PDA

View Full Version : Table Tennis / Ping Pong

armand
12-17-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised to not find anything about this, because it's such a fun sport and a great substitute for tennis. You(can)use the same baseline strokes from tennis and it's great for sharpening your reflexes and just keeping your skills ready when on the mend(though hand-eye coordination is easier because the entire paddle face is the sweetspot and you hit it much closer to your hand).
Is table tennis not very popular in the U.S.? Here in Toronto, I know quite a few people who have tables in their basements.
P.S. The equipment used makes a big difference just as in real tennis.

bcsax123
12-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a Table in my basement. too bad theres only 4 feet from the edge to the wall.
Anyways, the equipment used is much more important than in tennis, a paddle 6 months old does not have enough grip to produce any topspin.
I use completely different strokes for table tennis. I use lots of spin on my forehand, and I always use slices on my backhand.

jj300
12-17-2005, 04:08 PM
i used to play ping pong all the time in poland. I was 10000x better at it at 10yrs old than I am now at 20yrs in tennis. Great sport. We used to go thru a sleeve of 6 balls because they would crack from long rallies from behind the table with super spin. Still play as much as I can and even tought my gf how to play so we can play together. (i still win though haha)

supersmash
12-17-2005, 04:10 PM
I play ping pong with my dad. I like to mess around with tennislike grips. It's fun but sometimes I get into the habit of volleying the ball.

*sigh* S&V

woo.

safin_protege
12-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Table tennis is very fun and a lot of my friends have tables in their basements. One of these friends tells me that table tennis is huge in Italy, and when he visits in the summer they have tables out on the beach - just like in America we have volleyball nets.

Baseline Basher
12-17-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm l337 at ping pong.

Wicked topspin crosscourt backhand.

tykrum
12-17-2005, 10:42 PM
I have a table and used to play a lot. My friends and I thought we were pretty good (and compared to other people that we played recreationally, like other tennis players, we were), so we joined a real league full of people whose first sport was table tennis. It just took all the fun out of it, because 'real' players just use slice and crazy spins, and I never figured out how to handle it somehow. I love just hitting topspin and some slice back and forth, but no speed and all spin is not cool. I really haven't ever gone back to playing after that. And that's after buying a REALLY nice racquet (paddle).

sdslyout
12-18-2005, 12:01 AM
We used to have a table, talk about fun. Hours and hours of playing. It got to the point that we replaced the net with a piece of cardboard and we all prefered the ridgid cardboard over the standard net

Clayplay
12-18-2005, 12:01 AM
i was over my friends house and she had a table tennis in her basement. i was so eager to play. i mean the friggin table was LOOKING at me. but we just ended doing something else because she doesn't really like to muck around :(

armand
12-18-2005, 12:32 AM
I have a table and used to play a lot. My friends and I thought we were pretty good (and compared to other people that we played recreationally, like other tennis players, we were), so we joined a real league full of people whose first sport was table tennis. It just took all the fun out of it, because 'real' players just use slice and crazy spins, and I never figured out how to handle it somehow. I love just hitting topspin and some slice back and forth, but no speed and all spin is not cool. I really haven't ever gone back to playing after that. And that's after buying a REALLY nice racquet (paddle).You should share this story in the 'What's the saddest thing you've ever done' thread.
But really, I've never been discouraged like that, not even after receiving a 21-3 beatdown after thinking I was such hotsh**
Anyway, when I play table tennis I just use my tennis skills and grips too(semi western forehand and an eastern grip one handed backhand). And many of my tennis friends play table tennis very much like the real tennis(except for those who use 2HBHs, although one guy does use 2 hands sometimes but I think it's only to get a laugh out of people).
We very often amaze ourselves during those lightning fast exchanges.
I wonder if table tennis has an effect on tennis elbow.

Docalex007
12-18-2005, 05:49 AM
I have a table out in the garage where I play my dad all the time (well, when we are not playing tennis). Table Tennis is so much fun! Playing for hours is no problem and its great cuz you can listen to the news, enjoy some small talk while playing, etc.

I use different strokes than in tennis and I take the ball extremely early on the rise and keep the ball very low. This gives for lightning fast play and keeps my opponent from being able to go on the offense. :)

goober
12-18-2005, 08:25 AM
I use to play all the time. I thought I was pretty good. I could hold my own against the other players at the local table tennis club.
Then I got to college and played some guys from Taiwan and China that played since they were like 4-5 years old and competitively in tournaments growing up. I then realized how badly I sucked :(

Sixpointone
12-18-2005, 08:48 AM
I do play some Table Tennis/Ping Pong. However, not as much as I used to. I think it is a great game. If only I had the space to store a Table at my place I'd play more often.

tykrum
12-18-2005, 09:29 AM
You should share this story in the 'What's the saddest thing you've ever done' thread.
But really, I've never been discouraged like that, not even after receiving a 21-3 beatdown after thinking I was such hotsh**

Yeah I keep kicking myself that I didn't spend the league registration fee and racquet money on racquetball (or tennis) stuff instead. When someone beats you 11-3 11-2 11-4 or something just based on the fact that you can't get some slow, sideways slice, ugly looking shot back over the net, it's pretty easy to get discouraged. Especially when you know that in tennis if they hit that kind of shot you'd hit a winner on it everytime, but it's not possible to play that way in table tennis (consistently).

PollACk
12-18-2005, 11:50 AM
At first when i started playing ping-pong i sucked, but now i can even beat my friend's dad , who plays in tourny's. And i was watching a ping pong match online and those dudes are crazy good.

sdslyout
12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Imagine a paddle made of a flexible material, not too ridgid but could flex abit. Maybe not, the paddle i used to have was modified, the handle was cross-drilled and the paddle surface(s) had 2 layers of contact paper applied,,, trick stuff. Lol

dmastous
12-18-2005, 12:28 PM
The more successfull ping pong players are small and quick. Like badminton the ping pong they play in Asia is a completely different game than the one we play (here in the US). While living in Asia I saw a few European players have success but the vast majority of good players are from China and other Asian countries.
I have a Vietnamese friend who, like us tennis players restringing our racquets, actually puts a new hitting surface on his paddle for tournaments.

go_nadal
12-18-2005, 02:10 PM
yeh i hav a table tennis table in my shed as well as a pool table... there are both great exept we play pool alot more than table tennis. but when we do play table tennis it is alot of fun i play my brother a fair bit but he usually wins. exept for last time when i beat him :)

armand
12-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Imagine a paddle made of a flexible material, not too ridgid but could flex abit. Maybe not, the paddle i used to have was modified, the handle was cross-drilled and the paddle surface(s) had 2 layers of contact paper applied,,, trick stuff. LolMy dad told me about this sponge surface he and his friends had on their paddles. It could generate amazing spin(I can't imagine even more spin) but it was outlawed soon after.

dmastous: oh definetely, the rubber wears out(dontcha hate that?) and can't grip the ball as well anymore. The rubber will eventually begin to peel off.

I bought a pack of balls and on the back it said that there has been a rule change and balls are now 40mm instead of 38. I remember some tennis balls a few years ago were also available in larger sizes. I liked them, what happened?

sdslyout
12-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Sure, there still around. Wilson Rally's. They come in a real can, about $1.75 for 3 balls.