17 String @ 60lbs. Keep me posted or e-mail at
swilburn@ykc.com

Drizzt
06-04-2004, 09:16 AM
swilburn, I didnt play a actuall match today I just hit with a friend. I used the MP tour-1 and found it harder today to get depth on the ball for some reason. I used the RDX some and found that it was easy to control depth with it. I can put a lot of spin or a little if I want to.

swilburn
06-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Drizzt, the demo racket from TW is strung at mid-range +2lbs. That with the heavy racket could be the problem. Did you get tired swinging the tour1? How about control, did you have any balls sail long with the RDX? In a match I rather hit short than long. I struggled with the 12oz and 6 points head light setup of the mp tour1. I once again added some lead to the end cap to make more head light. It added some more weight but played better for me. I could get more head swinging speed and added some more stablity. Eight points head light is my best setup. I just can not get comfortable with the RDX yet.

Drizzt
06-04-2004, 05:05 PM
swilburn, I didn't get tired swinging the MP tour-1. I think the reason I found it harder to get depth with it was that the person i played in the singles match hit it harder and I think that I have better results counter punching. I can still get some pace on it if I get set up right. Today I was getting to close to the ball and hit it low in the hoop. With the RDX I didn't have balls sail long. I think that I would like the RDX better if i could just get a lilttle more pace on the ball with my forehand. I can get more pace on my backhand than with my usual racquet be less on my forehand, but I think that I can fix this if I could string it lower. I don't know why but the RDX to me feels a whole lot more forgiving on of center shots than the MP tour-1. The RDX's 90 sq. inch head also feels larger than the MP tour-1's 90 sq. inch head. Overall I think I think I like the RDX better... for now.

swilburn
06-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Drizzt, Sounds like your getting your money's worth out of the demo's. I think the RDX Demo is strung a little tight. I had mine strung with 17 ga. string at 60lbs. Depending on how hard you hit and how much spin you have, could back off the tension some. I don't know about the 90 sq. in rackets, I just hit with the 98's. Don't jump into buying a racket until your are sure!

Drizzt
06-04-2004, 08:07 PM
swilburn, this is only the second time ive demoed. The last time I did was year ago. I demoed a Dunlop 300g Midplus and a Volkl Cat 10. I was about a 3.5 player and I wasted my money then but not now as you stated. If i could I would restring it at a lower tension but I don't own a stringing machine. I hit it pretty hard and use a full western grip so I use a lot of spin. Im not going to be able to play tomorrow (family time). Unfortanatly that tournament that I was gonna enter and use the RDX in was postpomed for a week so I wont get to use either one. Since I dont have i job that means that i couldnt buy one (if i liked it better which i think i like the RDX better than my Intelligence X5 OS).

swilburn
06-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Drizzt, What does the RDX do that your x5 os doesn't? Sounds like more consistent serves. That's the best shot to get in! I struggle with mine, hate to lose a point with a double! Maybe you can pick one up used, that how I got mine. You could save 1/3 to 1/2. Main thing, just enjoy getting to play even if its with your x5. Shame the tournament didn't work out. Would have been a great chance to try the demo's under pressure.

swilburn
06-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Drizzt, If you need to keep the demo's for another week, call TW and see what they can work out. Might just cost another weeks demo fee.

Drizzt
06-05-2004, 05:24 PM
swilburn, my X5 has to much power and I hit my forehands long sometimes. My biggest problem is that I hit about less than 40% of my serves in. I think im gonna send them back and then ask them if I can demo the RDX 500 Mid again. I would keep them except I don't want to keep the MP tour-1. I got to hit with it again and I did find that I got tired. It was hotter today so i got tired. I used the RDX most of the time today and found it a whole lot easier to use and to get depth on. I still wish I could get a little more pace on my forehand. I was wondering... the string thats in it now is Wilson NXT Max 16g. I usually use Klip K-Boom 16g. With a lower tension and the Klip K-Boom would I notice that much more power in my shots, and which is more powerful the Klip K-boom a co polymer polyester or the NXT Max 16g. Have you used the NXT Max 16g before cause I like its feel and may make it my new string to use.

What is a string that would add power but yet is still durable. Since I use so much spin i need a really durable string?

I also had an idea but wanna ask you what you think before posting it in talk tennis. Since liquid metal retains it energy I was wondering if Liquid metal would make a good string. What do you think?

swilburn
06-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Drizzt, You might demo the 90 and the 98 version of the RDX next time. The 98 size head has more power and might be more forgiving. I think the nxt max 16 is a soft string, according to the web page. There are so many strings out there, I can only speak for the one's I have used. The Ashaway Dynamite 17 String has great power. The ball explodes off the racket. It plays a little harsher that other strings. Don't know about it's durability yet, read the user feed back on it. The other string I like is the LaserFibre SuperNatural Phenom XRC 16 or 17 String. It's plays softer but has good pop and feel. Both of these string hold tension very well! Read up in the String section of this board, It's very educational. Your Klip k-boom is a co-polymer/polyester string which is soft and lower power. Try the Ashaway Dynamite 17 for more feel or the 16 for more durability. Dynamite string is made of Zyex. I used Zyex string for years but it was made by prince back then. Here is the link for the Dynamite string.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACASH-ADYNAWB.html

Drizzt
06-05-2004, 06:39 PM
swilburn, I think that I am going to Demo the RDX 90 and 98 next time. After reading about the Ashway Dynamite it sounds exactly like what im looking for. Fortunatly its also cheaper than the K-Boom.

swilburn
06-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Drizzt, drop me a E-mail when you get your demo's next time and let me know was happenning.
swilburn@ykc.com

Drizzt
06-06-2004, 04:13 PM
swilburn, Ive taken a change. Today I played a lot of singles and like the MP tour-1 better. I got all but like 3 serves in and found out my problem on my forehand side. If I take the ball when its at its highest point instead of when is low like I did with my X5. I can hit it hard I asked them if i could keep the demos but they said that I couldnt due to the large demand to demo them. Im just gonna reorder the MP tour-1 Mid and MP tour-1 XF probably in 4 days.

swilburn
06-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Drizzt, Several user's have commented that the weight of the mp tour 1 takes awhile to get used to. I have demo-ed the mp tour xf. I did not hit well with it at all! Just too light and the extra length messed me up! It just does not carry throught the ball well for me. I feel the mp tour 1 swung a lot better. If the mp tour1 is working for you now, I think it would be a better racket. Just my 2 cents worth. But if you are going to demo the mp tour 1 anyway, might as well try the other, might work for you, as it has worked for lots of others. What about the 98" version. Might try it also. Have you ever tried the Pro Kennex 5g or 7g rackets? They both get great reviews! They are both a little lighter than the Yonex mp tour 1.
Drop me an e-mail at my personal address above if needed.

Drizzt
06-06-2004, 08:00 PM
swilburn, I am going to demo the MP tour-1 Mid and Midplus but not the XF. Ive wondered? Is a more flexible racquet easier to have touch with cause I can now drop the ball easier than with my X5?

Drizzt
06-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Also ive wondered who is your favorite pro? Mine is Lleyton Hewitt. Thats why I tried the MP tour-1 and RDX and also I tried the mids since he uses the Mid.

swilburn
06-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Drizzt, yes a flexible racket gives you more touch and feel. But less power. What ever racket you end up with, there will be a adjustment to it. I have not been following any players, just don't watch that much TV any more.